A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
Anyone know where to get a cheap cable box? My neighbors got a new HDTV monitor as a christmas present, but don't want to hook it up through their vcr. They don't need a fancy HDTV box that's $200.

Every time i try to google it, i get either the super expensive high def boxes or the illegal sites. Anyone know of a place to get a cheap tuner with remote? Thanks.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
If they were previously using the VCR as the tuner, it will no longer be necessary - just connect the RF cable from the wall straight to the TV. They will only get the basic channels.

The only time you need a cable box is if the cable company scrambles certain channels and for pay channels which are always scrambled. Even if you do find a cable box for sale, the cable company will NOT authorize it for use on their network.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Abboudc said:
My neighbors got a new HDTV monitor as a christmas present,
This is a horse of a different color.

MDS said:
just connect the RF cable from the wall straight to the TV. They will only get the basic channels.
Generally, a monitor lacks a tuner. They avoit stating this openly by advertising them as "HD-Ready" or, as shown here, calling it a monitor, both of which are adspeak for "you must use a Set Top Box (STB) or a separate tuner if you want to see anything."

Everything else MDS says is totally correct. If they do get a tuner, they will only get what the VCR gave them, nothing else. If they get a digital cable box, they will most likely get nothing until the service provider activates it.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
markw said:

Generally, a monitor lacks a tuner. They avoit stating this openly by advertising them as "HD-Ready" or, as shown here, calling it a monitor, both of which are adspeak for "you must use a Set Top Box (STB) or a separate tuner if you want to see anything."

Everything else MDS says is totally correct. If they do get a tuner, they will only get what the VCR gave them, nothing else. If they get a digital cable box, they will most likely get nothing until the service provider activates it.
Guys, i understand what a cable box will give them versus a VCR, which for their purposes is nothing, and have explained this to them multiple times. I think they don't feel comfortable with the VCR, since i gave them an old one of mine to use. Their VCR only went up to channel 13 (it was like 1984 old).

That said, anyone know where to actually *buy* a cable box?? :) I thought radio shack sold them for like $20 years ago, but can't seem to find any now. I tried searching for cable converter, cable box, etc, but only the $400 illegal ones come back.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
markw said:

Guys, i understand what a cable box will give them versus a VCR, which for their purposes is nothing, and have explained this to them multiple times. I think they don't feel comfortable with the VCR, since i gave them an old one of mine to use. Their VCR only went up to channel 13 (it was like 1984 old).

That said, anyone know where to actually *buy* a cable box?? :) I thought radio shack sold them for like $20 years ago, but can't seem to find any now. I tried searching for cable converter, cable box, etc, but only the $400 illegal ones come back. I know what i need, just not where to find it ;)

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry, I missed the part about the TV being a 'monitor' only. However, I will reiterate: the cable company will not authorize a cable box you purchase for use on their network - you must rent the cable box from them.

The FCC is currently in the process of trying to change that rule...but don't hold your breath.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Well, good luck to you. Years ago I could get leaded gas for my old cars.

...but no more. Times change. It's all unleaded now.

Modern cablet TV is all digital, baby. Analog rules don't apply. Last Week I received, in the mail, a cute little Motorola Digital cable box. Once I installed it I had to call Comcast to have them activate it before I could get anything at all!

FWIW, I got about 80+ analog channels* from our Comcast cable with a more modern $70 Toshiba (SD-V392) DVD/VHS machine. That's about as "cheap a tuner with a remote" that I can think of. Add to that along with that NTSC tuner the fact that it's got a progressive scan DVD player with component out and a VHS recorder to boot, it's quite a bargain.

But, if you persist in loolkng for a "cheap and legal" cable box, good luck. I would think that If they are really good friends, they would listen to your advice and not send you on a hunt for a left-handed monkey wrench. If they won't take your advice, maybe they really aren't as good friends as you think.

*I can also get these same stations on all my old TV's with built-in NTSC tuners. ...but no digital

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You will want to contact the cable company. There are various boxes out there that will mimic the functionality of a VCR. Just go to eBay and search for cable boxes, but the bottom line is that all you will get is the exact same thing that a VCR will deliver, for some extra money.

No HDTV will be available, and their 'investment' in a HDTV, without actually being able to feed it HDTV, is rather pointless. I would question why someone would buy a very expensive TV then decide to not get a HD tuner to go along with it.

So, you have your cable box/vcr connection using composite video and it'll be less than 50 bucks (much less) on eBay.

If these people actually WANT HDTV then call the cable company and find out what your options are for receiving HDTV from them. Most often, the people I talk to want HDTV w/DVR capabilities. It works great and completely changes the way you watch TV. My time is to valuable to spend 20 minutes out of every TV show watching commercials.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
BMXTRIX said:
No HDTV will be available, and their 'investment' in a HDTV, without actually being able to feed it HDTV, is rather pointless. I would question why someone would buy a very expensive TV then decide to not get a HD tuner to go along with it.
LOL. Actually their son ordered it and shipped it to them for Christmas. I don't think he realized it was only a monitor. They're both retired, and just see it as a big TV. It amazes me that companies will make a 1080p screen without at least a $10 NTSC tuner.

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
It sounds like you're looking for something that will do standard TV as well as HDTV. You need an HDTV/QAM tuner to get the high-def channels.

I'd look into this:
http://www.samsung.com/Products/DigitalSetTopBox/HDTVTuners/DTB_H260FXAA.asp

Click on the "Buy from Online Retailer" button to pull up who sells them online. The actual store sites will show if it's available at the store or online only.

This device does not have to be registered with a local cable company and will do everything and more than what is needed.

Anything less than something like this will be a waste of the HD monitor that was purchased for them. Might as well return it and get a standard 4:3 tv. Everything is eventually moving to digital and it will be a necessity to have a digital tuner at some time.

-pat

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
HDTV tuner = ATSC (digital TV) tuner

pzaur said:
It sounds like you're looking for something that will do standard TV as well as HDTV. You need an HDTV/QAM tuner to get the high-def channels.

I'd look into this:
http://www.samsung.com/Products/DigitalSetTopBox/HDTVTuners/DTB_H260FXAA.asp

This device does not have to be registered with a local cable company and will do everything and more than what is needed.
All HD is digital TV but not all digital TV is HD.

But, yes, a QAM tuner is a cable digital tuner, but they only work with unencrypted signals. My Toshiba came with both, along with old fashioned NTSC. I get great OTA HD and cable channels below 100, basicaly what I got with my NTSC tuner.

For my Comcast cable, it's virtually useless. They encrypt all HD and everything above channel 100. The only way I could avail myself of comcast's digital and HD offerings was to get (rent) one of their cable boxes and have them activate it. I doubt this will be much different than what I faced with my TV's internal tuners.

As much as I hate to say it, the cable companies have us by the short hairs for the moment. If we want their goodies, we gotta play their game.

I'm sure his kids meant well but in all likilyhood they didn't have any idea what they were buying or have any idea what his folks would be going through. Once they get up and trunning I'll bet the folks have one of two questions running through their heads:

1) Why is everyone short and squat?
or
2) Why are there black bars on the sides of the picture?

I learned the hard way that older folks don't always do well with new technology when I got my then 70 year old mom a microwave. She didn't want to be in the same room with it for fear of radiation, even when it was in the box.

Last edited:
pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
markw said:
All HD is digital TV but not all digital TV is HD.

Markw - very true. The only thing is that everyone will have to have a box capable of descrambling the digital signal in the coming years. A standard, non-digital box is not capable of this. The reason that older TVs are able to receive and decode many of the standard cable channels is that they are being broadcast in the analog realm, not the digital realm.

Yes, the cable companies keep the premium content from us unless we move to the more expensive packages, but that is their right to do as it as a pay for use service. Using a cable box that is not on their system will not decode the additional signals unless you find someone who can build/give you a magic black box that decodes all encrypted product. And this is illegal.

I do think that the original poster is looking for a box that will do the basic cable package. Use of the Samsung box or something similar will allow them to decode any basic/OTA broadcasts that are in HD. On Cox, all the channels that are on basic cable also have their sibling HD channel broadcast free and clear over the coax and air. This box will do both and keep the parental units from having to upgrade *again* to a new box. In my mind, this would be a worthy reason to spend the extra few bucks and get the QAM box.

-pat

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Now I'm confused

pzaur said:
I do think that the original poster is looking for a box that will do the basic cable package. Use of the Samsung box or something similar will allow them to decode any basic/OTA broadcasts that are in HD. On Cox, all the channels that are on basic cable also have their sibling HD channel broadcast free and clear over the coax and air. This box will do both and keep the parental units from having to upgrade *again* to a new box. In my mind, this would be a worthy reason to spend the extra few bucks and get the QAM box.-pat
The box you pointed to is simply an OTA ATSC(terrestrial digital, which includes HD) receiver and, if that's what they want then it's great and all they need. I get a buncha digital and HD channels (30+ digital with 7 HD*) with a thirty year old VHF/UHF TV antenna on the roof.

Now, since this thread initially was about receiving (and perhaps decoding) cable signals, which require a QAM tuner, which the Samsung appears to lack, what does this have to do with anything? As for basic cable analog, anything with an NTSC tuner (VCR?) will handle that, at least it does here with North Jersry Comcast.

But, then again, Comcast doesn't get involved with OTA broadcasting. You say Cox does?

I went through this before and it's all detailed in the link in my first post in this thread.

*Actually, when it comes to the major network HD feeds, I prefer the OTA HD to the cable HD version. It seems to be less prone to occasional "pixilization" and sound dropouts.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis