Bookshelf Speaker Suggestion

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
All I have family members' HT/Stereo I am putting together. Right now my options for front sound stage is going to be a pair of bookshelf speakers that will have to be put into a bookcase shelves on the side of a large entertainment center. The speakers will be about 10-12 feet apart and will have to lay on their side. Also the shelf is only about 10" deep. So I need a relatively shallow speaker that will still image well on a tight shelf. So not sure if that will push me toward a front port or sealed speaker. My budget is maximum $700 for the pair. I will not be using a center channel due to entertainment cabinet restrictions. I will be incorporating a sub with these in the price range of $500 dollars or so. So if can assist in the low end response. I want something that will be able to throw a large sound stage if possible wiht these restrictions. Thanks for the Help!!

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I am not sure how laying a speaker designed to be used vertically on its side will work?

Judging by what you have said so far I would start with ascend acoustic 200se HTM-200 SE Home Theater Monitor I have laid these on their size and they still sound really good if not better... Plus you can order them with the grill badges setup for horizontal placement so it doesnt look like you threw some bookshelfs on their sides and stuffed them in your case...
Good luck...

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Besides 10" depth, what are other size restrictions on height and width? Maybe a pair of smaller centers would do the trick

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
I do have room for centers on the shelves, probably about 2 1/2 feet wide on each shelf.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I do have room for centers on the shelves, probably about 2 1/2 feet wide on each shelf.
OK then:
Due to horizontal placement - I think MTM (or a variation of) is pretty much a must
HTM-200 is neat speaker, but CMT-340 center is better and still fits your budget

another option is NTH Absolute Center

And Denis's AAL center for only $100/ea is the cheapest, yet far from being bad option - just look at it's on-axis response!
Affordable Accuracy

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It is a given that in a cabinet you want sealed or front ported.

All speakers can be turned on their side. Yes they will image differently, but most will still work fine, and won't be much different than center speakers in that they are now throwing a more horizontal image and that honestly will be a lesser issue compared to putting them in a book case.

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
Cambridge Audio SX-50 $249 per pair. small speakers with great sound. Woofer: 1 x 135mm (5.25 inch) treated paper cone.
Tweeter: 1 x 25mm (1 inch) silk dome tweeter.
Recommended amplifier power: 10-100 Watts.
Dimensions (W x H x D): 225 x 161 x 240mm (8.9 x 6.3 x 9.4")
Weight 3.0kg (6.6lbs)

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
The JBL LSR305 just fits your depth requirement. I would strongly consider it.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Keep em coming I really appreciate the suggestions.

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
If the Q300 is too big you my try its little brother. The KEF Q100 $399 at A4L. With its concentric design you could place it upside down if you wanted and it would still behave the same. It is front ported so placing on a book shelf wont be a problem. The only issue is it 10.7 inch depth... so it will come off your shelf about an inch. of course that actually could help with the imaging as your speaker wont have to deal with the side walls of the book shelf and the possible echo that you could get from being an enclosed area. Up to you if it works aesthetically.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/kefq100bl/kef-q100-q-series-5-1/4-inch-black-bookshelf-speakers-pair/1.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwn4iiBRDFh76wlfCVuYABEiQAwWJ1Itw2H8hvMg76W-QdzMtvbM96a4OAcVw48m2LjXbS1a8aApki8P8HAQ

Saturn94

Saturn94

Enthusiast
If the Q300 is too big you my try its little brother. The KEF Q100 $399 at A4L. With its concentric design you could place it upside down if you wanted and it would still behave the same. It is front ported so placing on a book shelf wont be a problem. The only issue is it 10.7 inch depth... so it will come off your shelf about an inch. of course that actually could help with the imaging as your speaker wont have to deal with the side walls of the book shelf and the possible echo that you could get from being an enclosed area. Up to you if it works aesthetically.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/kefq100bl/kef-q100-q-series-5-1/4-inch-black-bookshelf-speakers-pair/1.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwn4iiBRDFh76wlfCVuYABEiQAwWJ1Itw2H8hvMg76W-QdzMtvbM96a4OAcVw48m2LjXbS1a8aApki8P8HAQ

The controlled directivity of the tweeter should also help minimize the effect of bookshelf placement.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
All I have family members' HT/Stereo I am putting together. Right now my options for front sound stage is going to be a pair of bookshelf speakers that will have to be put into a bookcase shelves on the side of a large entertainment center. The speakers will be about 10-12 feet apart and will have to lay on their side. Also the shelf is only about 10" deep. So I need a relatively shallow speaker that will still image well on a tight shelf. So not sure if that will push me toward a front port or sealed speaker. My budget is maximum $700 for the pair. I will not be using a center channel due to entertainment cabinet restrictions. I will be incorporating a sub with these in the price range of $500 dollars or so. So if can assist in the low end response. I want something that will be able to throw a large sound stage if possible wiht these restrictions. Thanks for the Help!!
Take a look at these, PSB Imagine Mini's

Their measured resposne

The subjective review;
http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php/equipment-reviews/368-psb-imagine-mini-loudspeakers

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis