Bose Wave Radio to Bose 151 Speakers

J

Jsbesq

I want to run cable from my Bose wave cd/radio to Bose 151 SE Outdoor speakers. The Bose Radio has only two auxillary outs (are these RCA plugs?) - I presume 1 right and 1 left. The speakers each take two wires - not the same plug. Is this doable?

Thanks

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
First of all, let me commend your courageousness. If you have surfed through many of the forums and threads contained herein at Audioholics, you will know how the vast majority of members feel about Booze products. Myself included. My gripe is mostly with their speakers and the prices they charge and not provide a quailty product comensurate with that price, spring loaded speaker clips are just a starting point. :eek:

Be that as it may, to answer your question, yes indeed, the aux outs on the flotsam you speak of are RCA jacks. Your problem, though is not just connecting this cable to the speakers you have. The aux out is a line level signal, not a speaker level output. This output is designed to go into a tape deck or amplifier or self powered speaker. The 151s you have are not self powered (no amplifier), therefore you will need a seperate amp.

You can find a PA style amp cheap, or monitor amp on ebay or ZZounds, Same Day Music, etc.. Probably about $150 - $200. You can also find powered outdoor speakers for about the same price or less.

If you still want to do this, I recommend the buying the amp, (will also recommend the Alesis RA150- 45 watts/channel, Class AB, high signal ratio, low THD, etc.., and about $150 after a thorough search) it will have more and better future uses as you upgrade (as you most likely will) from Barf - I mean booze- er bose. For outdoor speakers, you do not need an audiophile type amp such as those you read about here, a PA or studio monitor style (the Alesis is a studio monitor amp) amp will work just fine.

If you want to real cheap get a three piece set of computer speakers and use the subs output to drive your 151s.

J

Jsbesq

Follow Up

Thanks Mudcat. I havent bought the speakers yet - was just leaning in that direction. I have a primary system hooked to my tv -- this bose radio sits in my kitchen and it would be playing the same music I would want to be played on my deck. So I could do the powered speakers of another brand. Any recommendations? I am not looking to spend the world, I simply want a decent outdoor speaker. But I am not looking for the sheapest on the market either.

Thanks.

Jeff

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
Just google it and decide what you want to spend. You'll probable have to get a subwoofer that looks like a bad rock though. Just imagine sitting out on your deck with your friends or enemas, having a cold one, and having to listen to a rock thump away. There are probably combo units that start around $70. But you raise another question. Did you buy the wave radio or (I so dearly hope) was it a gift. I mean the wave radio/CD is $500 (they still call it a radio, radios are suppose to fit in your pocket and be powered by a nine volt battery - is that a radio in your pocket, or are you just happy to see your bose?), the 151s you want are about $250. For that you could buy something real decent that people will not laugh about. (And you would not have to put up with my sarcasm.) :p

Hey, I went through this with my dad. I did get him to return it and I was elated. Until I found out he bought a sony HT in a box for less than he paid for the wave radio (a step down from the wave radio IMHO).

J

jsbesq

sarcasm

I enjoy good sarcasm. I also, I must admit, love my bose radio. The one at home was a gift - and I have a second at my office. I am not much of an expert, as this may tell you, but my bose sounds better than any sony I have ever listened to (though yes it costs substantially more), and I couldn't pick out the top brands if you asked me - hence I resort to the bose speakers. But I haven't bought them yet, so I will look around. Thanks for all of your advice.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis