Cable Raceway 1.5 x 0.5 x 36 inches

M

mminten

Audiophyte
I am looking to run a Cable Raceway up my wall from the baseboard to the TV to hide my cables. I need to fit at least a power cable, a coax cable and a cat-6 cable. It would be nice to have an HDMI cable in the top portion but not necessary. I was trying to find something around 1.5 inches wide and only 0.5 inches high. My baseboards are 0.5" and I would like them to be flush with the baseboard.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I can go up to 2 inches wide but don't want to much more.

The closest I have found is the Wiremold Cordmate III but it is .75 inches high: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Legrand-Wiremold-CordMate-III-High-Capacity-Cord-Cover-Kit-White-C310/205091975

Otto Pylot

Otto Pylot

Junior Audioholic
Whatever you choose, I would separate your HV cabling from your LV cabling which may mean another conduit. As far as CAT-6, I'd use a solid core, UTP (non-CCA/CCS and not pre-terminated) cable.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
If you have access to a router, you can make your own! :) This will be my strategy.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Also, doubt that it sticking out a bit more than your baseboard will aesthetically mean much.

M

mminten

Audiophyte
Whatever you choose, I would separate your HV cabling from your LV cabling which may mean another conduit. As far as CAT-6, I'd use a solid core, UTP (non-CCA/CCS and not pre-terminated) cable.
So what happens if I have HV and LV together? I imagine you mean HV being the power cable and LV being Coax and CAT-6 right? Is 120V considered High Voltage? All cables except power are already in place so I can't pick a different CAT-6. Would it matter much if they were in a raceway right next to each other? Is it a big difference?

Otto Pylot

Otto Pylot

Junior Audioholic
HV = high voltage (power cords, house wiring, etc). LV = low voltage (HDMI, ethernet, coax, speaker wire, etc). If you have separate conduits then you should be fine as far as interference and CL2/3 ratings (fire ratings) go. Having a 120 line physically next to an HDMI cable may cause random interference which would drive you crazy trying to figure out the cause. It's always best to keep LV and HV wiring as far apart as is reasonable.

M

mminten

Audiophyte
HV = high voltage (power cords, house wiring, etc). LV = low voltage (HDMI, ethernet, coax, speaker wire, etc). If you have separate conduits then you should be fine as far as interference and CL2/3 ratings (fire ratings) go. Having a 120 line physically next to an HDMI cable may cause random interference which would drive you crazy trying to figure out the cause. It's always best to keep LV and HV wiring as far apart as is reasonable.
So, what if I don't have an HDMI cable in there? If it is just Ethernet, Coaxial (for over the air TV antenna) and a surge protector powercord?

I can move the HDMI cable out of the channel and just mount the speaker that uses it to the bottom of the TV. I could also use an Optical wire for the speaker. Would that be affected by the HV line?

We don't have any game consoles or DVD/BluRay players that will run through the channel. Nothing with video, just data, antenna and power.

Otto Pylot

Otto Pylot

Junior Audioholic
There are no absolutes about running LV and HV together as far as interference goes because you may or may not get interference depending on how insulated the wiring is. Depending on building codes it may or may not be ok (provided you disclose that information about your in-wall wiring at time of sell ;)). All you can do is try. Just keep in mind that the higher video standards (HDMI 2.1 and beyond) may be more subject to interference if you go that route in the future. Ethernet, coax, and power cord would probably be ok inside the same conduit and just run your video (HDMI, what ever) through a separate conduit for future proofing and safe, cable replacement.

M

mminten

Audiophyte
There are no absolutes about running LV and HV together as far as interference goes because you may or may not get interference depending on how insulated the wiring is. Depending on building codes it may or may not be ok (provided you disclose that information about your in-wall wiring at time of sell ;)). All you can do is try. Just keep in mind that the higher video standards (HDMI 2.1 and beyond) may be more subject to interference if you go that route in the future. Ethernet, coax, and power cord would probably be ok inside the same conduit and just run your video (HDMI, what ever) through a separate conduit for future proofing and safe, cable replacement.
Ok, thanks for the clarification. None of this is in wall, it is all in conduits placed on the wall so I can easily remove the power cord if needed. I appreciate the tips!

J

JDM

Enthusiast
I’m stuck doing this with speaker and HDMI cables because boss doesn’t want any holes in her new house. Lucky for me they will be hidden behind wood blinds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis