F

Fife

Junior Audioholic
Is there a need for speaker wire terminals (at either end)? Are they only used to prevent shorts, or is the connection more secure when bare wire is not used?
Thanks

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
They are not mandatory but they do make connections much more secure and easier. Real estate on the back of modern receivers is at a premium and it's really, really easy to short them out. All it takes is one teeny weeny widdle stwand to kick in the ol' protection circuitry.

Personaly, I will NOT attempt hooking up a multi channel HT, either my own or a friends, without banana plugs. If they want me to hook it up for 'em, they are gonna blow for RatShack cheapo banana plugs or else they do it themselves.

FWIW, spade lugs work well also but they take up more room and are more difficult to connect to the HT. I'd use then on speakers but I still prefer bananas, though.

Now, on my trusty old two channel Marantz 2270, I have no problem with bare wires. There's room aplenty back yonder.

Last edited:
F

Fife

Junior Audioholic
I assume that banana terminals are preferred over spade? I've never used any yet. I've seen some terminals with side entry and rear entry. Is one preferable? I"m going to use 10 or 12 AWG wire. Any reccomendations for relatively inexpensive brands.
Thanks

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I "prefer" bananas over spades due to the ease of insertions into the 5 way binding posts that clutter the back of modern receivers. It's easier to stick 'em in the top than to try to slide spades in from the sides.

I'd check out http://www.partsexpress.com and other mail order houses, perhaps some of this sites sponsers even, for good prices on these.

Don't go bonkers thinking that if you spend big bucks you will get better sound.

F

Fife

Junior Audioholic
Thanks, I just ordered some Dayton plugs from Parts Express.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You chose ......wisely.

50 points if you can name the movie and character that is from.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
It was the knight who guarded the Holy Grail in the third Indiana Jones movie.

Bare wire is an excellent conection, but the way most receivers are made these days with very bunched-up binding posts, you have to have ET's fingers to solidly make all the connections in the back. Bare wire is much more likely to hang out the back of the binding post and cause a short. 'Nanner plugs are much more convenient and safe, the more so for those who tweak or move their systems often. :)

Just check if you have space in your audio rack for the additional length needed for the plug and make sure you squeeze the wire into the plug. ;)

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Leprokon wins the prize. 50 points.

These will be immediately applied to your driver's license. Of course, here in bee-yoo-tee-ful New Jersey, located on the banks of the scenic Hudson river (ignore those floating things), this are not exactly a good thing.

With 12 you sloose your license so I gues you'll be walking for a few years. ;)

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
50 points.

I live in Oklahoma, where a few other people had 50 or so points hung on them recently.

Good thing I root for blue & orange, not dark red and dingy white....

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
Leprkon said:
50 points.
I live in Oklahoma, where a few other people had 50 or so points hung on them recently.
I don't care what univeres you're from, that's gotta hurt.

D

DSMCasey

Junior Audioholic
For the Record Blue Jean Cable recommends you don't use banna plugs since they can easily come out and are just "another item to fail". But, on the other hand they LOOK much nicer and are much easier to connect a HT. Its really up to the person. I don't personally use them.

-Case

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis