Building around RX-V1070

K

kltk165

Audiophyte
Evening, and Happy New Year, folks. We just purchase a home and would like to start the slow process of building a home theater in our basement. During the move, I got rid of all the audio/video equipment I had with the exception of a Yamaha RX-V1070 receiver. It's served us incredibly well for years and was wondering if there's a way to build a system around the RX-V1070. A new receiver isn't entirely out of the question, but if there's a way to keep the RX-V1070, we could put more funds into other (higher quality) components. We're going to need all new speakers and a DVD player. As my grandkids come over often, we may get a video game console to handle DVD duties. Like the receiver, this doesn't have to happen if there's a better way. Any insight the experienced folks here could add would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

A little about us to help shed some light.

1) We're not "audiophile's". However, high-quality audio/video is a distinct pleasure.
2) Movies take "somewhat" of a backseat to music. We're not huge movie watchers but when we do it definitely enhances the experience to have a capable system.
3) I'd like to keep the budget under $3k. $2.5K would be about right for the A/V equipment.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
At first I was thinking why dvds but looking at your receiver (was thinking A1070 at first glance), that's more a technology match to dvd than blu-ray! Maybe not so good for modern gaming consoles. What tv or are you thinking projection? Is the tv/projector in the budget? You thinking about a 5.1 speaker setup or ?

ps Looked some more at the V1070....it appears it's not even up to dvd technology.

K

kltk165

Audiophyte
Definitely TV, not likely to go the projector route. A TV is not included in that budget and is being considered a separate purchase. That said, it looks like the budget would, preferably, be $2.5k-$3k and would likely include the following. A receiver, speakers and a video playback source. As noted above, if they're as capable as most good DVD players, a game console would be a great solution.

Regarding speakers, having read a few threads here, I see a couple have left out subwoofers. I don't see myself doing that but I'm very open-minded about it and need to learn/hear more before making that call. Front Center/Right/Left and rear Right/Left are essentials.

Regarding TV, I'm a fan of Sony. They just appeal to me. Definitely something in the 4K family. I haven't spent enough time in the house to determine the screen size just yet.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Reason I asked was connectivity. The days of component and composite connections are going quick, you'd have to carefully select gear; hdmi is pretty much the standard now. The optical disc player or a game console might be able to handle dvd playing just fine in addition to games, but using a typical gaming controller if you're not a youngster might be annoying (altho a universal remote may be an option); most of these use hdmi connections, too. There are workarounds but think it might be time for a new receiver. You can pickup a very good receiver for reasonable with modern connectivity (and all that would be needed for a modern 4k tv and all modern sound codecs) options for $500-600.

What speakers did you have before? I'd keep the sub in the picture myself. Are you thinking bookshelf speakers? Towers? Combo? Any size/mounting/placement considerations for any speaker/sub?

You might look at companies like RSL, Hsu and SVS that offer both speaker/sub packages in your budget.

K

kltk165

Audiophyte
This is great. Exactly the input I was hoping to get. Thank you so much.

Dare I say it in this forum, I had a BOSE AM-5 setup. While I liked them their limitations were apparent. Especially as front speakers for video.

Regarding speakers, I'm very open to this because the more I read, the more options I see are available. I was particularly impressed when I watched Gene's video on setting up a $1500 home theater and he recommended using a particular dual woofer speaker as a center channel. I've found that speakers are the one component that cannot be purchased based on a spec sheet. They have to be heard. I'll definitely seek out and check the brands you're suggesting above. Fortunately, I live in the northeast (NJ and work in NYC) so finding someplace to hear them shouldn't be a problem.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
This is great. Exactly the input I was hoping to get. Thank you so much.

Dare I say it in this forum, I had a BOSE AM-5 setup. While I liked them their limitations were apparent. Especially as front speakers for video.

Regarding speakers, I'm very open to this because the more I read, the more options I see are available. I was particularly impressed when I watched Gene's video on setting up a $1500 home theater and he recommended using a particular dual woofer speaker as a center channel. I've found that speakers are the one component that cannot be purchased based on a spec sheet. They have to be heard. I'll definitely seek out and check the brands you're suggesting above. Fortunately, I live in the northeast (NJ and work in NYC) so finding someplace to hear them shouldn't be a problem.
Bose was pretty bad at making their gear useful as true components. Components are the better route. There are also various articles like this aside from videos https://www.audioholics.com/recommended-systems/2500-5.1-channel-recommended-system

The brands I mention may not be easy to audition (they're mostly internet direct type)....but RSL and SVS especially have in-home trial periods that are quite nice.

K

kltk165

Audiophyte
Thanks, I was just reading about that with the RSL speakers. 30-day trial and free shipping both ways. That's a great incentive.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If it has all the features/connectivity/power you need that would certainly work well too. Personally no experience with Yamaha avrs (I have had Denon, Onkyo & Pioneer) but they have a very good reputation; Denon I think has an advantage in its room equalization program (Audyssey XT32/SubEQ vs the Yamaha's YPAO) particularly for dual subs but that may be of little value to you.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis