Bose Cubes as Rear Surrounds

T

TouChe00

Audiophyte
I want to make some changes for my home theater. I popped a grill off my center and starting thinking its time to upgrade.
Center.jpg

I currently run:
Onkyo TX NR656 (Brand New)
Infinty 12 inch BU2 Subwoofer (20 Years Old)
Acoustic Research 206 HO Front Right and Left (20 Years Old)
Klipsch Reference R-25c Center Channel (Arriving this Friday)
Klipsch 1650C Cieling Speakers ( 1 Month old Dolby Atmos Speakers)
Bose Single Cube Speakers on Back wall behind couch pointing at ear level (20 Years Old)

I love the Klipsch ceiling speakers and I am hoping the center sounds equally as good. Checked all other speakers and they are in good shape.
First Question:
Should I ditch the Bose and buy 2 Klipsch R 15M?
Second Question:
Should I ditch the AR front and left and replace with 2 Klipsch R15M?
Third Question:
Is the BU2 sub out of date and in need of replacing?

My room is 16 X 15 with 8 foot ceilings. I followed the Dolby Atmos diagram for all speaker placement.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I want to make some changes for my home theater. I popped a grill off my center and starting thinking its time to upgrade. View attachment 25695
I currently run:
Onkyo TX NR656 (Brand New)
Infinty 12 inch BU2 Subwoofer (20 Years Old)
Acoustic Research 206 HO Front Right and Left (20 Years Old)
Klipsch Reference R-25c Center Channel (Arriving this Friday)
Klipsch 1650C Cieling Speakers ( 1 Month old Dolby Atmos Speakers)
Bose Single Cube Speakers on Back wall behind couch pointing at ear level (20 Years Old)

I love the Klipsch ceiling speakers and I am hoping the center sounds equally as good. Checked all other speakers and they are in good shape.
First Question:
Should I ditch the Bose and buy 2 Klipsch R 15M?
Second Question:
Should I ditch the AR front and left and replace with 2 Klipsch R15M?
Third Question:
Is the BU2 sub out of date and in need of replacing?

My room is 16 X 15 with 8 foot ceilings. I followed the Dolby Atmos diagram for all speaker placement.
The very short answer to all of you questions (IMO) is if you have enough of a budget, yes. Having speakers tonally matched is helpful with smooth panning around the room, and IMO worth it. Some will say just let RC sort it out but I do not subscribe to the lowest common denominator ideal.
That sub, while probably decent enough in its day, is way behind. Newer models will be smoother in general and have much better extension(play deeper).

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The Bose cubes do not have much frequency below 200 hz -- so yes I would replace them

I would move the AR 2060 to surrounds .... and put some Klipsch speakers up front

There are some real nice subs on the market .... if you are not happy with the Infinity sub, then replace it

T

TouChe00

Audiophyte
Thank you for your quick responses. I was fine until I invited a buddy to come over to show off my atmos setup, he was impressed then he asked if he could test some new speakers he just bought ,all Reference Premiere Klipsch and the top end of the premiere series. He had them in his SUV so I said bring them in. I was blown away and the sound was easily a thirty percent improvement but I chalk up some of the improvement to my well worn center. :0). I think with your inputs I will go ahead and replace all the speakers and then the sub next month. One last question:
Should I match the Klipsch speakers with a Klipsch sub?
Once again thank you.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Or
Rythmik, and SVS. RSL’s speedwoofer is a good budget choice and you can get a pair for 800 bucks. They have a big boy sub coming soon too. You can talk directly to joe Rodgers about that.
Of course as Z mentioned, HSU is also a great choice.
Subs don’t need to match speakers the same way speakers should match speakers. I also would personally Not Buy a klipsch sub. While they do have a couple decent options higher in their line, IMO you’ll get much better value and performance from one of the ID companies.

T

TouChe00

Audiophyte
I finally got all the Klipsch speakers installed and I am really enjoying the Dolby Atmos. Next step save up to replace the the Infinity BU2 with an SVS PB 2000. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis