D

dropbear

Audioholic Intern
I had an idea for the newbies (myself included) in that it would be nice to see on here an article with indepth pictures of how to build a cable and the differences on those cables and how they look in the construction phase.

I know elsewhere on this site there is documentation outlining the differences of video coax in relation to an audio lead, balanced and unbalanced design and so on, but if we could have a how-to article with step-by-step images and the like i think would be of an invaluable resource for all.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Exactly what kind of cables are you talking about? There's a good article on speaker cable buildling that Mudcat did (too lazy to link), but as for interconnects, building them would be too hard to do by hand. They require precice distances to maintain their impedances and thus function correctly. Besides, making acquire a braid shield would be hard, and, since you're going to be exposing it, you'll be allowing it to oxidize. Speaker Cables are very feasible, but IC's, 'fraid not.

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
I'll be making a bunch of CAT 5 based speaker cables soon. I'll take pictures.

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
All you have to do for making interconnects is buy the cable of choice, and the connectors of choice. Putting those together is not hard at all.

The steps also vary slightly depending on the connectors and cable used.

D

Dan Banquer

Full Audioholic
I have been asking Gene to get me some samples of Belden 75 ohm coax, but he's been really busy. I could also do some analog interconnect with a Belden microphone cable if there is a demand for it.
You folks tell me.
d.b.

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
If you are truly serious about interconnects, and want a one shot does it all answer....Canare LV-77S works great....but sadly their stuff is pretty much a system, so you need to get their RCAs and their "freaking overpriced" crimp tool for best results.

The LV-77S is a stranded center conductor version of their RG-6 cable. It is still 75ohms, and is avialible in various colors to match your setup. The cable is a double-shielded type, using dual braided layers for shielding. THe stranded center makes it far, far more flexible than standard RG-6.

HookedOnSound

HookedOnSound

Full Audioholic
Try Cat 6

Mudcat said:
I'll be making a bunch of CAT 5 based speaker cables soon. I'll take pictures.
if you going to the trouble of doing it, I recommend Cat 6 since the gauge is thicker.

Can't wait to see the pics.

Good Luck,

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
HookedOnSound said:
if you going to the trouble of doing it, I recommend Cat 6 since the gauge is thicker.

Good Luck,
Since I have over two thousand feet of teflon insulated and teflon jacketed cat 5 sitting in my basement, I'll use the cat 5.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis