N

not_me

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>This is rareley discussed on the net and since i know very few people woh have experience in this &quot;field&quot; i thought i should ask you.

any advantages besides the obviousley lower prices???

how about the disadvantages?

do i get the same return policies that axiom has 4 it's speakers? or do i get the same 5 year warranty on some yamaha products ?

how can i know if a site is &quot;strange&quot; and what tipes of sites i shouldn't trust?

does anyone have previous experience with online shoping ?

does the price shown represent all the money that i need to
spend to get that receiver or are there any other taxes that i need 2 pay if i am buying from a site that's not from my country?

if there are sites that you personaly liked/disliked please feel free to share their names and reasons!!

any other sugestions are very welcomed (I am an absolute beginer in online shopping , not to mention shoping online for relative expensife stuff )

Thanks !!!</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>Buying online is dicey but there are good sellers out there or else this line would be finished. The trick is to go by the buyer reviews whenever possible and read all the fine prints. Make sure you get factory authorized warranty and if the price is too good to be true, there is usually a catch there.</font>

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'>Note: After writing the stuff below, I saw the line about buying outside of your country; on checking your profile I see that you're in Romania. Much of what I wrote about specific sites and companies applies specifically to North America, unfortunately. But the general cautions about cash sales, fraud etc. still apply. I would be *very* cautious of international sales no matter where you're from. Familiarity with the commercial laws of both your own country and the country of the seller would be a necessary first condition. What protections are afforded and what recourse do you have in the event of fraud? Must you seek redress from the courts of the seller's country, or are there reciprocal agreements that allow legal remedy in your country? If Romania has become a member of the EU (forgive my ignorance) maybe there are such legal agreements in place with other EU countries? These are the questions to answer first if you are contemplating international purchases.

If any of the American companies that make and sell new equipment (not the online auction or classified sites) I have mentioned &nbsp;below offer sales to Romania, you can rest a bit easier with them I think. No doubt there are also reputable companies of that sort in Europe. Seek them out.

--------

If you're talking used gear, eBay certainly has its issues with less- than-agressive fraud protection and enforcement; that being said I got a nice used Adcom power amp on eBay at a good price, and have bought and sold other non-audio items there without incident. Seller feedback is not an infallible guide there, alas; scammers have found ways to fake positive feedback.

There is a dedicated high-end audio gear classified site called Audiogon (www.audiogon.com) that seems to be well-run. [People from all over the world sell there. Again, be cautious of international sales unless the seller is in a neighboring country and close enough for you to go there and check out the goods in person.] A lot of high-end types appear to change gear the way normal people change socks; with the crappy economy they seem to have been joined by people simply dumping gear for ready cash - at least, it's been a buyer's market there lately according to a friend who sold an expensive amp at a loss a couple of months ago. Good place to pick up even late model high-end (and &quot;mere mid-fi&quot; gear too), with bargains to be found via diligent searching and comparison shopping. As always, caveat emptor. When buying via online classifieds and auctions, NEVER pay cash or its equivalent, i.e. cashier's checks or money orders. If the seller insists on cash run, do not walk, away, with the possible exception of small dollar accessories where you can afford the loss if it goes sour. Always use your credit card if buying from a dealer who offers the option (the card companies are an ally in cases of fraud), PayPal, or use a reputable escrow service. There are escrow frauds too but I haven't used an escrow so I haven't looked into it closely. Perhaps others can offer advice there.

As far as new gear, there are reputable makers and/or retailers of quality goods who sell direct via the Web and/or by catalog. Outlaw (amps, recievers and electronics), Ohm speakers (makers and popularizers of the famous and justly admired Walsh driver-based exotics - quite reasonably priced for &quot;exotics&quot; - since the mid-70s), Cambridge Sound Works (good speakers from entry level bargains to pretty expensive, many designed by the legendary late Henry Kloss, as well as name-brand electronics from Onkyo etc.), and ATI (powerful, reasonably priced and well-engineered amps &amp; preamps) are a few that come to mind.

To research the potential pitfalls of online classifieds and auctions, and how to defend yourself, you could start with a Google search of &quot;eBay fraud&quot;. MSN, for one, had a good article on their site which should still be archived for retrieval.</font>

D

Dan Banquer

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>As a direct mail manufacturer I find it difficult to overcome the perception that most audiophiles have about direct mail. The fact is that most purchases in electronics are done through the mail in one form or another. Audio is more the exception but that is changing. The real problem that most responsible direct mail manufacturers have is the reputation of a number of dishonest companies that populate the landscape. The old one bad apple spoils the barrel scenario.
Any direct mail manufacturer should offer a 30 day money back guarantee. Many include return shipping, and do not charge a restocking fee.
I generally do spend a fair amount of time with new customers on the phone to help with any installation problems that they may encounter. It's just part of what I have to do.
               d.b.
P.S. The great bulk of my own purchases and my wifes are either through the internet, phone, and very rarely a trip to the mall. I do prefer to buy my shoes at a retail outlet, I can't think of much else at the moment.</font>

J

JAMES2000

Director

We Are Looking For The Buyer Of Crabs For Iron And Aluminun

And We Want To Buy Used Slothing And Shoes

Thanks

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
I have to say that I am rather conservative about on line shopping. I chose a B&K amp because my dealer caried it and a cheaper and probably equal alternative I was considering (Sherbourn) wasn't carried locally. I wanted to hear the stuff before I bought it. This is particularly true for speakers. I know the argument about them not being in your listening room applies but I still think its the best way to shop for gear. Getting stuff on a trial basis and shipping returns back strikes me as a pain.

That said, I had a wonderful experience on buying a plasma television on line. www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com has good articles not just about tvs but what to look for in an etailer as well as the diffences between New York mail order houses and the brick and mortar places. Yes, they accept advertising and indorse some of their advertisers but so does Audioholics. I did some due diligence and bought my plasma from DTV City. It was $3000 less than Best Buy/Circuit City! It came to my door in less than 48 hrs from Atlanta. The salesman on the phone was vastly more knowledgable than the typical best buy fool. The web site did a good job taking you through all the steps and associated options. I particularly liked the testimonial letter from the guy whose set arrived damaged.

Anyway, it was a good experience and I would recommend them as well as the buying guide. That's a lot for an an old fashioned fart like me.

U

Unregistered

safe to buy online?

I have bought two items online and both were good experiences. Read all the shipping info then it gets down to trusting your instints. Most websites want your business and they want it again so they don't screw you over. I would only buy however when they give a toll free number to call and you can talk to a person. Like anything, it's a gamble.

mcwilson

mcwilson

Audioholic
My experience

First, I shop nearly exclusively online for everything from clothes to electronics. But I work out of my house developing software, so I have almost unlimited time to research both the products I am purchasing and the online companies I use.

I think online shopping is smart for many reasons if you're willing to invest the time it takes to research. Here's my A/V online experience...

About 2 months ago as my basement construction (including my HT) started, I began researching my potential A/V equipment. After at least 5 weeks of research into equipment and online retailers and several trips to some local brick and mortar A/V retailers to listen to equipment, I decided to purchase the following:

ATI 8500.1 pre/pro
ATI 3006 (bi-amping the front 3 speakers)
ATI 3004 for the surrounds
Samsung HD931 DVD player
InFocus SP 7205 projector
Da-Lite Hi Contrast Cinema Contour 54 x 96 screen
JAMO D8SUB subwoofer
JAMO D870 Left and Right front
JAMO D8CEN center channel
JAMO D8SUR (4 surround speakers)

Overall, I had a great experience with my online vendor. I saved between 30 and 50% off retail (depending on the component). So, it's hard to complain.

As for returns, who knows. That's the risk. My equipment came with notes telling me not to return components to the manufacturer, but to contact the retailer I purchased it from. I guess I'll have to post later if I ever have any issues with my components...

I recommend online purchases, but don't be too lazy to research!

Mark

Monkey Me

Monkey Me

Enthusiast
Can you tell me who you bought from.You seem to have an ok experience.

Monkey Me

Monkey Me

Enthusiast
Thank you for the info M. :cool: NewYorkWholesaleAudioVideo doesn't have the lowest price but if they are decent that's what matters.Does anyone else have online dealer they have done businese with?You can recommend the good ones and flame the aggravating ones.I need to know whom to stay away from.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis