Bose cubes with a non-BOSE subwoofer?

E

elit

Audiophyte
Does anybody know if its possible / or what is the best way of using the small cube speakers of bose ,but with a non-bose subwoofer ?

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
This is not a very good idea. The Bose cubes are too small to produce some of the lower midrange octaves and their "subs" are designed to make up for much of this. However, not even their bass modules can play as high as needed and there is a bit of a gap between the cubes and the "sub." No other brands subwoofers are designed to play to the frequencies that the Bose subs are, because it drastically hurts the sound.

R

Rÿche 1

Audioholic
elit said:
Does anybody know if its possible / or what is the best way of using the small cube speakers of bose ,but with a non-bose subwoofer ?
No offense, but you'd be alot happier with pretty much any other speaker besides Bose.

In response to your question, I have no idea how to incorporate a non-Bose sub with Bose cubes.

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
elit said:
Those BOSE satellite cubes are said to sound no lower than 300hz. Am not so sure if that is their -3db point. But if you can find a COUPLE of subwoofers that can go upwards to 300hz, -3db, then you stand a good chance of not experiencing that "hole" in the response spectra that many complain of about such speakers. I said a COUPLE, as you would need two subs for L and R channels to take care of directional bass that are mostly above 100hz. But, one will do if you couldn't care less about directional bass.

OTH, I read some reviews that BOSE subs tend to deliver those low-mid frequencies well. So that an entire movie can actually be understood with just the Bose subwoofer and nothing else. :D

U

Unregistered

keep away from B_O_S_E

From my personal experience, B_O_S_E speakers are JUNK! at lease they are junk for the money. They are 'legit' scam, simply put!

For lower budget speakers, try PSB, B&W, or Paradgm.
For high budget speakers, try Dynaudio, Wilson, ...

Abe

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

If you have the cubes, then it's worth a shot. You may as well try to make some lemonade if you already have the lemons! ;) As AV_Phile says, the problem with asking a subwoofer to play that high is that 1) you get localization from the bass module & 2) most subs won't play accurately that high.

On the other hand, if this is just a hypothetical question, you really should look at some other brands. You'll get better results looking for satellites that can be x-over'd a bit lower, say, 80-100 hz. The lower the better. It's usually a tradeoff, size for bass. All else being equal, a larger speaker will play lower & louder.

U

Unregistered

It can be done

Actually, my friend John had the same issue and succesfully pulled it off. He purchased a M&K sub to augment his Bose speakers which were running off a Denon AVR (old model, pre-DTS). I'm not 100% on how he did it but I THINK he ran the juice first to the M&K to take care of the LFE channel. Then he ran the juice (serially) to the acoustimass bass module and then ran the rest to the cubes (which is what I think Bose does anyway). At each stage, lows were bled off, leaving only mids & highs to go on to the next stage.

If the foregoing doesn't make any sense, then I'm sorry. I didn't see him do it, but I heard the results -- the sound improved dramatically!

D

dreadstar

Audioholic Intern
elit said:

If you keep the midbass module on the bose and pick up a speaker level subwoofer. (the acoustimas bass module does not produce subwoofer bass for crap.) take your speaker out on your receiver and run them to the new sub. then the high lvl outs to the acoustimas bass module hook the sats up normal.

that will allow you to get real bass out of the setup. but my recomendation is toss the bose and go buy a decent pair of bookself or stand alone speakers and a good sub. You will never get good audio out of any of that line of bose. to small to cheaply made.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis