CableCARDs - A Primer

<P><FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=2>You probably keep hearing about CableCARD technology (also called "Digital Cable Ready") - or&nbsp;perhaps you've <EM>never</EM> heard of it. In either case, there's good news for you as a consumer. After fighting it for almost ten years, the cable-TV industry is now subject to an FCC mandate that states that all providers must offer CableCARDs as of July 1, 2004.&nbsp;CableCARD is&nbsp;a PCMCIA Type II card (like the cards you put into laptops for network or wireless access that serves as an interface between third party tuners and the cable company. CableCARD slots are appearing on most new&nbsp;digital HDTVs and boy are they a significant improvement...</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=2>[Read On]</FONT></P>

Last edited by a moderator:
nick_danger

nick_danger

Audioholic
Sure enough, I buy the TV that doesn't have this...

OK, I've got DVI and HDMI ports, and word on whether they'll make an adapter at some point? Obviously, the technology is just a high-quality tuner, so an external device connected via one of these high-bandwidth digital ports wouldn't degrade the quality.

Any chance we can get a snapshot of the comparison? I realize it's not the same as seeing it live, but how significant are we talkin' here?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I would love to see some cable card technologies that provide features similar to Tivo service. It drives me bonkers that the only way I can do DVR is through my cable company (HD).

Why is it so much to ask for DVR & HD/Digital cable that actually looks good and provides features that make sense? All in a box that I don't have to rent every month?

The DVR service my cable company provides is a joke... At least it records HD, but it is a long way from Tivo in features, and the box is a long way from many others in quality and performance.

I hope these cards open up the market to Samsung & Sony or others who may make HD Tivo cable boxes or the like.

nick_danger

nick_danger

Audioholic
BMXTRIX said:
I hope these cards open up the market to Samsung & Sony or others who may make HD Tivo cable boxes or the like.
It's only a matter of time...

Technically, if you choose, you could get the new ATI HDTV card. It has a few problems and it would require PC integration with your HT, but it has TiVo functionality and records HDTV... the time will come. But I hear ya, I want it now!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis