R

Rich M

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>I subscribe to Charter Cable and would like to receive digital sound. &nbsp;I recall reading somewhere that you have to hound most cable companies to get them to send you a digital box. &nbsp;I called Charter and was told that they don't yet have digital boxes. &nbsp;Is this the case? &nbsp;Any info would be appreciated.</font>

E

Eric

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Well, it’s not quite as simple as simply getting a digital box. The cable company has to do some modifications to the service to support the digital service. The cable company's equipment used for standard cable service does not support digital cable service.

However, the FCC is requiring cable companies to support HDTV by 2006 (I think it’s 2006). When/if you get HDTV digital cable will probably be offered as well.</font>

R

Rich M

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Thanks for the info, Eric.</font>

<font color='#008080'>Also remember that digital cable is only digital on upper channels (usually those over 100). Everything else is still analogue - which means no digital audio output. You'll need to connect both analogue and digital audioouts to your receiver. Many receivers, like Yamaha offer auto input switching between digital and analogue.

The only true all-digital solution right now are dish-based systems. Hopefully that will change.</font>

R

Rich M

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Thanks for the info, Hawke.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis