Boosting Sky Q WiFi signals within flat

N

Nostromo

Junior Audioholic
Hi all. I am installing a Sky Q system with a 2TB main box and 3 minis in the duplex flat into which we are moving in 6 weeks. I am getting a Sky Broadband with boost package at the same time. I am looking for ways to optimising the WiFi signals between the main Sky Q box and its 3 mini boxes and need advice.

I have been told to plug the router through a Powerline Adapter and also to run Cat 6 LAN cables from the router to the TV, Sky main box, BD player and the powerline adapter itself. What I don't understand is whether this powerline adapter replaces the Sky Q network extender or is a separate entity.

Also, is there some way by which I can enhance the WiFi signal receiving ability of the 3 mini boxes, which will be in other rooms?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi all. I am installing a Sky Q system with a 2TB main box and 3 minis in the duplex flat into which we are moving in 6 weeks. I am getting a Sky Broadband with boost package at the same time. I am looking for ways to optimising the WiFi signals between the main Sky Q box and its 3 mini boxes and need advice.

I have been told to plug the router through a Powerline Adapter and also to run Cat 6 LAN cables from the router to the TV, Sky main box, BD player and the powerline adapter itself. What I don't understand is whether this powerline adapter replaces the Sky Q network extender or is a separate entity.

Also, is there some way by which I can enhance the WiFi signal receiving ability of the 3 mini boxes, which will be in other rooms?
Connecting Internet to power lines with a power line adapter is a risky and hazardous business. My advice is DON'T do it.

The best connections are Ethernet Cat 5e or Cat 6 cables with an Ethernet hub.

Failing that you need a good wireless system or a combination.

The best I know is the Netgear Orbi Mesh system. This allows as many units as you need to give good even coverage throughout your living space.

I have put one in my brother's house in the UK in a big old Georgian farmhouse, and got even coverage.

I put the system in my former 4,500 sq ft lake home and let it for the new owners. Before Mesh systems you could not get even coverage throughout the house. I have one in our new 4,800 sq. ft home and have even coverage throughout the home. Every part has full signal strength and the same with the others.

That is is way to go for wireless. Google have a mesh system also, but I think the Netgear is best. They are very stable and I have not had to do any reboots, which is remarkable.

N

Nostromo

Junior Audioholic
Thanks TLS Guy. But if I get the netgear kit - something like

How and where do I connect it? My knowledge of these things is limited and you'll have to explain to me PLEASE in detail.

The Main 2TB box will be in the lounge with the router alongside. The two bedrooms and the loft room upstairs (duplex flat) will have one each of the 3 mini-boxes.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
If you cant do hard wired, mesh is the best option. Just installed one in mother in laws 3 story house and it works flawlessly for what it is. Pulling fast pings, 100+ mb downloads and minimal packet loss. Always hard wire if possible...

N

Nostromo

Junior Audioholic
If you cant do hard wired, mesh is the best option. JPulling fast pings, 100+ mb downloads and minimal packet loss. Always hard wire if possible...
When you say "hard-wired" how do you mean? I can link the router to the Sky box, TV, BD player etc through Cat6 LAN cables because the router will be in the lounge with the main box. But the mini boxes will be in other rooms and there is no way they can be connected to the router by cable. I have to think of ways to maximise the WiFi signal.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
When you say "hard-wired" how do you mean? I can link the router to the Sky box, TV, BD player etc through Cat6 LAN cables because the router will be in the lounge with the main box. But the mini boxes will be in other rooms and there is no way they can be connected to the router by cable. I have to think of ways to maximise the WiFi signal.
Then the Mesh Network is the way to go for the other units.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks TLS Guy. But if I get the netgear kit - something like

How and where do I connect it? My knowledge of these things is limited and you'll have to explain to me PLEASE in detail.

The Main 2TB box will be in the lounge with the router alongside. The two bedrooms and the loft room upstairs (duplex flat) will have one each of the 3 mini-boxes.
Yes, that is what you need.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis