BSCD's is it really better?

EthicalEar

EthicalEar

Junior Audioholic
Blu-Spec CD. I only have two so far. I think they are better but are they worth it? Con's: #1 when a new one is released it takes weeks or a month longer to get than the regular CD. #2 they are pricey. The theory behind them makes a lot of sense regarding the pits and materials. Wondering if I should continue to choose the BSCD when it is available. Would appreciate opinions.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Blu-Spec CD. I only have two so far. I think they are better but are they worth it? Con's: #1 when a new one is released it takes weeks or a month longer to get than the regular CD. #2 they are pricey. The theory behind them makes a lot of sense regarding the pits and materials. Wondering if I should continue to choose the BSCD when it is available. Would appreciate opinions.
Try this website,
Screenshot_20220325-181315.png

CNet.com
Screenshot_20220325-181457.png

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I’ve never heard of BSCDs - interesting. There are folks out there that swear by “gold” CDs and other types - I may have a couple in my collection. I think the best way to go about seeing if they indeed make a difference (and are therefore worth it) would be to get a regular CD copy as well (added expense, I know) and compare the two. Let us know your results!

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I’ve never heard of BSCDs - interesting. There are folks out there that swear by “gold” CDs and other types - I may have a couple in my collection. I think the best way to go about seeing if they indeed make a difference (and are therefore worth it) would be to get a regular CD copy as well (added expense, I know) and compare the two. Let us know your results!
I didn't know of it either. My post isn't a knock on OP's post. I had to google BSCD. Interesting read. But yeah I'd say compare the 2 and see what's up. I'm gonna research this some more. I'm actually glad he posted this up, I learned something today.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah hadn't noticed these before. Now, if it was actually remixed or remastered as a special release that could be interesting I'd think, but just the same recording on a "special" disc no thanks. So it still uses the basic cd transport/player laser despite cutting it with the blu-ray tech to some extent? Meh. CDs already play fine.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
That Blue Spec CD is just another audiophoolery product.

It is not a new recording format as such. It's just a transfer of a digital master recording using the shorter blue ray length, thus enabling the CD to be played by an ordinary CD player. It has the same audio quality as the original master recording. There is no value in such transfer. You cannot improve on the original master recording. That is audiophoolery bullshit.

The quality of the master recording plays a far more significant role than the format or resolution it is distributed in:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well it has appropriate initials in place perhaps :) I saw a reference to this starting in Japan. For the guys who have their own power pole?

EthicalEar

EthicalEar

Junior Audioholic
Very interesting responses. Thank you all. Love the "BS" reference. Some reviews noted a smoother response. The way they are cut is different and logically can provide a better transfer of data. instead of a V bit of info it's an actual open box so it seems to allow for no limitations of the actual sound. But very true it's never better than a master DAT tape. If each bit of information was better separated, allowing all players to read and not miss any of the information, could the transfer sound better? Ok now for the comparison so far. Comparison CD and BSCD is "The Absolute Universe" from "Transatlantic" I have the Abridged version BSCD and I got the Extended Version that came with my Vinyl extended version. Record "InsideOut Music for both. The surfaces of the discs also looks cleaner than a regular CD. Is that because of the different laser or material? Listening through my Focal Arche and Stellia headphones I felt more expression from Stolt's guitar. I'm going to have to listen again for notes and vocals and especially Portnoy's drums then I'll weigh in deeper. To me it was all richer. Also in the BSCD abridged version, whenever the music changes back to the main theme there is a complete stop. Such a pronounced production silence that it seemed like the BSCD picked this up where other CDs when making a studio edit, would not have noticed. I can't compare that so why am i saying it? Because I noticed it. Again, i will re-compare and report. I'll be listening for all the little details in my Stellias.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Very interesting responses. Thank you all. Love the "BS" reference. Some reviews noted a smoother response. The way they are cut is different and logically can provide a better transfer of data. instead of a V bit of info it's an actual open box so it seems to allow for no limitations of the actual sound. But very true it's never better than a master DAT tape. If each bit of information was better separated, allowing all players to read and not miss any of the information, could the transfer sound better? Ok now for the comparison so far. Comparison CD and BSCD is "The Absolute Universe" from "Transatlantic" I have the Abridged version BSCD and I got the Extended Version that came with my Vinyl extended version. Record "InsideOut Music for both. The surfaces of the discs also looks cleaner than a regular CD. Is that because of the different laser or material? Listening through my Focal Arche and Stellia headphones I felt more expression from Stolt's guitar. I'm going to have to listen again for notes and vocals and especially Portnoy's drums then I'll weigh in deeper. To me it was all richer. Also in the BSCD abridged version, whenever the music changes back to the main theme there is a complete stop. Such a pronounced production silence that it seemed like the BSCD picked this up where other CDs when making a studio edit, would not have noticed. I can't compare that so why am i saying it? Because I noticed it. Again, i will re-compare and report. The Second BSCD I have is also Mike Portnoy, this time with Liquid Tension Experiment 3. BSCD comes with bonus improve disc that shows Portnoy's, Pertucci's and Rudess at there best. Toni Levin is always masterful. They are just jamming trading solo's etc.. and OMG. Best CD of music I have. The improve CD doesn't come with my Vinyl of the LTE 3. Sorry to get off track but the musical skills of these guys shown in this jam surpasses everything progressive rock has made to date in my opinion. Had to share that. I'll get back to you on comparing again when I get a chance - I'll be listening for all the little details in my Stellias.
One thing to consider is are you listening to different masterings among the various versions/media? Vinyl could be hard to compare to digital altogether just due surface noise. Don't see how the digital bits get "better" in any case. Are the comparisons at least level matched?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
One thing to consider is are you listening to different masterings among the various versions/media? Vinyl could be hard to compare to digital altogether just due surface noise. Don't see how the digital bits get "better" in any case. Are the comparisons at least level matched?
Vinyl would also never compare to digital formats because of its limited dynamic range.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Vinyl would also never compare to digital formats because of its limited dynamic range.
Well, that depends somewhat on the particular mastering for the media. Some vinyl versions have wider range for a particular release....but with better quality recordings don't think that's been a particular issue for me at least.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis