Bowers & Wilkins CWM 7.4 S2 vs Revel W893

B

Bones81

Audiophyte
Hi Everyone,

I recently had Audio Advice design a home theater for me and they gave me two different proposals for the speakers. One uses the Bowers and Wilkins CWM 7.4 S2 for the RCLs, the CWM 663 for the surrounds, and the CCM 684 for the Atmos ceiling speakers. The other proposal uses the Revel W893 for the RCLs, the W553L for the surrounds, and the C383 for the ceiling. The subs will be two SVS PB-3000s. Initially I'm going for a 7.2.4 setup which I may upgrade to 9.2.4 by adding rear surrounds at some point down the road.

A bit of background on the theater. I'm planning on going with a Stewart 158" 2.40:1 - StudioTek 130 G4 MicroPerf screen with the RCLs positioned behind it. As far as use, it will probably be 50/50 between TV/sports and movies. I've attached the designs audio advice sent me. Given these are in wall/ceiling speakers, I can't really demo them before I order. I've done as much research as I can on the speakers but haven't found much. I did find this YouTube review by Erin's Audio Corner which covered the Revel's and they had favorable marks:

I wanted to see if anyone had used these speakers before and what they're thoughts on them were. Happy to provide any other details or answer any questions you may have.

Thanks!

Attachments

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I have B&W CWM 7.3's in my theater. Use the CCM 682's for Atmos speakers. Movies and music sound really good. They are great quality speakers. Plenty of choices in the $1500-$2k per speaker price range. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Focal, Revel, KEF or B&W. They're all very high quality made products. Each having their own distinct sound. Since they use different tweeters. If you have a Best Buy near you that has both KEF and B&W, I would try and get a demo.

B

Bones81

Audiophyte
I have B&W CWM 7.3's in my theater. Use the CCM 682's for Atmos speakers. Movies and music sound really good. They are great quality speakers. Plenty of choices in the $1500-$2k per speaker price range. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Focal, Revel, KEF or B&W. They're all very high quality made products. Each having their own distinct sound. Since they use different tweeters. If you have a Best Buy near you that has both KEF and B&W, I would try and get a demo.
Thanks Movie, much appreciated!

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Erin reviewed the LCRs and others for an inwall shootout, Fyi. His website has all the raw data and here is the video discussion of them

B

Bones81

Audiophyte
Erin reviewed the LCRs and others for an inwall shootout, Fyi. His website has all the raw data and here is the video discussion of them

Yeah he did the 7.3s but not the 7.4s. He didn't rate the 7.3s too highly and that's a more expensive speaker, so that's what's giving me pause about the B&Ws. Meanwhile, the Revels did pretty good.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah he did the 7.3s but not the 7.4s. He didn't rate the 7.3s too highly and that's a more expensive speaker, so that's what's giving me pause about the B&Ws. Meanwhile, the Revels did pretty good.
I didn't even see that you had linked the review in your original post, lol. Out of the two I'd take the Revels and with the back box. Aside from those two, KEF, Focal and RBH would be high on my list to consider.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis