Bookshelf Speakers - BIC Venturi DV62si

D

DualClutch

Audioholic Intern
I am looking for a decent sounding pair of bookshelf speakers under $200. I have been reading some good reviews about the Venturi DV62si from BIC. After having to sell some bass shy Yamaha bookshelfs, I am looking to fill that void with a speaker that can output good low end (taking in consideration that this is a bookshelf speaker) and clean highs. In your opinions, how does this speaker compare to others in the price range in terms of full range sound (emphasis on the lower end of the frequency range)?

D

DualClutch

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the link Mazersteven, the price of these speakers are worth picking up just to have around, but I don't think I will go with these for my main units. Then again, all speakers deserve to be heard and evaluated.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks Mazer... Those look like great little speakers, and Im going to go buy a pair today, just to see how they sound... for $50, or free with my gift card.. :D

I'll report back later and let you know how I think they sound... I'll start a thread.. :)

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
The insignia's are not so hot.. Oh my Bloaty... No midrange whatsoever...
I'll be taking them back... Horrible IMO...

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
The insignia's are not so hot.. Oh my Bloaty... No midrange whatsoever...
I'll be taking them back... Horrible IMO...
Sorry you didn't like them.

I don't know how much difference it would make, but I have read where 8-10 hours of play on these speakers makes a difference. I would be interested to hear your impressions. Like let them play over night or something.

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
DualClutch,

Would it be possible to add a subwoofer to your existing system?

For $200 it would be possible to have a decent subwoofer that would provide extension far lower and cleaner than a bookshelf of the same price would be capable of.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja

I don't know how much difference it would make, but I have read where 8-10 hours of play on these speakers makes a difference. I would be interested to hear your impressions. Like let them play over night or something.
There is no reason for you to be sorry, that is what this hobby is all about, much like dating... Try them on to see how they fit..

I'll start another thread... Sorry to Original poster..

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord

That must be the time it takes for your ears to adjust to the sound. Speaker break-in in the terms audiophiles refer to it is a myth. It takes a matter of moments for a speaker to break-in and it is usually already broken in because the drivers where likely tested at the factory.

Having said that, I didn't find the sound of the Insignias to be bad for $50-$70, they are impressive given their price IMO, and they don't look bad doing it either. Doing some modifications to the cabinets should reduce the amount of boominess they exhibit.:)

I am also surprised no one recommended the Onix X-LS, even though after shipping they would exceed the budget.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
From what I understand. GR Research has already marketed crossover upgrade kit for them. About $95 bucks.

Last edited:
G

Gasman

Senior Audioholic
That must be the time it takes for your ears to adjust to the sound. Speaker break-in in the terms audiophiles refer to it is a myth.
Yeah, that is all Tomfoolery, marketing. Making a person think, well they are sounding better 'now that I have adjusted'.:p

I am pretty sure we had a huge thread on this here a few years ago...

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Replacing the insulation with I believe it's called Dynamat is a good idea. The insulation in the stock Insignia speaker is total fud.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
They definately need more balance to the midrange...

I could see where a new crossover could be beneficial here...

The woofer is overpowering and prominent down low, while it seems there isn't enough power going to the tweeter, and its not reaching as far down as it should.. creating a gap between the driver and tweeter.. hence the lack of mid detail.. to me.. but I have to switch these speakers over to my main system to confirm all this.. where I have a constant..

I have been testing them on a older receiver with a Ipod touch as the source material.. and I just bought the interface for my son and set this whole package up in his room this afternoon..

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I happen to be the only person that cooks in this house, and I am hungry.. :D

jinjuku

jinjuku

I am looking for a decent sounding pair of bookshelf speakers under $200. I have been reading some good reviews about the Venturi DV62si from BIC. After having to sell some bass shy Yamaha bookshelfs, I am looking to fill that void with a speaker that can output good low end (taking in consideration that this is a bookshelf speaker) and clean highs. In your opinions, how does this speaker compare to others in the price range in terms of full range sound (emphasis on the lower end of the frequency range)?
I have the DV62CLR/S (Dual 6.5 Two-way) doing center channel duty and am very happy with it. I would believe that for around a $100 for a pair of DV62si you will be quite pleased. You could even squeeze a parts express 8" sub into that $200 budget ($80) or the 10" for $105.

Also keep an eye on frys.com. They have killer deals on Polk all the time. I would most likely get the BIC or Polks before the BB Insignia.

A

auujay

Audioholic Intern
As you can see from my sig I run these along with the center channel. I am happy with them. They don't sound as good as other speakers (my Dad's Ascend CBM-170 or friend's Mackie HR-824). They have quite a bit a bass, which sounds like what you want. Some people say that it is a little boosted but I don't think you can tell unless you have another pair of speakers to compare with at the same time. Before I ran these in my home theater I used them with my 2.0 stereo setup powered by an AudioSource Amp One. I think they do a great job on there own, but obviously if you want that low frequency punch you still need a sub.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis