Cable internet and Ethernet

B

Brett Lancaster

Audiophyte
I just bought a new iMac and was wondering if anyone here could advise me and recommend cables for me. My service is through xfinity/comcast. Currently I just have it set up with their cables and the Ethernet cable that came with my motorola cable modem. I've used monster cables in the past for home theater and was gonna try them for my iMac set up. But I recently heard of Audioquest and the guy at best buy suggested insignia (best buy brand). For my set up I need one 10ft f-pin from the wall to my monster power strip then a 3 ft f-pin to the modem then a 3 foot Ethernet from the modem to the computer. Please advise me for what cables you guys recommend. Thanks!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Forget about Audioquest cables. All true audiophiles use denon cables. Kimber cables are ok to. Make sure to use only frozen zero oxygen extension cables for power cord.
And don't forget the cable lifters to isolate the near field resonances.
http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AKDL1-Dedicated-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B000I1X6PM

The $10 cables which are used in mission critical data centers for reliable high speed interconnects clearly don't belong there.

B

Brett Lancaster

Audiophyte
Seriously, are u joking? $8000 for a denon Ethernet? Was any of that advice true?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Seriously, are u joking? $8000 for a denon Ethernet? Was any of that advice true?
Since you seems to be having some issues grasping my obvious sarcasm, let me chew this one for you:

Only 3 things matter with Ethernet cables: a) It's length b) it's category and c) least important, but nice to have - quality of the connector.

Unless you are running 200 ft cables or need to have a 10Gig network - you don't need to worry about any

Ethernet is data - it's works or it doesn't. same (but more rigid constrains) applies to HDMI, DVI, DisplayPort, thunderbolt etc...)

B

Brett Lancaster

Audiophyte
I thought u might be joking. But I seriously thought upgrading from stock cables would be better in some way. Picture / sound.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Copper is copper, no matter how you brand it. It just passes your signal and that's it, no magic in there.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I just bought a new iMac and was wondering if anyone here could advise me and recommend cables for me. My service is through xfinity/comcast. Currently I just have it set up with their cables and the Ethernet cable that came with my motorola cable modem. I've used monster cables in the past for home theater and was gonna try them for my iMac set up. But I recently heard of Audioquest and the guy at best buy suggested insignia (best buy brand). For my set up I need one 10ft f-pin from the wall to my monster power strip then a 3 ft f-pin to the modem then a 3 foot Ethernet from the modem to the computer. Please advise me for what cables you guys recommend. Thanks!

If you want cables that you know perform then Blue Jeans Cable are the go to. They actually throw the cables on a Fluke network tester and show you how they perform. Mind you the Fluke tester is about $8-10K so you know they are serious.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis