Cable pulled out my RCA Plug...

Monsterx

Monsterx

Audiophyte
I went to pull out one of my component video cables and the rca jack came out with it. I'm not sure if this is easy to fix or why this happened but I cant get them off the end of the cable. I have monster cables. Does this happen to people, can I just put the jack back in?

Monsterx

Monsterx

Audiophyte
I just tried to put the jacks back into the tv, they dont go all the way back in. I also noticed one was already missing. I bought this as a floor model. I guess I should call circuit city?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Monsterx said:
I just tried to put the jacks back into the tv, they dont go all the way back in. I also noticed one was already missing. I bought this as a floor model. I guess I should call circuit city?
Yes, defective workmanship. But, next time pull on the plugs, not the wire.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, and you may want to consider some cables that don't grip as tightly if you see this happens again after the repair. Monster Cable almost always over grip the RCA connections which creates an excellent connection point - but if those RCA plugs aren't on really solid, they get yanked out.

I've seen it happen no less than a dozen times so far.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
What brand TV was this?

Inquiring minds want to know. I heard about this happening with a Sharp on another board.

C

Cuteman

Audioholic Intern
I work at best buy, and ive done this with everything under the sun, even optical cables. Kinda sucks, huh?
except when im at work i can just crack open a new package and replace it.

Monsterx

Monsterx

Audiophyte
RCA DLP tv. Hopefully they can repair it fast, both my component inputs are busted now. What are peoples opinions on getting the extened warrenty for dlp tvs? Is 400 bucks for 4 years worth it?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Cuteman said:
I work at best buy, and ive done this with everything under the sun, even optical cables. Kinda sucks, huh?
except when im at work i can just crack open a new package and replace it.
This is something some people may be misunderstanding:
The CABLE did not break.

When pulling the cable off of the TV, it ripped the RCA connection OUT OF THE TV! Monster cables quite often will be so tight that they will rip the entire RCA connection off the board of a TV, VCR, DVD, etc. breaking the product.

The cable stays fine, but your TV is left broken... who cares about breaking a stupid cable? Well, I guess if it were a $250.00 Monster Cable then you would be pissed... but generally, not as bad as ripping the RCA connections off your plasma, or really nice DVD player.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
One thing that might help in the future.

Instead of grasping either the plug or the wire and simply pulling it straight off, twist the plug and pull it gently. This will loosen the grip and it will come off with less effort.

I put this rule right below powering down all affected equipment when kerfutzing with cables or interconnects.

Monsterx

Monsterx

Audiophyte
Update and plea for help

Hi guys, so I called circuit city, they said they coudln't service the tv because I didnt get the extended warranty, now here are my options

1. Upgrade to the extended plan and they will service it (I was going to add the plan after I did some research about dlps)

2. Trade in for CRT projection tvs sony kp51ws520 or hit57f500

3. Upgrade to sony lcd kdf42we655 for $400 more

4. Call manufacturer to see if they will service

Ideas?

Monsterx

Monsterx

Audiophyte
Oh the 5th option would be for me to open up the back panel and try to fix myself :)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
How old is the TV? What is the manufacturers warranty on your set?

An extended warranty is almost always BEYOND the date of your manufacturer warranty being valid. So, if your TV is under its normal warranty, then odds are good the store wouldn't help you anyway.

Definitely pull out your original receipt and check the manufacturers warranty.

Monsterx

Monsterx

Audiophyte
I bought the TV yesterday, it should be covered.. I love this dlp, I guess I will see if RCA will come out and fix it, if not I will grab the warranty, It's a 2004 rca, although they dont have the best track record for support it is a dlp vs getting a way too big crt projection.... I still want to open it up myself, do you think opening the back panel will void the warranty?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, it likely will. Read the manual, it will quite likely have the full details of what you can and can't do under the warranty. You also need to speak to a manager at the store and tell him that your brand new product fell apart and you expect them to take care of it. Warranty be damned, how about the lowest level of customer service!

Where did you buy it from and where do you live?

Monsterx

Monsterx

Audiophyte
Okay, so I looked for a close RCA service provider to fix the TV. It turns our noone is in range enough to come to my house. I can drop it off at one place, but they said it will take 10 days to fix because they have to replace the whole back panel now. This sucks, I think the best option is to get the circuit city plan so I can get in home service.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Hmmm... there's a vote for a service plan if I ever heard one.

I got a service plan from Best Buy on my plasma when they said they would come to my home to fix it. At 100 pounds and wall mounted it wasn't something I ever wanted to deal with myself... for a couple hundred bucks I think it was worth it.

Sounds like you may agree. Sometimes they are worth it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis