V

Vic4x4

Audiophyte
Hello all,
What kind of small system can I build for about $500? I have a hdtv wall mounted and recently purchased a cheap Pioneer vsxlx103 and found a JBL Sub300 (overkill for a bedroom but free) and Polk audio RM2300 speakers. The setup sounds ok. But would like to slowly upgrade to something better. Opposite wall of TV I have a work desk.
TV mounted wall is about 11' sitting back about 11-12' cieling is 9'high. $500 budget would be to replace small speakers. Any help would be greatly apreciated.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would use that $500 to get a front stage speaker setup, so left, center, and right speaker. I would be looking at bookshelf speakers with 5.25" to 6.5" woofers with a matching center speaker. Look at accessories4less for some good deals. Some brands to look at there is Canton, Boston Acoustics, KEF.

V

Vic4x4

Audiophyte
Thanks shadyJ
Do rear speakers have to match fronts too?
Any specs I should be looking for?
This is not something I can take time and piece it together slowly.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Does the db rating matter much?
Higher dB means the speakers are easier to run (if rated at 8ohm, if 6 or 4ohm they are more difficult to drive at same dB compared to 8ohm)

You dont need the same rear/surround speakers as the front three.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Higher dB means the speakers are easier to run (if rated at 8ohm, if 6 or 4ohm they are more difficult to drive at same dB compared to 8ohm)

You dont need the same rear/surround speakers as the front three.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Agreed, it isn't critical that the surrounds match the fronts.
Thanks shadyJ
Do rear speakers have to match fronts too?
Any specs I should be looking for?
This is not something I can take time and piece it together slowly.
The specs aren't very important and can often be misleading. The basic design can often be more informative than a spec sheet.

Here is a quick recommend that looks good for the money, for example:
Canton GLE 426 for front left/right
Canton GLE 456.2 for the center

V

Vic4x4

Audiophyte
Any speakers I should stay away from?
Frys always has a "sale" on klipsch r14m, R15m(pairs) and center R25C for about $100 but not familiar with sound quality of a horn tweeter. Unless I should stay away from those for movies.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The Klipsch speakers should be good for the money, but I do think you can afford better in a $500 budget. If you wanted to wait for a sale, keep an eye on Harman's site which fairly frequently puts their Infinity Reference speakers on sale for major discounts. That is a tremendous bargain when it happens.

V

Vic4x4

Audiophyte
Yeah I can do that. I'm in no rush, the $500 budget is a safe side from getting yelled at by the Mrs. lol

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The Klipsch speakers should be good for the money, but I do think you can afford better in a $500 budget. If you wanted to wait for a sale, keep an eye on Harman's site which fairly frequently puts their Infinity Reference speakers on sale for major discounts. That is a tremendous bargain when it happens.
Yeah I can do that. I'm in no rush, the $500 budget is a safe side from getting yelled at by the Mrs. lol
This link will make it a little easier to check - it is the specific series of speakers ShadyJ is referring to:
https://www.infinityspeakers.com/reference-series-home/

When they are on sale, they will be discounted by about 50-60%! Definitely a great deal.
If you are getting a center, get the RC263 (assuming it is included in the sale)! At only $30 more than the RC252, it is a no-brainer.

A lot of good information in this thread!
https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/infinity-reference-speakers-serious-good-prices.111393/

Also note that they were reported on sale last year on May 28th. Maybe a Memorial day sale? Be sure to check next week to see if they are back on sale! Usually the sales last about a week.

V

Vic4x4

Audiophyte
I got a pair of Polk RTiA1 and a center channel CSiA4 from a friend that was moving. Big difference compared to the little 3" speakers. Would the RC263 be a big difference compared to the Rtia1?

V

Vic4x4

Audiophyte
How would the infinity speakers compare to the Polk speakers? Got the Rtia1 and center csia4 speakers from a friend who is was going from 5.1 to a soundbar. Still keeping an eye out for the infinity speakers, or should I just buy another set of rtia1 for the back surrounds?

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
How would the infinity speakers compare to the Polk speakers? Got the Rtia1 and center csia4 speakers from a friend who is was going from 5.1 to a soundbar. Still keeping an eye out for the infinity speakers, or should I just buy another set of rtia1 for the back surrounds?
Those RTi's are good, a lot of the upper echelon on here don't like Polk's, well cause some of them have the best speakers money can buy. But yeah RTi's are good buy for the money,. especially if you catch them on sale. If you can up your budget by a hundred bucks Polk has 50% off on their LSiM line I believe their LSiM 703's are going for 600 a pair now you'll be getting a much better pair front L/R speakers save up for the center down the road maybe even catch a refurb on Polks eBay site. Not pushing Polk it's just a suggestion. There are other's the where mentioned that are good to. But for speakers you can do worse than Polks RTi's. The knock on the RTi line are more on the Towers having a spike around the 6K range I believe? Meaning they have a bright sound ear fatiguing. But from what I've read from the reviews the ones who do have the RTi bookshelf say they are good for HT use when paired with a good Sub.

V

Vic4x4

Audiophyte
Those RTi's are good, a lot of the upper echelon on here don't like Polk's, well cause some of them have the best speakers money can buy. But yeah RTi's are good buy for the money,. especially if you catch them on sale. If you can up your budget by a hundred bucks Polk has 50% off on their LSiM line I believe their LSiM 703's are going for 600 a pair now you'll be getting a much better pair front L/R speakers save up for the center down the road maybe even catch a refurb on Polks eBay site. Not pushing Polk it's just a suggestion. There are other's the where mentioned that are good to. But for speakers you can do worse than Polks RTi's. The knock on the RTi line are more on the Towers having a spike around the 6K range I believe? Meaning they have a bright sound ear fatiguing. But from what I've read from the reviews the ones who do have the RTi bookshelf say they are good for HT use when paired with a good Sub.
Thanks, I was given the speakers, I think they sound really good. The only stereo shop we have is bestbuy, frys electronics and Walmart so my samplings are limited. I asked how they are because I didn't want to buy speakers for the sake of saying I have new speakers if the one I have are good. I am also limited to a bedroom so I prefer to stay with bookshelfs.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis