Broken Pin in Subwoofer

T

Terry22

Audiophyte
Help! broke the pin off in my sub-woofer, any ideas short of taking my sub apart, on how i might get this out? I tried to get it out with a dental pick, but i only manage to push it further in. It broke off in the right input, Can I just start using the left input ,as I only use a single cable. Or would this damage my sub? I can't afford to have it serviced by a Pro, at this time. Should I not use it till I can take it in? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Earthquake Sub 120, 12" down firing sub.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
You can use the left input, no problem.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You can use the left input, no problem.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Yes, no harm will come of using the left input.

Now for something I do not know, if the right input is also labeled the LFE input does that change anything as far as performance? I've always heard it doesn't make a difference but why are some manufacturers making a point of labeling only one input? It makes it look like you're supposed to either use both, or just the right one for LFE.

T

Terry22

Audiophyte
Thanks for the info. I'm on covd19 time so I did a little investigating , as I'm a new member, ihad a look around the site, there is a very good article on subs for beginners.On using both inputs,apparently it gives you some type of better or easier adjustment range after or before calibration. I will have to read it again. However the same sound can be produced with one. Go figure

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Generally the advantage to using both inputs is a slight gain advantage, possibly useful if you have low output on your sub pre-out or only have L/R pre-outs and need the sub to sum the signal. Some subs have one input marked LFE and will bypass the sub's built in low pass filter automatically, but just dial it up to max otherwise (or to be sure). You might also see if you can access the connector better by removing the amp....or just use the other input as mentioned.

T

Terry22

Audiophyte
Generally the advantage to using both inputs is a slight gain advantage, possibly useful if you have low output on your sub pre-out or only have L/R pre-outs and need the sub to sum the signal. Some subs have one input marked LFE and will bypass the sub's built in low pass filter automatically, but just dial it up to max otherwise (or to be sure). You might also see if you can access the connector better by removing the amp....or just use the other input as mentioned.
So just how hard would it be for me to remove the amp, and what would I be looking for , or what would it look like? Does anybody have a picture?
Not sure if this within my skill set.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
If you're unsure of exactly what the amp on your sub looks like I would suggest that you don't even think about removing it. If you can't get the pin out with a pair of pliers and it works just fine using the other input I'd leave it at that.

T

Terry22

Audiophyte
Went on utube found a video, where you heat a bent tipped nail, slide into hole with broke pin, let cool, and pull. Took 3 tries, and it worked. problem solved.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So how did you break it off in there in the first place? :) Congrats on getting it out....

T

Terry22

Audiophyte
Here's the long answer I can only guess, i believe the cord was stepped on or got caught on something whilst I was moving it.My set up is as such that I had to remove my closet doors, turn a coffee table on end then build a small wall so i could hang my TV, the sub sits next to it,next to that is 1.7 Maggie. The reason I had to do this was I needed every extra inch of throw space for my Projector. On the shelf behind I have all my collectables which occasionally I have to get into. thus I have to move the sub. If anybody would like to see this let me know, I'll post some pics, might give others with tight spaces some ideas.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So how did you break it off in there in the first place? :) Congrats on getting it out....
Had it happen to me not long ago too, but I have a few tools and managed without much trouble. I do swap speakers around and my interconnects see more action than most. I'll admit to being a tad careless too. I know better now tho.

T

Terry22

Audiophyte
Had it happen to me not long ago too, but I have a few tools and managed without much trouble. I do swap speakers around and my interconnects see more action than most. I'll admit to being a tad careless too. I know better now tho.
I decided to create a loop and tack it down with tape, that way I'll here the tape pulling long before pressure gets to the connector. Fool me once,eh.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis