Burning HTPC question

U

usul

Audiophyte
I am a long time reader/av rant listener, but this is the first time I have a question. I am new to Hi-Fi, but I know I enjoy listening and watching quality AV output. I am slightly above average electronically skilled, but like I said new to Hi-Fi A/V stuff. I just graduated college and am now in professional school which means I do not have spare funds to just go out and buy something "just 'cause." On the other hand I am quite good with computers and software and have been thinking about building an HTPC for a while and Tom had a podcast on this a couple of months ago as well. From this stems my question:
Is there a reason a well designed HTPC (which I could do), which would be combining a movie player/burner, music player/burner, radio, HDTV tuner etc. could not function to produce a high quality picture and sound?
*of course assuming the components are good like high definition DVD players, good sound card, HD tuners etc.

In other words assuming one has quality speakers what would be neccessary to make the HTPC produce a decent sound and picture? Especially since with a good graphic card, the output through a computer can exceed (depending on the source) that of HDTV -- given a monitor (usually smaller) or a DVI input equpped Tv are used...

I assume it would take a signal amplifier, but the PC itself would at this point function as an A/V receiver so could this work? It seems like this way one could focus most of the funds in the actual speaker system, because a well-built HTPC would be much easier to upgrade as well.

THANK YOU

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Well, with an HTPC as a source, you still need an amplifier or receiver for the sound, an HDTV tuner, etc.

A PC does not make a very good receiver or preamp. A dedicated receiver is a much better option. You can find entirely decent receivers for well under $200 no problem anyway.

You don't even need a very good sound card. Any sound card with a digital (optical TOSLINK or digital coaxial) is more than sufficient. You really don't need an HD DVD drive either. Upscaled DVDs are really quite good, especially on a small screen.

U

usul

Audiophyte
I see what you are saying. My question more specifically asks what would specifically be the path of signal.

So say signal (whether movie, sound, CD, DVD, radio etc.) originates in the computer, and comes out of the sound card, where does it have to go next? I am asking this because it seems that using an A/V receiver is redundant, and if I still need a receiver/amp/pre-amp it seems it does not neet fancy functions such as upconversion, HDMI, etc. It seems to me that all it would need is straight up amplification of the signal, and decent relay of the signal into the desired 5.1 or 7.1 setup.

Am I understanding this anywhere near correctly?

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
The receiver will perform handy functions like amplifying your sound, performing crossover duties for your speakers and subwoofer, handle more than one input, etc.

You need an amplifier, and the receiver includes the amplification and signal processing. It'd be much easier and straightforward (not to mention cheaper) for you to use a receiver instead of connecting your PC directly to a couple of amplifiers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis