Bowers & Wilkins ASW300 sub vs RSL SPEEDWOOFER 10S MKII

C

cnymike

Audiophyte
HI all,

I've got a RSL SPEEDWOOFER 10S MKII on order but have an opportunity to get 2 - B&W ASW300 subs for about the same price as a single RSL 10S MKII.

It's tempting to get 2 subs for the price of 1 but hoping you can knock some sense into me. What do you think?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
HI all,

I've got a RSL SPEEDWOOFER 10S MKII on order but have an opportunity to get 2 - B&W ASW300 subs for about the same price as a single RSL 10S MKII.

It's tempting to get 2 subs for the price of 1 but hoping you can knock some sense into me. What do you think?
One RSL beats two of those B & W. B & W make pretty awful subs.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Dennis Miller said it best:
"Two of sh!t is sh!t... if the really wanted to fcuk you they'd offer 3!"
:cool:

There is a more pertinent question that can be asked about your usage and room size. ;) If you are trying to get low output for movies, the the RSL may be challenged... Same with being used in a very large room.
However, it is a very good and respected product that reviews well.

I have never heard a redeeming quality spoken or written about a B&W Sub.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
B&W certainly has the ability to make a good sub, they just don't have the will. The only sub I would be interested in from them is the DB1D, but for a reasonably sized dual 12", the Perlisten R212s will likely smoke that thing for around the same price. On the other hand, you could probably work a good deal for the DB1D if you sweet-talked the dealer.

C

cnymike

Audiophyte
The house we recently bought has a Control4 system in it. In the family room is a 7.1 speaker array (minus the sub). I'ts a pretty large room 30'x20' with vaulted ceiling 12-16' height. But the constraining factor is how much I can afford to spend on a subwoofer. I can afford $500 which I realize isn't much. The RSL was on my short list of subs to consider. The B&W's seemed like good deal. So I appreciate the advice against getting the B&W's.

Would you have any other suggestions other than the RSL's? We don't watch many movies, but do listen to a lot of music and watch a lot of streaming TV shows and sports.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, wouldn't bother with B&W subs, and pretty much any 8" sub would not be a consideration for me. $500 a few years ago is more like $700 now....the RSL Speedwoofer best option for the price I can think of. Maybe DIY could be an option if you don't mind donating your time to save on material costs....

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The house we recently bought has a Control4 system in it. In the family room is a 7.1 speaker array (minus the sub). I'ts a pretty large room 30'x20' with vaulted ceiling 12-16' height. But the constraining factor is how much I can afford to spend on a subwoofer. I can afford $500 which I realize isn't much. The RSL was on my short list of subs to consider. The B&W's seemed like good deal. So I appreciate the advice against getting the B&W's.

Would you have any other suggestions other than the RSL's? We don't watch many movies, but do listen to a lot of music and watch a lot of streaming TV shows and sports.
With your listening habits the RSL is perfect. Even better for the price you can add multiples of RSL down the road if you want more output for a fraction of the price of a lot of other sub manufacturers.

If you were a big movie buff I'd maybe think different but music TV shows and sports RSL is the best option for the buck

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis