Bram Stokers Dracula Superbit

W

westie7

Enthusiast
This is one of my favorite movies and I have been holding out waiting for the Re-release, although I don't know if this is going to happen. I have the laserdisc but no longer have a player. I would rather not get the Superbit if it's going to be disappointing, anyone recommend?

F

flyv65

Full Audioholic
A friend of mine bought the Dracula DVD then trotted out and b ought the superbit when it was available...his opinion (and I agree), is that there is virtually no difference-save your bucks.

Bryan...but the 5th Element and Stargate Ultimate editions are great...

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
I bought both Dracula versions. IMHO the DTS of the Superbit is worht the price premium. The additional encoding space also provided for fewer compression artifacts visible on really big screens (its was a moderate upgrade to be sure, but still a slight increase).

Now the bad news:

*No extras on either DVD.
*Transfer is actually worse than the Laserdisk! yes you get improved resolution with DVD, but the LD & DVD were obviously taken from different sources of different quality. The DVD tends to have some red "blooming" (such as in Draculas robes) that the LD didnt have, and contrast is better in dark scenes on the LD.

Of course theres always the rumour of a new 2-disk special edition with digitally restored picture and all the extras from the lasderdisk.... but the same rumour has been around since at least 1998.

W

westie7

Enthusiast
Thanks for the info guys. I believe the LD extras are owned by Criterion and unless they release the DVD we will not have them on DVD. Terrible, such a great film and tons of extras on the LD.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis