Buying a new Home Theater Receiver..What to buy?

J

Justin Bass

Enthusiast
Hello, Im new here. My Denon AVR 3300 that I had for years finally died, so im looking into getting a new receiver. Ive been looking for over a month now and Im thinking that come 2016, the prices will drop. Im looking at 2 receivers...A)Denon AVR-X4200W B)Onkyo TX-RZ900. Both say hey have 140 watts per channel, my old one was 105 WPChannel..I dont have a phono but that doesnt matter. Im looking for sound quality when I watch movies, music. I heared Denon has great processors and the Onkyo weighs 10 more pounds. Im looking at a $1000.00 budget give or take. Pros and Cons for both or even tell me about other receivers..What would you get for $1000.00??? let me know, thanks....Justin

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
What would you get for $1000.00???
Another fishing rod and reel. (I already have the Denon X4000 and love it. No problems. Works great. And the fact that I wouldn't replace it for free should tell you something.)

J

Justin Bass

Enthusiast
GREAT...Ive been a Denon fan for a long time. Thanks again

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The Onkyo will offer a little more power but it will be insignificant. The Denon comes with Audyssey that is very effective in setting up your subwoofer. They both have the same very decent DAC chips.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
GREAT...Ive been a Denon fan for a long time. Thanks again
On the video side the X4200W is closer to the SR7010, both have HDCP 2.2. On the audio side it may be an equal to the both SR7009 and 7010 but the Marantz have multichannel inputs and 2 more amp channels. The SR7009 does not have HDCP 2.2 either, so the X4100W is a much better deal right now.

According the homethearhifi review, obviously a subjective one:

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/buying-a-new-home-theater-receiver-what-to-buy.97266/

"Overall, the sound of the calibrated X4100W reminded me very much of the Marantz AV7702 that had recently left my system, especially in the midrange and highs, though the bass seemed more prominent than on the AV7702. I would still appreciate a lighter touch in the treble than Audyssey’s Reference curve, though the Audyssey curve likely benefits movies mixed using a similar curve.

Dialog intelligibility in movies and TV was maybe a little better at low levels compared to my reference Anthem AVR when using the Audyssey Reference curve, perhaps due to the treble boost. However, on music image depth was a little flatter and less layered. Even my preferred Audyssey curve for 2-channel music, Bypass LR, removed a smidge of lushness and palpability compared to Anthem ARC. Still, the X4100W is a solid-sounding AVR generally, and on stereo music in Bypass LR the X4100 sounds a lot like my reference AVR. As for Audyssey Flat, forget it. In my room at least, it sounds horrible."

Last edited:
J

Justin Bass

Enthusiast
Yes I want HD 2.2.....damn, can't afford the sr7010.. Devon Avr-x4200w is what I will get..

J

Justin Bass

Enthusiast
Its been awhile but I just purchased the Denon AVR-X6200w....I cant wait.. 9.2 140 watts per channel

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis