Building a new home...

K

ksnewby

Audiophyte
I'm getting ready to break ground on a new home and want to make sure I take full advantage of the new construction opportunity. All my audio and home theater aspirations won't be accomplished by closing so I want to make sure that I don't short change myself for future implementations for both. Our house will be a two story with an unfinished basement that I plan to turn into a home theater. I would also like to be able to extend audio throughout the other levels and rooms in the house with the equipment probably residing in the basement with the rest of the home theater equipment. Do you have any suggestions/recommendations on ceiling vs wall mount vs free standing speakers in the other levels and rooms for audio? How about any "must do's" if given access to a home while it's in the framing stage (i.e. particular wiring, outlet/jack stubbing, breaker box, etc.)? In essence, what are the things that I need to be doing/considering during the construction phase of the house that will provide the most flexibility and adaptation for future audio and home theater projects?

Thank you for your help!

W

Westrock2000

Junior Audioholic
I too am having a house built right now. Although I didn't have any "audio" specific wiring done, I did have CAT5 outlets placed in various rooms. This way I can have MP3 servers (such as the AudioTron in the reviews section). But it also allows me to have computers (or any other future network products) and not have to worry about wireless problems. I put one in the downstairs living room, one up in the game room, and one in the main bedroom. Of course I can always install hubs, but hardwireing is good to have.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis