both mains on at once ?

G

GIOHT

Audiophyte
if i play both a and b channel at once will that hurt my receiver ? i have a pair of sapphire sts and yamaha n-777 towers with a yamaha htr500 series reciever . would that be to much juice or would it be ok? :confused:

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
It shouldn't be, since your receiver was designed to take both a and b speaker set ups.

S

scarecrow

Audioholic Intern
I'd say just don't push it loud it stresses the amp a lot to have to do that, I used to do that but I had a weak link in one of my mids. It's really not recommended, I'd say just low level is best. It's a way to hurt rcvrs and spkrs but if the optn is avlbl then they can handle it but you put a heavy load on them and that at semi loud vols could lead to clipping distortion, etc, which is never good. I never realized it. I'd say only do it at low volumes. Depends also on speakers, they must be at least8 ohm. I would say only do it at very low volumes and if you can not do it at all it's better, thats one of the most common ways to harm unit, but I'd say u could use judgement and maybe take it easy on the bass and vol. I don't know too much but good luck, there's a lot of threads talking about this spkr/ amp impendance measured in ohms, once you have that down it's okay. Um that's what we don't want is to use these things past their limit, it'll distort and cause damage a lot easier...a lot easier, just be really nice to it when you use a+b. Not sure about strength of that rcvr but even heard lots of people saying not to use a+b on thousand dollar units. Hope you find your answers.

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
GIOHT said:
if i play both a and b channel at once will that hurt my receiver ? i have a pair of sapphire sts and yamaha n-777 towers with a yamaha htr500 series reciever . would that be to much juice or would it be ok? :confused:
You should be fine running both, provided your receiver is made to run both at the same time. :D If it is...there should not be a problem. You just need to check the Ohm settings on the receiver, there should be a little switch on the back that allows you to select the proper combination for your speaker set up. Also are you using both sets in the same room? If so...why?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis