Broken Denon x2600h

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
If the substances that got on the board were wet, it's likely a weak short, like touching a finger to the tip of an RCA plug or bypassing a filter cap. Also, I didn't see anything about smoke, sizzling or smelling like something is cooking.

highfigh

highfigh

An internal ground loop certainly can be caused by an internal poor ground. Especially in the unit under question. There is going to be corrosion in the rounds of cable connectors and board pins. I would bet there is raised resistance to grounds all over that unit.

This unit might possibly be salvaged by a total dismantling and cleaning of every press fit connection with tuner cleaner, Q-tips and compressed air. Every single board will need careful cleaning. There will be hundreds of hours involved cleaning this unit up. Then at the end, this situation may have done some component damage and a lot of hard work will be for nothing.

Lastly, I would point out, that in the design of any nit, the internal ground plane needs tremendous thought and care. Even small mistakes to the design of the ground plane can really bite you.
Hopefully, whatever got in wasn't wet, like soup.

Not sure why you mention the design when we know something wet entered the case. I think it would be worth removing most of whatever it is, blotting the moisture and forcing air in might take care of it, but it would help to know more about the foreign material.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Seriously, that thing is filthy and not just from a recent mishap. I think a dog has been shedding and pissing on the thing for a very long time. It’s not worth the time and effort. Get a new one and keep it clean.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, that thing is filthy and not just from a recent mishap. I think a dog has been shedding and pissing on the thing for a very long time. It’s not worth the time and effort. Get a new one and keep it clean.
I didn't see the photo until just now- if I had seen it sooner, I would never have posted anything about the possibility of cleaning it. That's toast. Time to get rid of it and hide the new one.

Mitzy

Mitzy

Enthusiast
Cat has been sleeping on it too, it's nice and warm lol

Will replace but that'll be months, other priorities 1st. I'm still going to take it apart again and have another go and a more thorough clean :)

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Cat has been sleeping on it too, it's nice and warm lol

Will replace but that'll be months, other priorities 1st. I'm still going to take it apart again and have another go and a more thorough clean :)
I'm with TLS Guy. That unit will require complete disassembly to clean properly. I don't think contact cleaner spray alone will clean the amount of muck on there. Isopropyl alcohol is safe on circuit boards and can be used with a stiff paint brush to clean surfaces. Contact cleaner can be used along with a brush as well but some contain lubricants and you don't want to use something that leaves a residue. Brake cleaner is a good solvent too and evaporates completely but you should test areas first as it is a more harsh chemical solvent. Alcohol and contact cleaner are safest. Any corrosion needs to be removed and if possible resoldered. Not a job I would want to take on. :D

Last edited:
Mitzy

Mitzy

Enthusiast
Before

After

I wasn't confident completely dissembling it but I was okay to take out the amp/heatsinks. I literally drowned everywhere in contact cleaner and started scrubbing. For some of the more stubborn areas I used warm soapy water too lol Let it dry and then put it back together.

The unit itself still hums but connecting the sub and it does not hum, at least for now anyway. Going to keep an eye on it for the next little while. Hope this thread is useful to some.

highfigh

highfigh

Before

After

I wasn't confident completely dissembling it but I was okay to take out the amp/heatsinks. I literally drowned everywhere in contact cleaner and started scrubbing. For some of the more stubborn areas I used warm soapy water too lol Let it dry and then put it back together.

The unit itself still hums but connecting the sub and it does not hum, at least for now anyway. Going to keep an eye on it for the next little while. Hope this thread is useful to some.
When has ANYONE recommended using water inside of a piece of electronic equipment????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Mitzy

Mitzy

Enthusiast
It's not as much of an issue as you appear to be making of it.........

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
When has ANYONE recommended using water inside of a piece of electronic equipment????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
I've seen photos of people hosing down amps, with claims that if allowed to dry, apparently they work still. Not something I'd want to do particularly, but if I was ready to write the unit off...

highfigh

highfigh

It's not as much of an issue as you appear to be making of it.........
Maybe not now, but moisture has a bad habit of corroding things over time.

I have worked in audio in some way since 1972 and water & electronics have never been friends- it's all a matter of where it goes and since you posted that it still hums, I wouldn't exactly consider it 'repaired'.

Mitzy

Mitzy

Enthusiast
Didn't say it was repaired though did I? As @lovinthehd pointed out, it is not uncommon, it is a thing that people do. The power was disconnected, it was dry when reassembled and still functions. But also I do consider this a right off, just one last chance to save a couple of K. So sadly on that front, I failed

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Didn't say it was repaired though did I? As @lovinthehd pointed out, it is not uncommon, it is a thing that people do. The power was disconnected, it was dry when reassembled and still functions. But also I do consider this a right off, just one last chance to save a couple of K. So sadly on that front, I failed
Good try, tho!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis