Bundling Speaker Wires

E

EdR

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I'm planning the runs for my new speaker wire, Sound King 12 ga. &nbsp;This will be for a 7.1 system, with, of course, four wires heading to the back of the room. &nbsp;My wife would prefer that I bundle them with cable ties. &nbsp;Any down side to this?

Thanks</font>

D

Dan Banquer

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Not that I can see, but then again it's early and I was up late watching the Super Bowl. Maybe after a few more cups of coffee I will come to.

d.b.</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Should be fine. &nbsp;May look kindof bulky, but there should not be any negative effects.

Shinerman</font>

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'>I went to one of those designer show houses a few years back with my wife, and one trick they used for exposed cords of various kinds was (I am not making this up) sewn fabric tubes that coordinated with the upholstery or drapes. Good WAF, anyway!

Ya know, what Gene should do is get five interior designers to moderate a WAF Forum...yep, Queer Eye for the Audiophile Guy!

To answer the inevitable wiseacre question: no, I am not volunteering. &lt;seinfeld&gt;Not that there's anything wrong with that!&lt;/seinfeld&gt;

Snide wisecracks aside, Ed's right; it is effective and can be attractive and easy.</font>

E

EdR

Audioholic
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Rip Van Woofer : <font color='#000000'>I went to one of those designer show houses a few years back with my wife, and one trick they used for exposed cords of various kinds was (I am not making this up) sewn fabric tubes that coordinated with the upholstery or drapes.</font>
<font color='#000000'>Actually, a very good idea and pretty easy to do. &nbsp;Thanks.</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>Just thought I would throw in something else, even though you have your wire. I used a 13awg wire from IXOS. It looks really cool. It has a silver wire, a grey wire, &amp; a clear (dummy) wire. The three wires are braided. I used this wire because I have a open, exposed beam ceiling. It looks like a chain link. Turned out really good!</font>

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Rip Van Woofer : <font color='#000000'>Ya know, what Gene should do is get five interior designers to moderate a WAF Forum...yep, Queer Eye for the Audiophile Guy!</font>
<font color='#000080'>OH, those silver tipped cryogenically frozen cables with matching strain relief are just to DIE for!

</font>

P

pam

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>How much current is needed to keep these cryogenic cables so cold? Also, is it big?
Bringing those cable near 0 Kelvin must be very tough. Also, do you have to keep your speaker internal wiring at cryogenic temperature?

AV is a wonderfull world where all dreams are possible!
</font>

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I work in a shipyard's engineering office. &nbsp;Just wandering about the yard you can find all sorts of neat things in the dumpster, &nbsp;200 feet of Belden 16b ga COAX, CAT5, some shielded 28 ga, some 3/16 tubular wire braid, shrink tubing, polyster braid, etc.. you see where I'm going with this?

I took 4 10ft lengths of the CAT5 shoved them inside the wire braid, then twisted 4 10ft lengths of COAX, the four CAT5 (now shielded), and six of the shielded 28 ga. Twisted them all up real nice and shoved them inside the polyster braid and shoved that inside the heat shrink and stuck on some Monster connectors - real sexy cable and big as a fire hose. Only cost was my time (i.e. free). &nbsp;Measured Capacitance was 2.8 pF per foot and inductance was 0.17 - 0.18 uH per foot measured on a B&amp;K 665. &nbsp;I cannot tell if they sound better than zip wire but dam sexy though.</font>

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
hawke : <font color='#000000'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote (Rip Van Woofer @ Feb. 02 2004,13:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ya know, what Gene should do is get five interior designers to moderate a WAF Forum...yep, Queer Eye for the Audiophile Guy!
OH, those silver tipped cryogenically frozen cables with matching strain relief are just to DIE for!

</font></td></tr></table>
<font color='#000000'>Oh, don't forget the alabaster vibration dampeners, you silly goose! &nbsp;
</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis