Bought a new sub on boxing day.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Actually, it was christmas day.

I was browsing the futureshop website looking at the boxing day deals. I looked a subwoofers and saw the Velodyne DSP-12B for $499.

Later that night after getting back from dinner, it was $399. $200 off from the origonal price. I said to myself, I'll grab one nice and early tomorrow and be done with it. Won't need a bigger sub for awhile (I'd like to go bigger, but this spending is making me broke ;)). Then I looked at the fine print, "sale ends 12/25/2005" :eek: :eek: This was 11:00PM, so I was forced to order online (free shipping though :D ) and my parents agreed because they get airmiles points with mastercard :rolleyes:

It should arive in a couple days, maybe wed or thurs.

Once I have it, I will write a shoot out rewiew between it and the Athena AS-P400, but focus more on the Velo as the Athena already has a review.

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Ok, The DSP-12 has arrived!

Just from my brief listening its quite powerful.

I have only watched the incredibles on it so far, and I liked what I was hearing. Review won't start for a bit as I am going to go much more in depth with this one compared to the Athena review.

I got some pics for you guys to chew on while I write the review. I took all the subwoofers I own and put them together for a shot. I need help.

SheepStar

Attachments

Last edited:
R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
Congrats Sheep...good looking sub isn't it.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
Sheep said:
Ok, The DSP-12 has arrived!

Just from my brief listening its quite powerful.

I have only watched the incredibles on it so far, and I liked what I was hearing. Review won't start for a bit as I am going to go much more in depth with this one compared to the Athena review.

I got some pics for you guys to chew on while I write the review. I took all the subwoofers I own and put them together for a shot. I need help.

SheepStar
What are each of those sheep?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Congrats Sheep...good looking sub isn't it.
Yes very. I need to go get cleaner to keep finger prints off it.

MacManNM said:
What are each of those sheep?
Top left: Logitech Z2200 subwoofer (8inch 240W, ported to left side).

Bottom left: Athena AS-P400 (front ported 400W, 10inch cone).

Middle: Velodyne DPS-12 (Front slot ported, 400W 12inch cone).

Top right: Energy E:xl-S8 (rear ported 400W 8inch cone).

Bottom right: Pro-Linear Bass Cube 10 (Sealed, 250WRMS[4ohm] 10inch long throw cone)[Broken right now].

SheepStar

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
Sheep said:
Yes very. I need to go get cleaner to keep finger prints off it.

Top left: Logitech Z2200 subwoofer (8inch 240W, ported to left side).

Bottom left: Athena AS-P400 (front ported 400W, 10inch cone).

Middle: Velodyne DPS-12 (Front slot ported, 400W 12inch cone).

Top right: Energy E:xl-S8 (rear ported 400W 8inch cone).

Bottom right: Pro-Linear Bass Cube 10 (Sealed, 250WRMS[4ohm] 10inch long throw cone)[Broken right now].

SheepStar
What is wrong with the Pro-linear? Looks like it would be a good music sub.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
MacManNM said:
What is wrong with the Pro-linear? Looks like it would be a good music sub.
Its complicated.

You would think its a good music sub, but it has a very cheap, crappy driver. Its actually the boomiest sub out of the 5. This is why I don't support the stereotype sealed = Clean. Sealed subs need to have decent components to work well.

Its stated response was 17-180Hz. So I tested. The voice coil got so hot from the FR sweeps that it literally melted.

I can get a replacement driver for it, but I can't push it to far.

SheepStar

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
Sheep said:
Its complicated.

You would think its a good music sub, but it has a very cheap, crappy driver. Its actually the boomiest sub out of the 5. This is why I don't support the stereotype sealed = Clean. Sealed subs need to have decent components to work well.

Its stated response was 17-180Hz. So I tested. The voice coil got so hot from the FR sweeps that it literally melted.

I can get a replacement driver for it, but I can't push it to far.

SheepStar
Well the box size looks about right for a dayton Titanic driver. is the cabinet decent?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
MacManNM said:
Well the box size looks about right for a dayton Titanic driver. is the cabinet decent?
I don't know the dimensions of the titanic driver.

The driver that goes in it can't be any larger then 10-3/8s inches.

I think the cutout is 9-1/8s inches. And theres only about 7 inches or so space deep. Its only an 11-3/4inch cube. It has a dayton Amp on it. Its the SA240 plate amp from PE, cept this one has a 6dB 30hz booster switch.

Me and WmAx have been looking at drivers for this box and amp, but the only way to get it to work well and have output below 30Hz would require using a passive radiator. I, lacking the skills to cut things (other then myself) would fail miserably chopping this up.

The cabinet is 3/4inch MDF with corner bracing where every side meets.

I would love to get this sub going again, but I just don't think I have the time or money to do it properly.

SheepStar

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis