Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I am looking for my first Blue Ray disc player. I now have a good AV receiver (B&K AVR 507) that predates the HDMI era. It does have 7.1 analog audio inputs for another multi-channel audio source. I intend to keep it and find a BR player with the appropriate analog audio out jacks, or an external HDMI to 7.1 audio converter. My options are:

1. Oppo BDP-93 for $500 – It seems to have all I need, but the price is high.

2. Panasonic DMP-BDT500 for $330 – A new model that may have everything I need, but I can't download a manual to see what it doesn't do. BMXTRIX suggested I get this model, and his knowledge of HT video is not questioned, its the best. Does anyone know what BR audio formats it can and cannot decode and send out via the 7.1 audio analog outputs?

3. A less expensive BR player that lacks analog audio outputs, plus a converter that takes HDMI in and converts the audio to 7.1 analog outputs.
I searched and found these two converters
HDMI Multi-Channel PCM 5.1 7.1 Surround Audio Decoder for $128

Dual output 4x2 HDMI Matrix switch with 7.1 Analog Audio output. Full 1080P. Connect HDMI to HDTV and 7.1 Analog Audio to Audio reciever, 1RU mounts included for $350

From what I read about these converters, they look like they would do the job I want. I'd like a 2nd opinion on these. Is there anything I'm missing or not understanding about them that I should know? As usual, what it doesn't say is as important as what it does say.

Obviously, the $128 converter would suit me better. It seems to do this:

• Supports Dolby 5.1, Dolby Digital, DTS and LPCM 2 channels output through the optical output.
  • Supports uncompressed LPCM 7.1, LPCM 5.1 and LPCM 2 channels output through the multi-channel 3.5 mm stereo output ports.
  • Supports the new lossless digital bitstream for Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD Master Audio through the HDMI input and output port.
For multi-channel analog audio it sends signal out through four 3.5 mm stereo jacks, not RCA jacks. A problem? This requires 4 cables with 3.5 mm stereo plugs on one end and a pair of RCA plugs on the other end, or find some converter plugs so I can use standard RCA interconnects. I don't expect that would be a problem.

Because of the cost of these converters, the Panasonic is looking better and better. I wish I could see it's owner's manual.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
When you say "decode" what do you mean? All of the current players can decode the current audio formats, but if you are talking about different formats like SACD/DVD-A, that would be a different answer.

Rather than involve another device, I'd stick with one with analog outs that decodes internally. If/when you upgrade to a HDMI receiver, you won't have an extra piece of gear that you don't need.

I would go with the Oppo, but if price is a concern, I have had two Panasonic BD players and I agree with BMX that they are one of the better choices.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
When you say "decode" what do you mean? All of the current players can decode the current audio formats, but if you are talking about different formats like SACD/DVD-A, that would be a different answer.
By "decode" I mean whatever it takes so I can play all the various Blue Ray audio formats via the 7.1 analog outputs. I'm not interested in SACD or DVD-A.

I want to see the Panasonic manual before buying so I won't be disappointed if I read that one or several audio codecs are available only via HDMI connection. Those unpleasant facts have been known to be hidden in fineprint as footnotes.
Rather than involve another device, I'd stick with one with analog outs that decodes internally. If/when you upgrade to a HDMI receiver, you won't have an extra piece of gear that you don't need.
Good point, I hadn't thought of that. I don't plan to get a HDMI receiver, but never say never…
I would go with the Oppo, but if price is a concern, I have had two Panasonic BD players and I agree with BMX that they are one of the better choices.
Your experience with them is good to know. Thanks.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If the main concern is DTS and DD, then all codecs should be able to be passed via analog or HDMI. First and second generation players may not have done this, but we are well into something like 7th or 8th generation players, so I understand you want to verify, but I highly doubt that a current player would not pass everything.

It may be no consolation, but the Oppo should definitely pass everything via analog because mine is one generation older and it already did. If not interested in DVD-A/SACD, then this one probably wouldn't be the best choice since that is one of the reasons why one would want it.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
This is one of the very few times I would recommend going with the Oppo. I don't really trust that first HDMI->analog adapter you linked, and by the time you've gotten the second adapter you linked to and a reasonable BDP you're pretty much at the price of the Oppo, which will reduce clutter and be all around nicer.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
This is one of the very few times I would recommend going with the Oppo. I don't really trust that first HDMI->analog adapter you linked, and by the time you've gotten the second adapter you linked to and a reasonable BDP you're pretty much at the price of the Oppo, which will reduce clutter and be all around nicer.
Is there any specific reason why you don't trust that HDMI-analog adapter, or does it just seem too good to be true at that price?

When I read it, it seemed like they said all the right things without any squishy or ambiguous language.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Is there any specific reason why you don't trust that HDMI-analog adapter, or does it just seem too good to be true at that price?

When I read it, it seemed like they said all the right things without any squishy or ambiguous language.
A combination of price point and the use of minijacks on the output, I just don't like minijacks.

S

Sounds Good

Senior Audioholic
Ive heard the PS3s make very good BR players too.. and you get the bonus of a video game system..

runswithscisors

runswithscisors

Audioholic
One Panasonic manual

:D

Look lower on the page where it says something like "operation instructions", it has a button that says "view", then it takes you to another page, you have to click a disclamer box, then it lets you download the PDF.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
You're going to need a big plasma TV to get the most out of the expensive Oppo. :D

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
If you go with te Panny, I wish you better luck than I did with my BD-85, which I bought specifically for the MC analog outputs. The analog MC failed (no subwoofer) in 8 months and I went through 5 months and three refurbs with the exact same problem (and others) before giving up and settling for a lesser replacement (no analog MC audio) just to put it behind me. Besides, the shipping charges outweighed what I would have had to spend for a better unit.

So, if it works forever, fine but heaven help you should it ever need service, even under warranty.

Personally, I'd go for the Oppo if I had it to do all over again.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
You're going to need a big plasma TV to get the most out of the expensive Oppo. :D
That will have to take its place at the bottom of my long term capital expenditure list… below a tube amp and new turntable ;).

I read that manual last night that runswithscisors found (thanks again :D). It looks like that Panasonic BR player is the one for me. It costs $170 less than the Oppo 93, lacks SACD/DVD-A, but has everything else I think I want. It seems to have all sorts of networking features (wireless or ethernet) that right now mean little to me, but may be of use once I get one of these.

I won't look any further into those HDMI-analog audio converters.

Thanks to everyone who responded, especially to BMXTRIX who originally suggested the Panasonic DMP-BDT500, and runswithscisors who found a way to download an owner's manual. One slight caveat: the manual came from a Panasonic UK web site, and is meant for the version of the DMP-BDT500 sold in Europe and the UK. Other than electric power source difference, I suspect it is no different than the North American model but I don't know for certain.

Amazon says there is a 3 to 5 week wait for this model. I wonder if its actually released yet?

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
If you go with te Panny, I wish you better luck than I did with my BD-85, which I bought specifically for the MC analog outputs. The analog MC failed (no subwoofer) in 8 months and I went through 5 months and three refurbs with the exact same problem (and others) before giving up and settling for a lesser replacement (no analog MC audio) just to put it behind me. Besides, the shipping charges outweighed what I would have had to spend for a better unit.

So, if it works forever, fine but heaven help you should it ever need service, even under warranty.

Personally, I'd go for the Oppo if I had it to do all over again.
Mark - I hear your warning. Coming from you, that means something.

Because of the big price difference between the Panny and the Oppo, I'm probably going with the Panny. Being a cheapskate (with good taste) makes me choke on the idea of a $500 disc player. To put it in context, my receiver cost me $850 (used), the 2-channel amp was $400 (used), and my present DVD player cost $30 (new). I haven't got my money's worth out of the first 2 items yet, and maybe not the 3rd either.

I haven't ordered the Panny yet…

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
With every company you always have the possibility of lemons. There's no getting around them; it just so happens that Mark got one. I wouldn't call it indicative of Panasonic judging from the comments of others. My parents also have two Panasonic BD players, one of which is my old BD-60, and they are both still going strong after years. My BD-65 is about two years old also.

By comparison, my PS3 was $650 new (original 1st generation) and died in 3 years. Repairing it cost me more than my BD-65 :mad: You probably don't want to know how much my Oppo cost :)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
With every company you always have the possibility of lemons.
I think Markw had a few bad '85s. Beyond lemon I think the drift is that the 85 is a bad model. My Panny 60 is without issue after probably 3 years ... well, it did make grumbling noises a while back but that seems to be over. I'm glad to know about the issues with the 85 as that would be my next go to model for the analog outs so thanks Mark. ;)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
In another thread BMX recommended the 75 rather than the 85, and the 75 can still be found new for some reason, even though it is an older model. IIRC, the 75 has m/c analog outs.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
In another thread BMX recommended the 75 rather than the 85, and the 75 can still be found new for some reason, even though it is an older model. IIRC, the 75 has m/c analog outs.
You got me all excited with the m/c outs ... I googled it and found it from like $75-$100 ... then I saw the analog outs were only 2 channel. Who's gonna clean up this mess? :eek: :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Hmmmmm... I nominate BMX :) But maybe I misunderstood what he was saying.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
They no longer sell the BD-85.

I might have a better feeling towards Panasonic had they told me they had another MC unit on the horizon. As it is, they said they had no other CURRENT units that had MC audio which technically was true, but this went down about two months ago. So, I settled for less.

Nw, had they told me a new MC unit was on the horizon and offered to send me the one when it was released, I might feel different but, somehow, I feel lied to and cheated.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis