Cambridge receivers..

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
Anyone familiar with Cambridge receivers? I am looking to replace my Marantz nr1504 with something new and I'm eyeing this Cambridge.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/camb551rbla/cambridge-audio-azur-551r-7.1-channel-home-theater-receiver-black-sale-reduced-100/1.html
I am a fan of the low profile design, this one seems to have more power and has 7 channel preamp outs... not just stereo. It doesn't have the room correction but I recently found that I prefer room correction turned off. I dont need atmos or any of that fancy immersive audio I'm really just looking for a step up in power as my current receiver seems to struggle with two channel music is my largish room.
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/the-evolution-of-my-living-room-theater.92932/
a link to my room
Currently using a 5 piece EMP: R55ti fronts, R5ci center and R5bi surrounds with 2 SVS S2000 sub woofers.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Anyone familiar with Cambridge receivers? I am looking to replace my Marantz nr1504 with something new and I'm eyeing this Cambridge.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/camb551rbla/cambridge-audio-azur-551r-7.1-channel-home-theater-receiver-black-sale-reduced-100/1.html
I am a fan of the low profile design, this one seems to have more power and has 7 channel preamp outs... not just stereo. It doesn't have the room correction but I recently found that I prefer room correction turned off. I dont need atmos or any of that fancy immersive audio I'm really just looking for a step up in power as my current receiver seems to struggle with two channel music is my largish room.
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/the-evolution-of-my-living-room-theater.92932/
a link to my room
Currently using a 5 piece EMP: R55ti fronts, R5ci center and R5bi surrounds with 2 SVS S2000 sub woofers.
I'd be concerned with reliability. It may be hearsay, but I believe I've seen threads about QC on more than one account in regard to Cambridge.

Also, since you say it struggles with 2 channel music, why not add a nice two channel amplifier.

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
I have put some serious consideration into just adding a two channel amp, and I may do that, however it just seems like a more limiting option to me. I consider adding some dipoles on my side walls from time to time, but don't have that option with my current receiver only being 5.1.
Oh well I'm not going to buy anything until I finish paying for the pottery barn media center that I just purchased so I have few months to do research especially on the QC thing seth mentioned. I just dont hear much regarding the Cambridge on these forums and was wondering if anyone had personal experience.
Oh and regarding the features... its amazing how much I dont use any of the extra features on the Marantz, the only thing I could see myself actually missing is the front HDMI out as I have used that one or two times in the past couple years...

billg71

billg71

Audioholic Intern
I'm very satisfied with the CRX 120, can't comment on reliability since I've only had mine for 3 months. I'm very impressed with the sound, it compares with or exceeds my old NAD integrated and definitely is better than the Pioneer VSX-1121 it replaced. Plus I can run all my video through it which was what prompted the replacement of the NAD.

Power is sufficient to drive my Gallo Ref 3.1s to hard rocking levels without distortion. It has a minimal auto EQ but I couldn't really tell a difference between running it and setting speaker distance and crossover points manually. I run a 2.0/2.1 setup so I can't say how it would work with multiple speakers. It also isn't HDMI 2.2 compliant if that matters.

And I can't say how it would compare to the lower-end models like the one you're considering. But I'm very happy with it.

HTH,
Bill

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis