Budget System for parents

R

Rtstrider

Junior Audioholic
Ok here's the dilemma...We're finally getting new carpet and I have a chance to run the wire under the carpet...Now the rooms dimensions are 25x30 with a high pitched cathedral ceiling. I cannot use in wall speakers or in ceiling speakers. I would like to use the Yamaha 980watt reciever. Now are there any good bookshelfs I can use for the front, plus a good center channel, alongside rears that have great sound/projection qualities? This is a budget system, and we already have the Sony dual 10" sub (recycled from my old system)....Let's just say We have a $1000 cap on speakers.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Look in loudspeaker & sub

section lots of brands talked about as well as cost.Just follow the treads that fits your question.
PS: most of the guru's will help you but not when question is so broad!!:)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
With a $1K cap, I'd probably take a look at the SVS SBS-01 package, possibly with a subwoofer upgrade to the PB-12NSD, unless more severe bass isn't required (the PB-10 will do well already). That is a pretty good size room and will require a decent sub for good bass, and I'd sell the Sony sub on eBay... That whole package will still run you about $1K shipped I believe.

For speakers only, check out www.ascendacoustics.com , www.axiomaudio.com , and local dealers for www.paradigm.com or you can just add the SVS speakers to the existing sub for a lot less - www.svsound.com

What is the model of that receiver? 980w doesn't tell us enough; that is a marketing fluff type of rating that doesn't really tell you anything about actual capbility of the receiver.

FierceTIMbo17

FierceTIMbo17

Audioholic
j_garcia said:
With a $1K cap, I'd probably take a look at the SVS SBS-01 package, possibly with a subwoofer upgrade to the PB-12NSD, unless more severe bass isn't required (the PB-10 will do well already). That is a pretty good size room and will require a decent sub for good bass, and I'd sell the Sony sub on eBay... That whole package will still run you about $1K shipped I believe.

For speakers only, check out www.ascendacoustics.com , www.axiomaudio.com , and local dealers for www.paradigm.com or you can just add the SVS speakers to the existing sub for a lot less - www.svsound.com

What is the model of that receiver? 980w doesn't tell us enough; that is a marketing fluff type of rating that doesn't really tell you anything about actual capbility of the receiver.
i think he said $1000 for the whole speaker set-up. You can find some good deals you just need to shop around. Try u-bid and ebay, but first go listen to some speakers find out what brand you like. Personally right now i would just get a new sub and some bookshelfs. I think if you try to buy your whole surround package on a 1k budget if will just leave you wanting more. I know you have a sony sub but believe me, a svs or something equlailent will blow it away. Also im guess your yamaha is a htr-5890 just figured i would guess to see if im right.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis