Build Your Own Multi Functional Theater Seat Riser

Savant

Savant

Audioholics Resident Acoustics Expert
meat,

Why don't you post all the details of your riser and I can go into more detail about your options:

Outside length?
Outside width?
Outside height?
Joist size?
Top material?
Top thickness?
Any fill?
Any other pertinent details?

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Outside length? 49 3/4"

Outside width? 149 1/2"

Outside height? 18 7/8"

Joist size? 2x6" Douglas Fir

Top material? 3/4" Plywood + commercial carpeting (home depot)

*All four vertical sides have two lengths of 2x6 running horizontally. These horizontal lengths are supported by vertical 2x6s. Unfortunately, I cannot remember if there are just 6 vertical 2x6s or more, perhaps 10.

Top thickness? Not exactly sure about carpeting thickness, not very thick at all. I have three 2x6 joists running from front to back which the ply top is drilled into (in addition to the "borders"). Which means 3" or slightly more in select spots, otherwise I guess 1" only, or slightly more, for almost the entire top.

Any fill? none

Any other pertinent details? As I mentioned, its just one huge box. I have at least six 2x6s supporting it vertically, but can't remember right now if I added more (if I did, ten total I suppose). To get the best details, I'll need help getting the seating off, and flipping the riser over. Its very, very heavy. Wood was cut in the garage, and assembled in-room.

While the bottom is totally "open", all other sides have ply completely covering it, drilled into 2x6s. Now that I think about it, there are probably some gaps between the large pieces of ply. I think small enough that I could seal these gaps when I flip the riser over.

Because of the "work" involved, I guess I wanted to know "everything" I was going to do before continuing. It would be a lot of work to do multiple procedures, even if one step was only for diagnostic purposes. :eek:

I appreciate your interest in helping me! :D

Savant

Savant

Audioholics Resident Acoustics Expert
Hmm... That's a little more difficult to follow than I would have anticipated. :eek: Any chance you could post a sketch of the riser, including the joist layout? (Sorry.)

FWIW, this is the part I am struggling with the most:

jostenmeat said:
*All four vertical sides have two lengths of 2x6 running horizontally. These horizontal lengths are supported by vertical 2x6s. Unfortunately, I cannot remember if there are just 6 vertical 2x6s or more, perhaps 10.
:confused: :)

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I will give google sketchup a shot in the near future. Thanks.

J

jamesnicholes

Audiophyte
Multi Functional Theater Seat Riser

thanx for the recipe buddy..............................................

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis