Cambridge Audio Azur 851 HiFi Separates Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Cambridge Audio's Azur 851 hifi stereo separates aren't exactly inexpensive; however, compared to the flagship level products from other marques, an $1,849 preamplifier and a $2,499 stereo amplifier are downright pedestrian in pricing. Unsurprisingly, Cambridge claims to deliver near distortion free audio from their finest offerings; of course there's also no shortage of power on tap, with the Azur 851W capable of delivering 200W into 8 ohms, and 350W into 4 ohms.

Curious to know more? Click to watch the Cambridge Azur 851 video review and read the highlights.

Read our Cambridge Azur 851 Hifi Separates Review

Do you own these or want to? Let us know what you think.

Last edited by a moderator:
M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
The Cambridge Azur components are well built and have great sonics. They are assembled in the same northern China factory as the higher end NAD components, and if U check closely U will find some similarities...

Just my $0.05... ;)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The Cambridge Azur components are well built and have great sonics. They are assembled in the same northern China factory as the higher end NAD components, and if U check closely U will find some similarities...

Just my $0.05... ;)
Not surprising. People like to diss Emotiva for being made in China meanwhile most of the high end stuff is made is also made in China and often at the same factory!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Just my $0.05... ;)
Not surprising in this day and age, but are you saying that NAD and Cambridge Azur are basically clones? :D

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Not surprising in this day and age, but are you saying that NAD and Cambridge Azur are basically clones? :D
They do have some differences..
The NAD components were designed a couple of years back, so the Azur are later designs. The similarities are output stage configurations, power supply supplies, chassis/mechanical toolings. I have visited the China factory many times and seen both on the product lines. The same factory builds the internet radio modules found in the HK, Onkyo, Yamaha and Denon/Marantz AVRs...:eek:
Also the factory supplies many of the widely used components in the wireless, audio multi-room categories..

Just my $0.05.. ;)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I have the older 840E so naturally I am curious about the so called vast improvements. The specs of the 840W and 850W looks almost identical. The 851 preamp does offer lower THD+N but is like 0.00045 vs the 0.0006 for the 840 at 1 kHz and 0.00057 vs 0.003 at 20 kHz; but the 851's SN and XT are actually not as good as the 840's, 11 and 5 dB worse respectively. So once again, amps are good for long time without upgrade.:D

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Not surprising. People like to diss Emotiva for being made in China meanwhile most of the high end stuff is made is also made in China and often at the same factory!
Gene..
This factory is very unique, it is privately owned but one of the largest in northern China. They are very innovative due largely to a high number of younger, energetic Chinese engineers as there are 5 universities within this city. They design/build complete audio components but also produce key technology modules used in many name brand products. For example, Denon, Marantz, HK, Onkyo and Yamaha AVRs use their internet tuner module, the module is quite unique has a powerful processor and includes a USB port (for audio and iOS devices), MP3, WMA decoding, ethernet capability. Also I am sure you have seen that high-end wireless 7.1 surround loudspeaker system, this factory designed/built all of its electronics.

Just my $0.05... ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am curious about the so called vast improvements.
"Vast Improvement" Translation: It's not really any significant improvement, but saying such is great for marketing and selling. :D

@

@lec

Audiophyte
About Cambridge Audio

About Cambridge Audio and the fact that is Made in China....
Let me tell you about my history with this brand: I have bought a brand new Stream Magic 6 from our local dealer.
It is not important that I waited for about a month to get it (and we are in EU just like UK) in Silver and this after paying its entire price in advance...Is not cheap either...
When this thing came to me, from the first time I plug it in, its left channel (the white un-balanced output analog) didn't sounded at all it was mute. I was stunned, imagining problems with my 700 Euros cable, my receiver...After a while it went on but from time to time, especially first time you turn it on from its back power switch, the phenomenon repeat itself: no sound on the left channel.
After dealing with it for a couple of weeks to take away any errors on my existing stereos, I went with the StreamMagic to the place our dealer sent me, meaning to a repair center.
The guys there after a few days indeed, told me that the "thing|" was in to small OPPCAPS I think, from the DAC.
They replace them and they gave it to me back.
I don't mind that they repair it, but talking about Made in China and quality control...It appear that they ask for this 900 euros and in fact you receive a poor crappy Chinese thing that it didn't even pass thru an ordinary Quality Control of any kind.
So it might me a place where Chinese have their best factory, still this is something above any Chinese product possibilities...
What I don't understand is why on earth it cost so much when you don't get a flawless product in the first place! What in fact are we paying ? The Chinese manufacturer cost???
I would not recommend to anyone buying Cambridge Audio since you will get a "repaired" product for new money....
This are my 50 Cents....

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
About Cambridge Audio and the fact that is Made in China....
Let me tell you about my history with this brand: I have bought a brand new Stream Magic 6 from our local dealer.
It is not important that I waited for about a month to get it (and we are in EU just like UK) in Silver and this after paying its entire price in advance...Is not cheap either...
When this thing came to me, from the first time I plug it in, its left channel (the white un-balanced output analog) didn't sounded at all it was mute. I was stunned, imagining problems with my 700 Euros cable, my receiver...After a while it went on but from time to time, especially first time you turn it on from its back power switch, the phenomenon repeat itself: no sound on the left channel.
After dealing with it for a couple of weeks to take away any errors on my existing stereos, I went with the StreamMagic to the place our dealer sent me, meaning to a repair center.
The guys there after a few days indeed, told me that the "thing|" was in to small OPPCAPS I think, from the DAC.
They replace them and they gave it to me back.
I don't mind that they repair it, but talking about Made in China and quality control...It appear that they ask for this 900 euros and in fact you receive a poor crappy Chinese thing that it didn't even pass thru an ordinary Quality Control of any kind.
So it might me a place where Chinese have their best factory, still this is something above any Chinese product possibilities...
What I don't understand is why on earth it cost so much when you don't get a flawless product in the first place! What in fact are we paying ? The Chinese manufacturer cost???
I would not recommend to anyone buying Cambridge Audio since you will get a "repaired" product for new money....
This are my 50 Cents....
News flash: a large percentage of all electronics have been manufactured in China for a LONG time. Saying you want something for the lowest possible price but it can't be manufactured in China suggests you don't understand that you are part of that food chain. If you want it manufactured where you live, expect to pay a LOT more. Quality issues can be a result of Chinese manufacture, but the reality is, that is still a quality control issue at the company level not a "where it was manufactured" issue.

J

Jonas Petersen

Audiophyte
Great sounding products, low quality.
Bought from new the cdplayer Cambridge 851C. Priced in Denmark at 1400 dollars it isnt exactly cheap.
Great build quality and good hifi sound. But oh the quality.
It took 3 different players before I had one that worked.
The first one just died on me. After a couple of days it wouldnt turn on.
Of to the shop to get a replacement. The black one was sold out, so it was swapped to a silver one.
After a couple of days the cd tray sometimes wouldnt close.
Again of to the shop. No one left in stock. Had to drive 40 miles to get a replacement. But this time in black at least...
Cambridge reminds me of where Nad was maybe 6-10 years ago. Great reasonably priced products, but low quality overall. Too bad.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis