Calling all Wi-Fi gurus - "bridge" mode question

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Try to configure asus and fios wifi on separate channels. In smaller place probably makes sense to have only one wifi ap

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
How do I do that? Should I just turn the Fios wifi off?
Disabling wifi or changing wifi channels should be easy, just look up the manual
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=G6moVM-eO8eeyAT53YGYAw&url=http://www.verizon.com/cs/groups/public/documents/adacct/fios-qgr-userguide140925.pdf&ved=0CB8QFjAA&usg=AFQjCNEbGPWSCstIg1IwSD6x00iqQmS1Og&sig2=kDTPVu8WgR8t-KwpS3mDEQ

Quantum router support ac up to 1300 maps, asus supports up to 1700.

I'll try to find a way to bypass it just like article you posted look up last illustration

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Disabling wifi or changing wifi channels should be easy, just look up the manual
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=G6moVM-eO8eeyAT53YGYAw&url=http://www.verizon.com/cs/groups/public/documents/adacct/fios-qgr-userguide140925.pdf&ved=0CB8QFjAA&usg=AFQjCNEbGPWSCstIg1IwSD6x00iqQmS1Og&sig2=kDTPVu8WgR8t-KwpS3mDEQ

Quantum router support ac up to 1300 maps, asus supports up to 1700.

I'll try to find a way to bypass it just like article you posted look up last illustration
I already know how to disable the wi-fi, is that all I need to do? If so, then I got this.

However, is it normal for the Quantum to be delivering faster speeds than the Asus? When I connect the Quantum and run speedtest and then to the Asus and run speedtest the Quantum wins 9 times out of 10.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Try to do test again with only one device creating wifi at the time. Right now you may have a conflict between these devices. Also run the test from different room. As far away as possible from routers

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Tried it again, with the quantum disabled. Getting better speeds from the Asus, but still slower than what the Quantum was giving me from the same location. To be clear, I'm not complaining, just curious why this would be.

Advertised speeds: 75 Mb/s down 75 Mb/s up

Quantum: 80 Mb/s down 85-90 Mb/s up

Asus: 65-70 Mb/s down 78 Mb/s up

Edit: I just tested it again and I'm down to 55 Mb/s down 70 Mb/s up with the Asus. So I'm guessing the speed is also fluctuating.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Third hijack is the charm lol, I have a simple question regarding wifi and smart tv , I think the pq could be affected by using the wifi on the new sammy when using netflix and amazon. The blu rays are so much better and even the cable hd box is far superior. should I be hard wired for netflix/amazon prime and hbo go instead of wifi ??

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Third hijack is the charm lol, I have a simple question regarding wifi and smart tv , I think the pq could be affected by using the wifi on the new sammy when using netflix and amazon. The blu rays are so much better and even the cable hd box is far superior. should I be hard wired for netflix/amazon prime and hbo go instead of wifi ??
I would hard wire if possible. What internet speed are you paying for, have you verified what speeds you're getting over wifi, what router are you using?

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
I am using motorola surfboard modem 400 series model #sb6141 over comstuck cable with a linksys AC1600 dual band router delivering the goods.
21.38 Mbps down and 6.29 Mbps up.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Tried it again, with the quantum disabled. Getting better speeds from the Asus, but still slower than what the Quantum was giving me from the same location. To be clear, I'm not complaining, just curious why this would be.

Advertised speeds: 75 Mb/s down 75 Mb/s up

Quantum: 80 Mb/s down 85-90 Mb/s up

Asus: 65-70 Mb/s down 78 Mb/s up

Edit: I just tested it again and I'm down to 55 Mb/s down 70 Mb/s up with the Asus. So I'm guessing the speed is also fluctuating.
Did you test far away from both routers or next to them? Asus should have longer range.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Did you test far away from both routers or next to them? Asus should have longer range.
Asus does have longer range. I can go outside and still get the Asus and not the Quantum. However I tested the speeds in the same room as both, one room away, and two rooms away. All three tests had the Quantum beating the Asus in download and upload speeds.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I am using motorola surfboard modem 400 series model #sb6141 over comstuck cable with a linksys AC1600 dual band router delivering the goods.
Hmmm. I'd expect that AC1600 and Samsung to be able to handle 21.38 Mbps over 802.11n just fine. When you check the network status on the Samsung, does it show a strong Wi-Fi signal?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Asus does have longer range. I can go outside and still get the Asus and not the Quantum. However I tested the speeds in the same room as both, one room away, and two rooms away. All three tests had the Quantum beating the Asus in download and upload speeds.
Which device you were using to test the speeds?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Everything sounds fine as far as I can tell. I would try hardwiring and seeing how it goes. Then again it could just be the TV doesn't do wi-fi as well say, an external box like the fireTV or a Roku 3. I've done wi-fi with both and they perform pretty well. The only question I could ask is, did you test the speed next to the TV?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Fuzz:
1) Update Asus to latest firmware
2) Make sure QOS is turned off - I noticed it's really slowing things down for me on my AC66U
Make sure your are testing wifi on quantum and asus using same wifi channels - to illuminate the chances of potential wifi interference from neighbors wifi

Also read up on these forums:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/networking-wireless/725501-asus-rt-ac66u-tweaking-optimization.html
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=9124
I'll have to read up on those links. There is no QOS settings for the Asus in AP mode. Both were tested on the 2.4 channel.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Yes I did it right on the stand that the tv is on , I think/know once this panel is in place in the HT I will hard-wire anyhow and forgo the wifi to the tv altogether. I never was a big fan of wifi in the house because I swear it bothers my tinnitus but of course I could never be sure of that and convincing the little lady to plug in at home would be almost impossible , I mean she would do it if it is a matter of my comfort level with my ears and all but she is a non believer in the wifi affecting me and I am on the fence about it. I know in this day and age , tablets, lap tops, kindle , smart tv , phones, I am fighting a losing battle anyhow, as wireless is everywhere. EMF/RF has been shown to increase tinnitus levels in multiple tests.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
2.4 Ghz Frequency (not channel) has 11 sub-frequencies or channels from #1 1 to 11

Lets say (for example) that Quantum is by default on channel 6, while Asus is by default on channel 1. If you neighbor has strong wifi also on channel #1 will would affect Asus performance.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis