johndoe

johndoe

Audioholic
This is, I'm sure, old news to many of you. After buying API some time ago, Klipsch decided to drop the Athena brand altogether because it doesn't fit within their long term marketing strategy. I learned this last week from an Audio Advisor newsletter. They say they will keep the Energy, Mirage, and Energy Pro brands, though.
As a happy owner of Athena speakers, this saddens me a bit. I think they make great value speakers. I'll look for clearances now.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I'll join ya at the funeral.

:( When I bought my Athena setup in early '02, I compared the AS-F1's with all the standard brands offerings in their price range I could get from the local B & M stores. One at a time. of course, but overall, I preferred the Athena series to what else was offered in that price range and, IMNSHO, the what Klipsch had to offer was far, far down on the list.

Wunner if they'll have an open bar at the wake?

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
This does make me sad. Although I'm not really looking to add anything (well, maybe a couple B2s to replace my C1 rear centre), it's sorta demoralizing to realize that they're the last of their line. Kinda like buying an HD DVD player and then realizing Toshiba won't be making any more of them.

I've never understood the lack of love Athena got from audio forums. A lot of it seemed to be from people who never heard them, just saw their price tags. Oh well. I'm glad I got mine -- good price, and they sound shiny indeed.

cheers,
supervij

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

I've had mine for almost 4 years now, and I must say I am still very happy with their performance. From what I can remember they were held in pretty high regard until Best Buy picked them up. Thats when most people began to discredit them once they became a "Big Box" speaker. Oh well, it can remain our little secret!:D

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
This is, I'm sure, old news to many of you. After buying API some time ago, Klipsch decided to drop the Athena brand altogether because it doesn't fit within their long term marketing strategy. I learned this last week from an Audio Advisor newsletter. They say they will keep the Energy, Mirage, and Energy Pro brands, though.
As a happy owner of Athena speakers, this saddens me a bit. I think they make great value speakers. I'll look for clearances now.
I think Athena was too much competition for Klipsch in that price bracket. We'ree back to screeching high speakers from Klipsch again.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
Something I noticed while browsing at AudioAdvisor the other day is that the Athena LS-100 has both the same drivers and the same cabinet profile as the Mirage Omni 150s. Since the 150s sound excellent, I have no doubt that the LS-100s do to, and right now you can get them on clearance for $100 (thats per pair!) The LS floorstanders are also deeply discounted.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Something I noticed while browsing at AudioAdvisor the other day is that the Athena LS-100 has both the same drivers and the same cabinet profile as the Mirage Omni 150s. Since the 150s sound excellent, I have no doubt that the LS-100s do to, and right now you can get them on clearance for $100 (thats per pair!) The LS floorstanders are also deeply discounted.
Apparently the Mirage Omni line and Athena LS line are the exact same speaker. Difference is just the omni guide on the tweeters. Some people are even saying it's also the same exact crossover network as well.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
The entire API line up of Mirage, Energy C's and Athena LS used the same drivers. I've haven't heard Mirage but have compared the Energy C's to the Athena LS and the Energy just sounded more livelier. They may use similar components and crossovers but they don't sound alike. I would also add that the original Athena audition speakers where built better and sounded better than the current LS speaker.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I would also add that the original Athena audition speakers where built better and sounded better than the current LS speaker.
I haven't heard the LS series itself, but I have compared the very similar Mirage Omnis to the original Audition F1s, and the Mirages are substantially better. In particular, they are not as bright and the bass is more defined.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I haven't heard the LS series itself, but I have compared the very similar Mirage Omnis to the original Audition F1s, and the Mirages are substantially better. In particular, they are not as bright and the bass is more defined.
Joe in my case I haven't auditioned both in home. However I do own the Athena Auditons and know how they sound. Having heard the LS I demoed them with the Polk rt i8's and found the LS bland(wouldn't say that about the auditions). I do feel the LS could work for music but lack any imaging and depth required for home theater. Lastly it appears that Klipsch felt Athena was expendable and could be easily replaced with the Energy or Mirage budget line of speakers and not skip a beat.

Last edited:
J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
When I got my Omni 350s, I ended up giving away my F1s because the Mirages made them obsolete. Of course, the Omnis may be better than the LSs also, but that seems unlikely given the identical drivers and similar cabinets.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
Lastly it appears that Klipsch felt Athena was expendable and could be easily replaced with the Energy or Mirage budget line of speakers and not skip a beat.
This is because they weren't making as much profit from them as from the more expensive lines, and people were buying them because they sounded every bit as good.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
This is because they weren't making as much profit from them as from the more expensive lines, and people were buying them because they sounded every bit as good.
I don't know if I agree because msrp pricing on the f2's was $800.00 p/p and my B2's where $299.00 p/p (in Canada). Basically around here Energy and Mirage where strictly exclusive to hifi shops. Now all API products are sold at big B&M stores and they would be vying for the same customers which is why Athena products became redundant.

R

Ryan8886

Audioholic
Hey Billy! Hope all's well with you, man! I was really bummed to see Klipsche dump the Athena line. I finished out my setup with two AS B-1.2 's for surrounds a few months back. Guess I should've waited for the closeout prices. Sad to see a nice budget line go like that. Still love the sound of mine!

Last edited:
A

alexsound

Audioholic
Hey Billy! Hope all's well with you, man! I was really bummed to see Klipsche dump the Athena line. I finished out my setup with two AS B-1.2 's for surrounds a few months back. Guess I should've waited for the closeout prices. Sad to see a nice budget line go like that. Still love the sound of mine!
I picked up a pair of ASF1's about 3yrs ago new at BB dirt cheap when they decided to discontinue the line in-store. I think I only paid $150 for them.
Not the best speakers in the world, BUT, I can say, for 150, I don't think I could have gotten a better pair of small towers. My daughter has them now. She absolutely loves them. She also has my old APS400 sub. Got that dirt cheap too. Not the most powerful sub in the world, but the bass is tight, and quick, and for a small sub, it goes deep. I'll admit, I'm a Klipsch fanboy, but this sucks that they discontinued one of the best value speaker lines out there.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Hi Ryan

I don't regret buying my athenas, even paying full retail. Okay, just a wee bit.:D:)

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Athena was one of the best kept secrets of the audio world. It's a real shame they're axing the brand. It used to be a near-no-brainer recommendation to someone who had the proverbial champagne taste & beer budget. There are some other good inexpensive models by other brands, but few as cheap as the Athenas.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis