Budget 7.1 Home Theater

diablo rojo

diablo rojo

Audiophyte
I've been piecing systems of various sizes together for years. My "theater" experience was always limited by preexisting issues and obstacles. We decided to build a custom home almost two years ago, and I knew from day one that a home theater was going in.

Unfortunately, a dedicated room was not in the cards. I was forced to work within the confines of a loft. I also was burdened by the almighty budget. What I put together over the last year is something I'm pretty proud of.

Enjoy!

The details:

120" fixed frame screen from Visual Apex (best price by $200 when factoring shipping)
BenQ W1070 1080p projector from Visual Apex (best price by $100)
Denon AVR-E400 from MODIA (via Amazon)
3 Monoprice #6317: 5-1/4 Inches Center Channel Micro-Flanged In-Wall Speaker
4 Monoprice #4929: 8 Inches Kevlar In-Ceiling Speakers - w/ 15 Degree Angled Woofer

Media PC mods:
GeForce GTX 650
Asus Blu-ray player
EVGA 600W Power Supply

Entire house pre-wired for sound and data.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Very clean install. Good job on that. Couple of points : a) you forgot to mention model of your sub (i can see it) and b) if I were you, id go with on wall or inwall instead of in ceiling, well unless I was building Dolby atmos system :)

diablo rojo

diablo rojo

Audiophyte
Thanks for the compliment. Keeping it clean is very high on my list, almost as high as quality of sound. My components, server, modem, etc are all in the closet to the right of the Gone With The Wind poster.

I've had every type of speaker style over the years. Bookshelf, tower, satellite....across the spectrum of mid-priced brands. When I decided to go with in-wall/ceiling speakers, I didn't jump in lightly. The cavities in the ceiling were designed by a car audio friend of mine. The studs in the front wall are arranged in a boxed pattern and large enough for future upgrades. Understanding that the speakers themselves aren't ultra name brand, they have surprised me with their presence and poise under a range of abuse.

The sub is a Phase Technology Octave 1.0 that I just can't seem to part with.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, most of us on here are anti-inwall / anti-inceiling as far as speakers are concerned (and for good reason).

But, looks like you did some homework, and if you are happy with it then I won't rain on your parade.

It's good to know that those monoprice speakers are actually pretty decent?

Otherwise, it looks GOOD! Those seats look comfortable, and it looks like you made the most out of the space that you have available.

diablo rojo

diablo rojo

Audiophyte
If I had the choice, I would still have my towers. Two toddlers, and a future toddler have created a need for less risk.

Thank you, though.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
If I had the choice, I would still have my towers. Two toddlers, and a future toddler have created a need for less risk.

Thank you, though.
Yup, understood! Sometimes we have to make compromises and figure out our true priorities. I think in your situation, you made a good choice.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis