Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'>Found this awhile ago &amp; thought the gang would find it interesting (if it hasn't been referenced here before). It's by a marketing consultant who works mainly for tech companies.

Tips from the B-se Marketing Playbook

(the link won't work unless you change &quot;bose&quot; to the correct spelling in the URL) Maybe it's time to disable this &quot;feature&quot;, Gene!

</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>Very cool.

I still think they $u(&amp;!

Most people believe it if they hear it from someone other than you.

I am one of those people, like most here, that will take what you tell me &amp; if it interest me, I will study it &amp; make my own decision!

Funny thing about people!
</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>LOL, actually I wasn't the one who applied that filter, but I think I just removed it ;)

Testing:
Bose 123 Bose

A very good article BTW.</font>

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'>Holey shmoley! I made the front page!!
</font>

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Thanks Rip. I have 2 relatives,1 who bought a bose surround system with the cheap little cubes &amp; towers,1 which has a powered sub, and another who bought the wave radio. I had the 1 person,who bought the surround system,over to listen to my humble,all-bought-on-sale system. He commented on how well the center channel seem to add to the presence of vocals &amp; the stereo effect of the instruments. When I told him I disable the center when listening to music he didn't believe me.In the end I'm happy to say that, when I explained to him why his system sounded so different, he took it like a man.
&nbsp;The other person? I think I'll just e-mail them this article &amp; call it good.</font>

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Rip Van Woofer : <font color='#000000'>Holey shmoley! I made the front page!!
</font>
<font color='#000000'>Ya big Suckup! &nbsp;

Congrats! &nbsp;Don't forget to thank the Academy. &nbsp;

Shinerman</font>

<font color='#000080'>I just installed a system costing less than half of a comparable B-se system and the people were so impressed with the sound they couldn't believe it.

Truth is, most people have never heard a surround system with speakers pointed in the right directions... Just about ANYTHING will impress most people. Among other things, Bose is capitalizing on that fact. And people like the pride associated with Bose ownership.

It works in the online community as well. We exposed (rather harshly, unfortunately) a company that was selling sub-par equipment at exhorbitant prices (they have a very large marketing budget as well) and the result was hatred from current owners and severe criticism consisting of little fact, and much emotion.

Well, that company is about to release a brand new product. Know what the added so far? Dolby Pro Logic IIx. The rest of the specs are just about the same. This is after almost 2 years (by product release).

Out prediction is that half of the people may wake up, but the other half will defend the new product even more because their Version 3 product isn't really even obsolete (just look at the anger created by Integra Research's updates on this topic). Justification by stagnation.</font>

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
<font color='#000000'>I actually once heard a pair of bose 901's in the early 80's that were setup correctly and at the time they did not sound that bad, they were being run on one of the early adcoms that looked like a square block, anyone remember those. I say they did not sound bad, but that was a long time ago and I know much more now than I did then, however I was listening to them compared to ohm-walsh, and klipsch and I actually prefered the 901's at the time
&nbsp;Has anyone ever heard a pair of 901's setup correctly? If so, what were your thoughts on how they sounded?</font>

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Yes,I have. They were suspended from the ceiling by little chains.I was told that was a recommended setup.That was about 25 years ago &amp; I thought they sounded great until I heard a system featuring Klipsch Cornwalls. I knew very little about stereo back then(teenager) &amp; I'm sure the WOW! factor had much to do with it. The bass from the Cornwalls rattled the windows,which I'd never seen before.</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#8D38C9'>Years ago I had a buddy that owned some 901s. &nbsp;Man, he really thought they were the cats' PJs. &nbsp;Then he came over to listen to my rig (some Monitor Audio's)- I thought he was gonna cry. &nbsp;The next week he bought himself a pair of Monitor Audio speakers, too. &nbsp;He still has 'em and is very happy with them.

The 901's are now making music in his garage/woodshop.</font>

J

JAB

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Many years ago, Consumer Reports tested the Bose 901's and gave them a negative report, which resulted in a lawsuit by Mr. Amar Bose himself. From then on in the audiophile community, the company was known as &quot; I'm Amar Bose, and I will sue you if you don't like my speakers&quot; Company.

In their days the 901's were a radical design compared to other speakers. I believe they were the first speakers to attempt to use the wall and corners behind them (sort of an early dipole) to add room ambiance to the sound. unfortunatey, the results were not good. If I remember they correctly, used eight 4&quot; speakers in an angled enclosure firing at the backwall and one 4&quot; speaker in the middle of the front baffle firing forward. Because this speaker array was very hard to drive with an uneven frequency response, an equalizer was provided with the speakers to attempt to straighten things out. Needless to say, the audiophile community was appalled by the Bose attempt to use the room walls to add ambiance (coloration) to the sound. All this sound bouncing around messed everything up going through them, completely obilterating any well engineered recordings.

Times sure have changed ,eh!!, with YPAO etc. trying to adjust speakers to eliminate room sound from the listening equation.

So if you have 901's in the garage, leave them there. If you have a boat, use 'em as anchors!! Unfortunately, their current line of speakers are to small to use as boat anchors individually. You will have to put them in a sack first.

Al</font>

J

JAB

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Sorry, had a bad grammar attack. &quot;If I remember correctly, they etc.&quot;</font>

A. Vivaldi

A. Vivaldi

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>A while back I was visiting a pawn shop and struck up a conversation with one of the buyers. He complained to me that he had a bunch of bose cube/sub combos that just sat and sat and sat... He couldn't get rid of them! I wonder why?
</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis