Buying LCR speakers this week, down to two

E

Erod

Audioholic
Down to a couple days to pull the trigger on LCR speakers to pair with my SVS subs. I have a 3200 cubic foot room (14x19x12). Fully dedicated and symmetrical theater room.

Narrowed to two choices. Please disregard price. More interested in the best sound and choice for my room. (I've heard each but in different rooms. They both sounded good in those environments.)

1. RBH SV-661R

2. Triad gold inroom

Which would measure and sound better in my room?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Both appear to be solid performers. From what I'm seeing the RBHs look a lot nicer, but the Triad might have better dynamics in a theater setup. I haven't heard either one, tho I'll bet you'd be happy with either.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Down to a couple days to pull the trigger on LCR speakers to pair with my SVS subs. I have a 3200 cubic foot room (14x19x12). Fully dedicated and symmetrical theater room.

Narrowed to two choices. Please disregard price. More interested in the best sound and choice for my room. (I've heard each but in different rooms. They both sounded good in those environments.)

1. RBH SV-661R

2. Triad gold inroom

Which would measure and sound better in my room?
Should you opt for the RBH brand, I would suggest the SV-661CR. It uses an Air Motion Transformer tweeter which has a wider horizontal dispersion than the usual dome tweeter.

E

Erod

Audioholic
Both appear to be solid performers. From what I'm seeing the RBHs look a lot nicer, but the Triad might have better dynamics in a theater setup. I haven't heard either one, tho I'll bet you'd be happy with either.
I agree with the dynamics point you made, but with my room size, I wonder if i could even realize that. That might require that i listen really loud to matter.

If this was a 4500-foot room, I'd choose the Triads for sure.

E

Erod

Audioholic
Should you opt for the RBH brand, I would suggest the SV-661CR. It uses an Air Motion Transformer tweeter which has a wider horizontal dispersion than the usual dome tweeter.
Yes, that would be my center channel. In fact, all three LCR speakers come with that Aurum Cantus AMT tweeter.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
This recommendation is mainly for for the center speaker as you might have figured.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree with the dynamics point you made, but with my room size, I wonder if i could even realize that. That might require that i listen really loud to matter.

If this was a 4500-foot room, I'd choose the Triads for sure.
Yeah, I actually prefer RBH. In a smaller room they should do the job just fine as long as you're not always pushing reference levels or above. Nice looking speakers too.

E

Erod

Audioholic
Yeah, I actually prefer RBH. In a smaller room they should do the job just fine as long as you're not always pushing reference levels or above. Nice looking speakers too.
Cool, but I"m hoping for better than "fine." I already have "fine." LOL

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Cool, but I"m hoping for better than "fine." I already have "fine." LOL
Depends on how high up the RBH food chain your budget is willing to go. They have more of a budget lineup which keeps going up in scale there reference line is simply stellar and one I would have gone with if I didn't already love my JBL'S.

E

Erod

Audioholic
Depends on how high up the RBH food chain your budget is willing to go. They have more of a budget lineup which keeps going up in scale there reference line is simply stellar and one I would have gone with if I didn't already love my JBL'S.
I'm going as high up as I can without going with the Stratus:)

Two signature reference SV-661R for left and right, and the SV-661CR center channel to go with them.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I'm going as high up as I can without going with the Stratus:)

Two signature reference SV-661R for left and right, and the SV-661CR center channel to go with them.
If I may ask why not 3 SV-661R's for the front 3 just not enough room need to go with the center? I'm biased that way I dislike center channel speakers and will go all day with 3 matching identical speakers for l c r all day but that's just me

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
If I may ask why not 3 SV-661R's for the front 3 just not enough room need to go with the center? I'm biased that way I dislike center channel speakers and will go all day with 3 matching identical speakers for l c r all day but that's just me
Well, the 661Rs are designed to work vertically whereas the 661CR is a real center speaker with a wide dispersion output that suits the demand, and can be placed under the display.

E

Erod

Audioholic
The center is below my screen, and I want to get the tweeter as high as possible so that it's (almost) in line with the tweeters of the left and right. That is critical to get the best panning and motion imaging.

If I used a vertical 661R, that would push the AMT of the center channel about 11 inches lower. I want that tweeter as close to the screen as possible.

I don't do AT screens. My Stewart Studiotek 130 destroys anything I've seen in an AT option to date.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
If someone wants to use identical SV-661R's for the LCR channels, then he has to use two of them, one each side of the display to have a proper audio balance. Then he has to ensure that the amplifier driving the two center speakers can handle the reduced resulting halved impedance.

E

Erod

Audioholic
If someone wants to use identical SV-661R's for the LCR channels, then he has to use two of them, one each side of the display to have a proper audio balance. Then he has to ensure that the amplifier driving the two center speakers can handle the reduced resulting halved impedance.
I have an Anthem MCA525. Each channel gets it's own separate 300 watts (at 6 ohms) to work with.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Well, the 661Rs are designed to work vertically whereas the 661CR is a real center speaker with a wide dispersion output that suits the demand, and can be placed under the display.
Makes complete sense if I can get away with 3 towers up front I'm going for it I've never been crazy about centers but I know that's not realistic for everyone I read a few posts on from yours and I like how the OP has got it set up I bet it's gonna sound killer

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
I am a bit biased. But I would say Triad for sure.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis