Brothers in Arms stereo SACD?

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I was glad to see my mailman yesterday. He delivered the Dire Straits 20th Anniversary edition of Brothers In Arms SACD. I rushed to my Sony DVP-S9000ES and fired it up. First thing I noticed however, after inserting the "SACD" into the player, was the SACD function light on the Sony player went out and the CD function light came on. Pushing the SACD function button would not get this album to switch from CD. What's up with this? The SACD packaging says the disc has a stereo SACD layer, but, as it is, not on my player.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Sounds like a problem with the player. Mine works fine in my Oppo, though I have actually not tried the 2ch track because the multichannel track is so good.

S

sterling shoote

This is the only SACD I own which does not play properly, that's to say, it does not play the stereo layer on a hi-bred disc which also contains CD and multi channel SACD layers. In fact, I went through my whole collection of hi-bred SACD's which in addition to a stereo SACD layer also contain either multi channel and/or CD layers; and, all but this new disc will output stereo SACD. Either my player won't read the stereo SACD layer, perhaps because the disc is not to spec, or the disc does not have a stereo SACD layer. Maybe you could see if your player will play your copy of this disc in stereo SACD, since you have it in your collection, and advise. The label on the SACD clearly alludes to there being a stereo SACD layer, but I'm wondering about that right now.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'd suspect just a bad disc in general; I've gotten two myself: NIN:The Downward Spiral Deluxe played when I first bought it, then had some tracks fail and then the disc simply would not play on any of my players. The other was Three Doors Down Away From the Sun. Had them replaced and the replacements worked fine in both cases. Does the multichannel play? I will check the stereo layer this evening.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Stereo worked fine for me. Bad disc or your player doesn't like that disc.

S

sterling shoote

Thanks. I'll return my disc for a replacement. Bummer.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis