building first HTS, starting with HTR-5660

C

cagey

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>I'm an audio novice, finally replacing our very old receiver and speakers. I've listened to some receivers, and have decided on the Yamaha HTR-5660. However, I haven't a clue on what to do for speakers.

I've gone to Best Buy and CircuitCity and listened to JBLs and Infinity's, and right now I'd say I'm leaning toward the Infinity HTS20 package.

However, I'd be glad to spend a little more if it meant a significantly better system (but still need to keep the total on speakers below $800 for now), and am certainly open to components, maybe even using some of my cheap existing speakers (not the passive sub, and I don't have a center) for now.

If I buy components, my understanding is that I should focus on the center and the sub, and make sure I can add voice-matched mains for the speaker, either now or in the future.

I've also read that, in the sub, I should look for front-firing, and that its response should be below 30 Hz?

The room is 16x16, carpeted. The system is mainly for me, since everyone else likes what we have (we've had the current stuff over 15 years, and it's just thrown together). Of course, I think they'll love it, too, when they hear the difference.

As for usage, I'd say 15% music, the rest watching DVDs and television (and the kids will want to connect their PS2, I'm sure). I know I want good sounds, great special effects, but not a mushy, boomy bass.

I did see a lot of Harman Kardon speakers in their ebay store, but I haven't seen any locally to hear. &nbsp;Are they even decent speakers? .

Oh, since the receiver is 6.1, I'd like to go ahead and get 6.1 or 7.1, but the rear center can be added later.

I just read that the Yamaha YST-SW315 is a good sub, as is the Polk PSW450?

Suggestions? &nbsp;Advice? &nbsp;I'm totally lost, but looking forward to hearing a real system!</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>You wouldnt go wrong with the Yamaha sub, also check out Yamaha speakers like NS-555/777 which match very nicely with your receiver. Speakers from &nbsp;Magnepan, Axiom, Paradigm are also quite good, make sure to audition all of them. Instead or rear center spend the money on good matching surrounds and sub. The phantom mode in your receiver for rear center works quite good.</font>

C

cagey

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Thanks! &nbsp;I'll look for those locally to audition.</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>Try BB, Tweeters for Yamaha stuff.</font>

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
<font color='#000080'>I don't know if you read my twp part review of my YST-SW315 or not.  All I can say is ittakes alot to make it run out of gas, The Haunting DTS:ES version it started to sweat under the extremely loud and low segments.  As for music you can't go wrong.  I bought mine at etronics.com for $249 including shipping.

I think for the price range of speakers you should consider the Definitive ProMonitor 100s for the fronts and center, and PM80s for the rears.

~

Bob

Edit: Here's the YST-SW315 review</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
C

cagey

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Thanks! &nbsp;Great review!! &nbsp;I'm definitely going to go hear it.

I'd still like to consider the H/K speakers for the other 5 (center, mains, surrounds) because of their specs and price. &nbsp;Does anyone know anything at all about them?

For the sub, though, this looks like a winner. &nbsp;I'm also looking at the Polk 450 and 650.

Thanks again.</font>

C

cagey

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Bob, I haven't been able to find the SW315 so far. &nbsp;What's its relation to the SW320 (i.e. which is newer)? &nbsp;The local BB expects to get new Yamaha speakers in soon.

Our room is about 16x16x10 - would the SW315 fill it fine (my receiver is going to be the Yamaha HTR-5660)? &nbsp;On the other hand, how's it do at low volumes (I have two young kids, and will have to occasionally watch movies at low volumes).

And at high volume? &nbsp;I like to have friends over occasionally to watch action movies (LOTR, Black Hawk Down, etc).

Thanks again, man.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis