Bowers Wilkins 685 VS Mordaunt Short Avant 902i

D

dafirst

Junior Audioholic
The days of my entry into the separate home theater. I started researching about speakers and didn't know which to get. Got my new Emotiva UPA 500 (80watts channel) and a Rotel 1068 with Sony Ep9es. I saw the Mordaunt Short 902i on Ebay and the looks attracted me. I was the only one that bid on it and got it very cheap for $70 + shipping with Bic 12 sub. As time went my quest for better components didn't make me stop researching and reading reviews. Bowers Wilkins was all over the place. It was a dream to own one. Luckily, someone listed one on craigslist within my budget. His embellishment drove me to go to queens fron the Bronx to purchase it. To make long story short, I wasn't impressed with the Bowers and wilkins. I connected both speakers one on the left and the other on the right. I changed the preamps as well. Lo and behold, Mordaunt Short was way better than the Bowers and Wilkins. I kept them for a Month to give the B&W time to break in but still wasn't a match for the 902i. I finally made my decision and sold the B&W on Ebay and made a little profit. I wondered how come Mordaunt Short is unheard of. You barely see those speakers not to talk of reviews. Even though they are both British speakers. Marketing and branding are one important aspect in selling. Like many folks here say, if one can get a chance to Demo, it's better than people's review but unfortunately, not all of us can get the chance to. Reviews also do help. Even though I am not using the speakers anymore, as I have upgraded to a whole new level of speakers, I will keep those babies forever. Their looks too are amazing. I have lots of compliments from friends especially women who are not so much into these kind of audio.

Attachments

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Mordaunt Short are primarily overseas being British, and not common in the US. I sold my 902s many years ago, but I really enjoyed them.

D

dafirst

Junior Audioholic
Mordaunt Short are primarily overseas being British, and not common in the US. I sold my 902s many years ago, but I really enjoyed them.
Garcia what's your take on the speakers. As I know it's subjective. Did you by chance got to par them with any other speakers in the same size?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I had them for a few years. For an aluminum tweeter, they were not overly bright and the midrange though a bit metallic, was very detailed and smooth. Decent bass for their rather small size. Nothing else in the price range is as well built or as nice looking, though the veneers could be better. Veneer looks good from far away, but not close up, though that's minor compared to how they sound and I was never disappointed with them. I'd say they sound similar to NHT, maybe Monitor Audio. I've compared them to a lot of speakers. Only sold them because I bought my GR A/V-1s that were custom built by a friend. The A/V-1s are much nicer but are also more expensive.

Accessories For less still sells them new AFAIK.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Audio Partnership owns Cambridge Audio and Mordaunt Short.

They are mainly going by the Cambridge name in the USA now.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis