L

larmisk

Audiophyte
Hi,
I would like to expand my current stereo system to a home theatre surround sound system( I have a Denon receiver built for this) and I have a question about cable quality. I have read and been told by various people that I am wasting my money by buying high quality cables such as Monster.
Any thoughts? Larry

L

lukejr

Enthusiast
I agree with Matt in the respect to them being overpriced. While I feel Monster products are pretty decent, once you factor in their astronomical price markup they are far from the best value. I wouldn't go as far as calling them 'junk' though. There are just better options available to you. I've tried blue jean and they are pretty good quality at a real world price for most consumers.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
I wouldn't exactly call MC products "junk", I would say that they are extremely overpriced and as a company engage in unethical and monopolistic business practices (IMO & in laymans terms are out to screw you and everyone else they can). For far less money you can have far better quality cables from companies like Blue Jeans Cables. Or cables from Monoprice. I have both and personally I prefer the Blue Jeans Cables for looks and quality.

Jack

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Monster cable devotes more dollars towards marketing and legal expenses than they do to improving the product. You can get as good as, or even better, product for a lot less money.

I don't mind paying Hyundai prices for a Hyundai, but all the marketing in the world can't make me think it's a Ferrari by charging Ferrari prices for it. But, a lot of unsuspecting people do fall for this scheme.

Check out Blue Jeans Cables for one.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/clt.pl?homevdeo&1214076965
I purchased a few HDMI cables from Verastarr and a few for my friends.
Great cables. Handmade. Retail $330.00 on special $89.00. Still a lot of money but very good quality, and they look great.
Are they better than $25.00 cables? Who knows. At my age it's hard to tell the difference maybe there is? When you spend a lot of money on something you always say to yourself it's better.

Last edited:
L

lukejr

Enthusiast
Great cables. Handmade. Retail $330.00 on special $89.00. Still a lot of money but very good quality, and they look great.
Are they better than $25.00 cables? Who knows. At my age it's hard to tell the difference maybe there is? When you spend a lot of money on something you always say to yourself it's better.
That may work for some people, but for me if I spend lots of money (or even a few dollars) I have to truly believe what I am getting is worth it. The product has to convince me, rather than me convincing myself.

I usually don't buy into hype, aesthetics, or marketing. I make sure the product speaks for itself. Cables must SOUND good rather than LOOK good. Besides I hardly ever look at cables when they are hidden behind the components.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
That may work for some people, but for me if I spend lots of money (or even a few dollars) I have to truly believe what I am getting is worth it. The product has to convince me, rather than me convincing myself.

I usually don't buy into hype, aesthetics, or marketing. I make sure the product speaks for itself. Cables must SOUND good rather than LOOK good. Besides I hardly ever look at cables when they are hidden behind the components.
I am not saying these Verastarr Cables are no good, they are excellent. I also have a Monster Cable and a real cheap one. The Verastarr is a great cable and not some hype. If I would have 3 of the same systems then I could be sure which one is better, just by changing cables I am having a hard time. If I would need another one I would buy Verastarr, for that price why not.

D

Dizastical

Audioholic Intern
I would say check out blue jeans web site and just read through what they say about the cables they make. It just makes sense. They tell you like it is without any marketing sceams. I just bought an entire system of wires from them and I love them. Just my .02.

Dave

Matt34

Matt34

I wouldn't exactly call MC products "junk", I would say that they are extremely overpriced and as a company engage in unethical and monopolistic business practices (IMO & in laymans terms are out to screw you and everyone else they can). For far less money you can have far better quality cables from companies like Blue Jeans Cables. Or cables from Monoprice. I have both and personally I prefer the Blue Jeans Cables for looks and quality.

Jack
Well, they might not technically be junk but the company sure is.;)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
HDMI cables are digital interface cables. They either work or they don't. In rare situations where a long cable is needed for a custom installation should your HDMI choice be even slightly difficult. In short runs, 12 feet or less, most any HDMI cable will handle all that is needed without suffering drop outs.

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
The markups on every Monster product are astronomical. More than any other accessory brand in the chain B&M world.

But, I can't lie, I love my Powerbar 2100. It was free. =D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis