Bookshelf speakers on a computer desk? Hmm.

M

Motrek

Junior Audioholic
I'm thinking about buying a pair of bookshelf speakers to upgrade my computer's audio, but I'm reluctant to pull the trigger.

I have limited desk space and a big (27") monitor that I keep relatively close for comfortable viewing.

I would basically have to put the speakers behind the monitor. I would probably only be able to see the outside 25% of the front faces of the speakers. I would definitely not have line-of-sight to the tweeters. How bad would this be, acoustically?

The speakers would also be on the desk, and I'm worried about reflections off the surface of the desk and other things on the desk, like my printer.

Also I'm worried that most bookshelf speakers are probably not designed for near-field use and I'm not sure a woofer-tweeter combination would be that great for arm's length distance.

Right now I have a pair of $30 Logitech computer speakers that are small and simple and they aren't bad, but they're not anything I'm excited about listening to.

I'm worried that I might spend a few hundred dollars on speakers and an amp and end up with a setup that's much bigger and less convenient and still not something I want to listen to.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Can you post a picture of what you are talking about?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Instead of speakers that weren’t designed for nearfield use, and require a separate amp that takes up a lot of space, just get something designed for desktop.

http://www.chanemusiccinema.com/swan-multimedia/M200MkII

If you have bucks to spare, you might move up to the MKIII. On the other hand, if the MKII is to rich for your blood, do a Saved Search on ebay for the original M200. They don’t come up often, but when one does you should be able to get the pair for $100 or so. I’ve been using the M200 for a number of years now, and it’s an excellent speaker. A search online will get you no shortage of reviews.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I don't see anything wrong with bookshelf speakers on a desk as long as you've got the room.

I do agree with BSA's recommendation of the JBL LSR305s though. They'll probably sound better than a lot of other speakers and they're more convenient than passive speakers and separate amplification imo. I'd like to buy a pair one of these days.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
For your need I would look for pair of these speakers: www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000Q6EHA2 really good pair for 300$ and works well for near field listening, and you dont need amp to go with them. But I would not recommend putting them behind anything..

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Putting speakers behind the monitor is like going to a concert and wearing earmuffs.

On either side, yes. Above, yes. Behind, no.

M

Motrek

Junior Audioholic
Can you post a picture of what you are talking about?
I wouldn't say I'm a privacy nut but I'd rather not post a picture of my personal space to show something that I should be able to describe fairly easily.

Imagine a 27" 16:9 computer monitor roughly arm's length away, taking up about 70 horizontal degrees of my view.

My monitor blocks my view of the back corners of my desk, so even though I do have a pretty significant amount of empty desk space behind the vertical plane of my monitor, I can't see anything back there.

It seems people agree that acoustically this is pretty bad. I will continue to use my $30 Logitech speakers and if I want to listen to music I guess I'll just go to the trouble of turning on my stereo.

Thanks for the input, everybody! I think you've saved me a significant amount of money and trouble. :)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I wouldn't say I'm a privacy nut but I'd rather not post a picture of my personal space to show something that I should be able to describe fairly easily.
I have a problem with that, in fact two of them.
A) Ever heard expression : A picture worth 1000 words? Your fairly accurate decription is near useless since you didn't even mention basic things like is your pc desk is in corner (which I suspect it is)
It reminds of old joke:
A helicopter was flying around above Seattle when an electrical malfunction disabled all of the aircraft's electronic navigation and communications qquipment. Due to the clouds and haze, the pilot could not determine the helicopter's position and course to fly to the airport. The pilot saw a tall building, flew toward it, circled, drew a handwritten sign, and held it in the helicopter's window. The pilot's sign said "WHERE AM I?" in large letters. People in the tall building quickly responded to the aircraft, drew a large sign and held it in a building window. Their sign read: "YOU ARE IN A HELICOPTER." The pilot smiled, waved, looked at her map, determined the course to steer to SEATAC airport, and landed safely. After they were on the ground, the co-pilot asked the pilot how the "YOU ARE IN A HELICOPTER" sign helped determine their position. The pilot responded "I knew that had to be the Microsoft building because, like their technical support, online help and product documentation, the response they gave me was technically correct, but completely useless."
b) Posting a picture of a monitor on the desk seems like fairly innocent thing to do, unless you are ashamed of something.
Ars Technica editors didn't see that as an issue and have done it (atleast) twice:
http://arstechnica.com/staff/2012/08/ars-staffers-exposed-our-home-office-setups/
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/11/where-and-how-do-ars-staffers-work-our-computers-let-us-show-you-them/

M

Motrek

Junior Audioholic
A) Ever heard expression : A picture worth 1000 words? Your fairly accurate decription is near useless since you didn't even mention basic things like is your pc desk is in corner (which I suspect it is)
It isn't, but how could that possibly be relevant?

Everybody seems to agree that putting speakers behind a monitor is bad. I don't really need to know how much worse they would sound if they were in a corner, too.

b) Posting a picture of a monitor on the desk seems like fairly innocent thing to do, unless you are ashamed of something.
Ars Technica editors didn't see that as an issue and have done it (atleast) twice: ...
The problem is that any picture of my living space contains personally identifiable information.

This concern is irrelevant to the Ars Technica people because their names are published right next to their pictures.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
The problem is that any picture of my living space contains personally identifiable information.
Really? What could anyone possibly read from the distance a picture would be taken? Sorry, we weren't aware you're in the witness protection program.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Really? What could anyone possibly read from the distance a picture would be taken? Sorry, we weren't aware you're in the witness protection program.
fact 1) Motrek , is also a name of Mexican engineering company ....
fact 2) Recent El Chapo escape was likely to be designed by civil engineers
fact 3) Op named Motrek is trying hard to obscure his identity and location

Coincidence?

M

Motrek

Junior Audioholic
fact 1) Motrek , is also a name of Mexican engineering company ....
fact 2) Recent El Chapo escape was likely to be designed by civil engineers
fact 3) Op named Motrek is trying hard to obscure his identity and location

Coincidence?
My anonymity on this forum isn't super important to me, but as long as I have it, I might as well keep it, right? Or at least not give it away for almost no reason.

I make a piece of software that has been downloaded by millions of people. My work space is covered with stuff to do with the software, e.g., proofs of print ads for it, etc.

So I guess I could clear my desk of all this stuff and take a picture so you guys can see... what? That the only desk space I have for bookshelf speakers is behind my monitor and I wasn't lying?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, I get it - you have a small width desk which only can fit a single 27" monitor.
Yes, speakers behind wont work no matter what.
I don't want to know who you are. Really.
Don't reveal us your secret identity Mr Kent :)

BUT

As a software engineer (for a software millions use) Imho you should be to afford pair of speakers stands and pro monitors :)
Honestly my post was attempt at humor (ok more of sarcastic one) which was received accordingly.

If you want to tell us that despite that software used by millions you did not monetize it any way (directly or indirectly) then yeahh .... I feel for you, honestly. Most people would ether sell it or at least build on their success and move to next stage aka working for one of big software companies, like Google for example...

You may be the most recognizable software developer 'round here, but hardly the first one :)

M

Motrek

Junior Audioholic
As a software engineer (for a software millions use) Imho you should be to afford pair of speakers stands and pro monitors :)
No worries, I do monetize my software and make a living. As I'm sure you know, millions of downloads doesn't necessarily equate to millions of dollars though. :)

I can definitely afford nice new speakers and speaker stands and everything. But that's way past my level of commitment to computer audio. I just wanted to know if putting bookshelf speakers on my desk (behind my monitor) was a worthwhile upgrade and it sounds like it isn't. So if I want hi-fi sound I will use my nice new-ish Ascends that are connected to my TV instead.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
No worries, I do monetize my software and make a living. As I'm sure you know, millions of downloads doesn't necessarily equate to millions of dollars though. :)

I can definitely afford nice new speakers and speaker stands and everything. But that's way past my level of commitment to computer audio. I just wanted to know if putting bookshelf speakers on my desk (behind my monitor) was a worthwhile upgrade and it sounds like it isn't. So if I want hi-fi sound I will use my nice new-ish Ascends that are connected to my TV instead.
Kudos on Ascends, but since you spend considerable amount of time on a computer, small investment in good audio is worth it imo, as for what is "computer audio"? htpc is connected to my 5.1 system so is it too "computer audio" ? or my bedroom tv connected to Fire TV Stick - which is essentially a smartphone or Arm based computer - is that "computer audio" as well?

Everything is computer audio :) ether xbox/ps4 or your cable box - you should know such things :)

That all said, I still prefer good headphones then I just to concentrate on my work :)
with your level of financial commitment to it (or more like lack of it :) you may find Senheiser HD201 a good bargain at (normally $22)
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Lightweight-Over-Ear-Binaural-Headphones/dp/B0007XJSQC

M

Motrek

Junior Audioholic
Kudos on Ascends, but since you spend considerable amount of time on a computer, small investment in good audio is worth it imo, as for what is "computer audio"? htpc is connected to my 5.1 system so is it too "computer audio" ? or my bedroom tv connected to Fire TV Stick - which is essentially a smartphone or Arm based computer - is that "computer audio" as well?

Everything is computer audio :) ether xbox/ps4 or your cable box - you should know such things :)

That all said, I still prefer good headphones then I just to concentrate on my work :)
with your level of financial commitment to it (or more like lack of it :) you may find Senheiser HD201 a good bargain at (normally $22)
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Lightweight-Over-Ear-Binaural-Headphones/dp/B0007XJSQC
Yes, of course. The only thing my TV, AV receiver, and Ascends are connected to is a small HTPC. So that is computer audio.

By computer audio in this thread, I meant, the sound system I have connected to my computer at the desk where I work.

And by commitment, I didn't mean financial commitment. That's my smallest concern. The problem is that I'm something of a minimalist and I hate "extra" furniture and clutter and things. So the last thing I want is more speaker stands in my apartment.

EDIT: I do have nice headphones (HiFiMan RE-400s -- if you haven't heard of them, check them out!) and I use them sometimes but of course they are less convenient than just having nice speakers.

R

riker1384

Junior Audioholic
The LSR305 are pretty damn big to put on a desk. 10 inches deep.

Maybe look for a pair of very small bookshelf speakers, like the Energy Take Classic 5.1 satellites. They're good quality, very small so you should be able to find a good place to put them, but have no bass so they will require a subwoofer.

Or 4-inch-woofer speakers such as the PSB Image B4, Imagine Mini or NHT Superzero.

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
I have bookshelf speakers (Boston Acoustics CS26) on my computer desk. I made stands from plywood and 2x4's. They are above my monitor and about 18" from where I sit. If you have room for speakers, you have room for stands; at least it seems that way to me. Peace and goodwill.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis