U

Unregistered

what type of cable can be used for sub cable, can i use a digcoax, the reason I ask is the dig is thicker and seems more insulated than the actual "sub"cable . can this be done ?

thanks

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Yep

Unregistered said:
what type of cable can be used for sub cable, can i use a digcoax, the reason I ask is the dig is thicker and seems more insulated than the actual "sub"cable . can this be done ?

thanks
If the Sub has a LFE and or RCA L/R input any RCA type cable will work

U

Unregistered

JohnA said:
If the Sub has a LFE and or RCA L/R input any RCA type cable will work
do you consider coax to be RCA type ?
what about using dig coax for video cable (the yellow)

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Yep

Unregistered said:
do you consider coax to be RCA type ?
what about using dig coax for video cable (the yellow)
There are two "types" of Coax :confused: 1) your cable/SAT cable which is Coax cable with a "F" connector :) 2) Digital Coax which uses a standard RCA type connector :D

Any RCA Type cable will work including a "dig coax" cable :D

Hope that helps

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Simplify your life. Look at it like this.

"Coax", or "co-axial" is a type of cable.

"RCA", "BNC", or "F-type" are types of connectors which, depending on it's usage, can go on a co-axial cable. There are other types, but you probably get the idea.

W

Willow

Audioholic Intern
markw said:
"Coax", or "co-axial" is a type of cable.

"RCA", "BNC", or "F-type" are types of connectors which, depending on it's usage, can go on a co-axial cable. There are other types, but you probably get the idea.
ok why would one buy a "digcoax" and not use 1 of the stereo pairs for digcoax or viceverca

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Good question

Willow said:
ok why would one buy a "digcoax" and not use 1 of the stereo pairs for digcoax or viceverca
You can....the term digital "coax" is misleading

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I typically use RG-6 cable (like is hooked to your cable box) and convert the F-connector to RCA and it sounds really good. This is about a $5.00 solution that people are willing to sell you for $50.00+

From what I understand, you can use about any 75 ohm cable to carry audio to a sub and it should work very well.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Almost sounds like a dare, but here's a little reading for you.

Willow said:
FWIW, I've never heard the term "digcoax" before. But, in any case, here's something to think about

Video signals, and digital as well, work best if passed through cables with a 75 ohm impedance. If a cable is designed for these functions, you can pretty much assume that they are interchangable. The fact that they ar terminated in with RCA connectors is an industry standard.

Audio, OTOH, works quite well with virtually any coaxial cable and are fairly non critical of the impedance. These can range from anywhere from 50 to 110 ohms. Audio doesn't care. If you notice, that 75 ohm cable used for video falls right smack in the middle here.

Back in the day, audio cables were pretty much anything. Since audio didn't care, most manufacturers were pretty easy to please. When video came along the need for 75 ohm cables became more critical. The same equipment could make both. They would need to retool specifically with 75 ohm cable for video and put different colored RCA jacks on the end. Somewhere, some guy got the idea that since 75 ohm works for everything and it doesn't cost more than the other stuff, why not make ALL RCA cables out of 75 ohm cable and simply change the RCS connectors on the end.

So, modern audio cable will PROBABLY work for video functions, there may still be some of the non 75 ohm stuff out there.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis