Brillian Launches New 65-inch LCoS HDTV

In a move to ensure early market input is incorporated into its 720p HDTV product design, Brillian Corporation has signed on a limited number of high-end, Phoenix Audio/Video (A/V) dealers to begin marketing its 65" Gen II liquid-crystal-on-silicon (LCoS) HDTVs. Later this summer, the HDTVs will be marketed under private label by Brillian's first national retail channel partner. The LCoS sets have up to 2000:1 contrast ratio, but little else is known about the units specifications. We'll follow this company closely as LCoS technology, as shown in our display technologies guide, has much potential in the market but has received less attention of late. In January, Toshiba announced it had stopped manufacturing LCoS displays due to chip shortages and manufacturing difficulties. At the same time, however, Intel promised to revolutionize the format in 2004 through streamlining the chip manufacturing process and allowing for very inexpensive, high-quality televisions.

Read the Full Story...

Rex

Rex

Audioholic
I also just noticed Good Guys offering a Philips I believe LCos TV, 62 inch for $4200. So, is this LCos TV better than the Plasma in longevity and clarity? I did notice that these TV's are a bit wider than Plasma's and cannot hang on the wall or anything like that.

U

Unregistered

It looks like Sears will carry this TV under there own name Veos.

The big deal with LCoS is that it's very high resolution and has almost no pixel gaps like LCD. It's a rear projection technology, so it's thin for a rear projection set (13-16") but not flat.

IF (and this is a big IF) they can get the chip manufacturing process and costs down, the sets are supposed to be super cheap to make.

B

bman

Maybe on to something

I got to see one at Jerry's Audio and Video. The contrast is very good. With the room lights dimmed or on the neighboring systems wash out, but this one did not. The crisp cinema-like image makes the price seem worth it. At 65" not sure I would want to re-enforce my wall anyway. Just have to win the wife over.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis