Cable or Satellite?

What is Your PRIMARY Source for TV Programming?

• DSS/Satellite

Votes: 52 38.8%
  • Digital Cable

Votes: 62 46.3%
  • Analogue Cable

Votes: 11 8.2%
  • Antenna (for HDTV)

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Antenna (for analogue TV)

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Bah! I hate them all! DVDs rule!

Votes: 5 3.7%

• Total voters
We want to know how many of you use Cable TV vs. DSS vs. antenna vs. "Something Else"... Give us a quick vote and let us know what your content provider of choice is!

Last edited:
W

Westrock2000

Junior Audioholic
I have cable, mostly because I have cable internet. It's ok. I don't see nearly the pixelation my parents have on their DSS. But DSS seams to have much better remote and guide (But I think Cable boxes vary around the country...since most are weird cable brands and not like Sony or something).

When I lived with my parents, the stormy weather thing did suck.

However I'll say this, the satelite was OK, but my cable makes my speakers buzz real loud. Even if I have a different source selected the speakers still buzz (low, maybe 100hz or less), but once I disconnect the Cable box A/V connections back to <near> dead silence.

One thing about my cable I don't like is that the music channels aren't on the guide, you have to manually type in the channel number. Plus the guide almost always starts back on channel 1, which sucks when I'm cruising thought like 200-300 area, cause I have to page down several times (very frustrating :mad: )

Check that your cable (outside the home at the box) is grounded to the same ground as your house. They are supposed to do this and it would be a valid "Tech call" to make if you notice it is not the case. Older homes often do not have adequate cable grounding.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Direct tv here, HD too. Wish I had voom though.

Jaycan

Jaycan

Audioholic
I currently have no HD because I've moved a lot over the last year, and getting ready to move again(to a different house). I have had both DirecTV (for NFL sunday ticket) and Dish (for international programming) at different times in the past. I think this time I'll go with VOOM because they have plans for a very sophisticated whole house HD system, with slim ergonomic slave units connected via either firewire or ethernet to the main receiver. I think they will also enable HD recording to D-VHS via firewire outputs. BTW, I'll never go with DirecTV again because their company policy is to not have firewire outs on their receivers. Believe it or not, where I'm currently living there are NO OVER THE AIR NOR CABLE HD CHANELS!!! I couldn't believe it when I found out.

W

Westrock2000

Junior Audioholic
As a rebutle to my previous comment about CATV and hum in my system. I recently built a new AV rack, which allowed the cable feed to come from a seperate angle then the rest of my cables, so their is less interaction between the system. And now the hum is gone.

So check placement (and what Hawke said above).

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
I went with DirecTV about 2 years ago because at the time TWC Minnesota had essentially *no* roadmap to HD, and DTV was already rolling out HD. Since then, DTV has reached a grand total of about 5 non-premium and non-PPV HD channels, so I haven't felt the desire to dramatically increase my monthly and HW expenditures just yet.

In the interim, Time-Warner got their act together in a big way. No up front HW costs, TiVo-ish HD functions included, many more channels. I'm considering making the switch, but I still can't bring myself to spend more than $50/mo just to watch TV, so I'm in a holding pattern

Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
I selected the none option, because I have none.

Paul

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Cable, as I have cable internet, too. Since I do a lil' bit of Xbox Live gaming here and there, ditching cable would be a bummer (latency-wise). I would love to have NFL Sunday Ticket, but I'm a Vikes man living in the far east side of SD, so every Minnesota game is a guarentee on cable.

DTS

DTS

Senior Audioholic
I have used DSS for over ten years. Live in country no cable options, no decent reception. Had Direct for 10 years with no real problems, switched to Dish this spring because they gave me 4 rooms w/ a 100 hour DVR. Wanted new/better equipment and got it with no cost. Programming is cheaper, we have "everything" for what we were payin for Direct without everything. The rain thing sucks on ocassion, but oh well. Picture quality I think surpasses any cable I have seen. Waiting for the satelite internet, also built in to the dish, which was another reason to make the switch. Still on a very sucky dial up....help! :(

M

Mr.T

Audioholic
Cable, I like the fast internet access.
It's probably 3 times faster than DSL - Picure quality is OK, but I always wanted to try Directv. I just feel that satellite reception is better than cable.

Mr.T

M

mitch57

Audioholic
I have Dish Network. I like it. I used to have cable but the cable company in my area is by far the worst I have ever experienced in quality, channel selection,customer service, and price.

The worst thing about cable is everytime there is a power glitch the cable goes out. If someone hits a telephone pole, the cable goes out. I have had more cable outages then I care to remember.

I have had sat for going on three years now and have NEVER had it go out. As far as the rainy stormy weather issue goes... I have never experienced it. I live in Washington state and I would venture to say we get more rain than almost anywhere else in the country. It doesn't effect my reception in the slightest.

jaguars_fan

jaguars_fan

Junior Audioholic
We have had DirecTv for the last 8 years mostly for the NFL Sunday Ticket but it has been a wonderful thing! Living along the Gulf Coast of Florida, it is pretty evident why (hurricanes will keep Cox and Mediacom offline for weeks!).

I like not having to share the signal, I like the fact that it's an all digital signal for the same price as standard cable (which has fewer channels) and I like dealing with the people at DTV versus the aforementioned cable providers. As for rain fade/outages, we have suffered an average of 20 minutes per year over the last 8 years (2.6 hours) versus Cox who, after Ivan, was down for two weeks and when they did finally get it working again had limited service for the next two weeks. They tried, bless their hearts, but I was watching the news as soon as the power was back on!

D

DSMCasey

Junior Audioholic
I love digital cable, but I had a bad experience with Cebridge Cable here in Denton, TX. They cut my main line several times while building my nieghbors house (my neighborhood is all new developments). My picture was crap and I completely lost picture when it rained. I gave them 4 service calls to fix it, they never did. Since then I got the dish and love it. The picture is so clear and crisp.

-Case

mcwilson

mcwilson

Audioholic
Cumming, Georgia

I use Adelphia cable. They offer a fairly extensive HD package that includes:

locals (CBS, NBC, Fox, etc.)
ESPN
Premiums (HBO, Starz, Showtime, etc.)
InHD (4 or 5) including some live concerts, IMAX and Discovery shows
HDMVS (Movies)

Not a bad deal. I don't really have anything to compare it to, though. I never had HD before...

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
SAT all the way!

I never had Cable and never will....(this comming from a former Cable installer :eek: )...Had Dish Network for over 3 years loved them...untill...I moved to Ohio (Dayton area) no local channels at the time :( ...gave me Cin. channels which was OK :eek: ...they finally got Dayton locals and told me I would have to get the larger dish :( ...no go cus' I was at an apt. that wouldn't allow that beast :eek: ...Switched to Direct TV, 2 room, 1 with Tivo, free equipment, free set up...I like...oh and got Dayton locals with the regular dish :D The signal is so much better than cable, I use DSL which is less $$$ than cable so that works for me! I almost forgot..$26 for programming and local...beat that cable! Once you go SAT you'll never go back!

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Time Warner digital. I don't have a hd tv. But, I will upgrade. I have Road Runner also. I am a happy customer. :D

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I am a big fan of DSS, but having to buy equipment that gets outdated every few year (read post about them switching to MPEG4!!!) and having to pay more for every additional set hooked up is a real cash drainer. Where are my local channels in HD???

If I had deep pockets, I would probably have DSS, but I go with cable and get all my locals, almost perfect service, and high speed Internet. It works out very well with cable and the Washington DC area has a lot of competition to maintain top notch cable between Cox and Comcast deviding the area up with only a couple of straggler companies thrown into the mix.

The owner of Comcast actually lives in the DC area and when he moved here the cable company was unresponsive. It was a small locally owned cable company. After several unresponsive service calls, he decided it made more sense to simply buy the cable company. No doubt Comcast in Montgomery County is one of the best iderations of Comcast that exists in the nation.

HookedOnSound

HookedOnSound

Full Audioholic
I feel like an oddball here because I mostly watch DVDs on my 32" DTV. (not including spouse and children who have there own viewing habits)
That's it! Other than the news occasionally on the old rabbit ears (air broadcasts)!

I am more interesting in getting my system ready for integrating a home theater pc and a gaming console than Sat/cable service.

Don't get me wrong, I could have challenged several couch patatoes 15 yrs ago but something happened when I started enjoying the commercials more than some of the TV shows, I new it was time for a change. :cool:

IMHO I have watched cable and sat dish at friends and families houses and although features and channels have improved alot I honestly don't feel the price is justified. I am sort of protesting and holding out for a pkg that lets me subscribe to only the channels I want without all the extra redundant channels that seem to overlap the same content (300 of channels with nothing interesting is still nothing interesting).

With the internet bandwith capabilities increasing in the next several years, internet TV will be a viable option as well, maybe then I'll be able to get my cake and eat it too!

Kim L.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis