cable plan, what to put in what to leave out

D

diggerdave

Audioholic Intern
my first HT project is in the cabling phase now. I am going into the wall down through the floor across the garage out the wall and up under the bay window where sits the couch. altogether longest run is in round numbers 60feet to the rear speakers left and right. I just bought a 100' of 12AWG 65strand speaker wire thinking I'd be running just L and and right. BUT maybe I will someday want a rear center channel, and maybe the sub-woofer will go back there behind the couch as well. So that gives me more options, definetely more to think about. Can I drive the left/right rears from the sub woofer and run 60ft of small gauge cable for "line out" signal to the sub with shorter runs then required between the sub and the L/R rears? For the rear center channel I'd still have to run a 12awg pair the whole sixty feet I think.

Is 3/4 plastic conduit adequate for possibly 3 pair of 12awg and the line-out to the sub? (I need conduit for protection in the garage and outside the house)

what type/size wire for recvr-sub-woofer connection (line-out signal)?

all comments/suggestions appreciated

thanks,
dave

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
You need rca type coax for the sub. Look here: Click on single cables & then look at sub cable.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
diggerdave said:
Is 3/4 plastic conduit adequate for possibly 3 pair of 12awg and the line-out to the sub? (I need conduit for protection in the garage and outside the house)
dave
I think you'd better see if you can get inch size or inch and a half. Conduit is generally sized by outer diameter, not innner diameter. On a metal conduit, this makes for a lot of room inside a 3/4 tube. A plastic wall, on the other hand, is much thicker and eats away your inside space. It is also much rougher, and there is alot more friction to each pull. :(

This will be doubly true if you intend to pull the entire length of the run, instead of feeding one tube at a time, as you put it in place. It's a pain to do it either way. :(

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis