Blu-ray Technology: Why? When?

<P><FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=2>The DVD Insider is back with a look at the new high definition DVD formats and why he thinks they may not be dominating the market with quite the speed that is expressed by the manufacturers. Make no mistake, Hollywood <EM>wants </EM>high-definition, if only for the&nbsp;increased digital rights management potential and resulting file sizes and blank media costs. Whether Blu-ray sells like gangbusters upon release is another story.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=2>[Read More]</FONT></P>

Last edited by a moderator:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I think most videoholics want HD video as well. I am always bummed after watching a show in HD at how much worse DVD typically looks with artiftifacts, etc. It is a very good format... and like plasma was out 7+ years ago, only a few will be getting HD disc players early on.

I would say that three or four years is definitely a minimum for any type of real push into homes for HD players. But, it doesn't stop me from salivating.

Anyone remember the early HD DSS receivers? The RCA DTC-100... It was slow, needed to be reset regularly, and broke often. It didn't stop it from selling for over a grand each and for people who got decent ones to use them to this day.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Clint DeBoer said:
Make no mistake, Hollywood <EM>wants </EM>high-definition, if only for the&nbsp;increased digital rights management potential and resulting file sizes and blank media costs. Whether Blu-ray sells like gangbusters upon release is another story.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=2>[Read More]</FONT></P>
Of course, Hollywood(MPAA) is an idiot, just as the RIAA is an idiot, when it comes to DRM bull. They will, of course, stop exactly zero actual piraters of material, regardless of their DRM efforts. However, I expect large numbers of pissed-off legitimate users. :rolleyes:

-Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
I've never watched HDTV (other than seeing it at Sears). I can't afford it and I'd rather not know how good it is. That's why I was so glad when the proposed governmental drop-dead date for everyone switching to HDTV was dropped.

Besides, with Blu-Ray and HD DVD coming out at nearly the same time, I think I"ll sit back and watch them duke it out before I waste my money. I did the same with VHS vs. Beta. I waited until Beta was dead and buried before I ever bought my first VCR.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I'd characterize myself as an "early adopter." But I'm with Shadow Ferret, here- I'll probably sit back and watch the battle for awhile, and only jump in once one format begins to assert its dominance.

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
That article presents one point of view. I personally can't wait to get my hands on it. But the format war will most likely keep me on the sidelines the first year as well. If it was just one format I'd jump in within a couple of months of the players hitting the shelves.

A lot of people keep using the VHS/Betamax comparison. Don't forget the DVD/DIVX fiasco that we can thank the pinhead CEO of CC for. I still don't shop there because of it. What a freaking dumb idea. And then Disney tried the Mission Impossible Discs where they stopped playing after 48 hours. Can these guys give us consumers a break? We have to go through this again? :confused:

I wish Toshiba/NEC would just throw up their white flag and give in so I can have my BD player next week. :D

goodman

goodman

Full Audioholic
I've never watched HDTV (other than seeing it at Sears). I can't afford it
It's time to drag yourself out of Sears and into BJ's, where they have a name-brand 27" CRT HDTV for about $450.00. They have a flat screen LCD 23" wide-screen HDTV for $900.00. They have rear projection CRT starting at about $900.00. I'm sure Sam's and Costco have comparable deals. And while you're there, in case you're still watching VHS, pick yourself up a progressive scan DVD player for $50.00!

Last edited:
HookedOnSound

HookedOnSound

Full Audioholic
Great article!

I feel pretty much the same way in respect to when the consumer market will adopt HD formats but add 2 more years, say closer to 2008-2009.

Re: In order to take advantage of HD players, you need HD Displays. CRT TVs can easily last 5-7 yrs so the Joe SixPack that goes and and buys one today (CRT TV), installs it, and even if it only last 4 years, we're looking at 2009 before his next unit purchase which will obviously be an HD capable unit...

Myself, I did the stupid thing of buying an ext. warranty with my 32" inch TV so the wife definitely won't let me upg. to an HDTV till after the warranty expires in another 2 yrs...in 2 yrs+a day I have a feeling my TV will have a little 'accident'... :D

Hopefully by then the HD DVD / Blue-Ray format will be sorted out.

Another point I would like to make. Is there some kind of internet petition we can sign to let Hollywood know where to shove their DRM (digital rights mgmt.) B***sh1T? I don't like the ideal of not being able to make backups of my DVDs/CDs.

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
HookedOnSound said:
Re: In order to take advantage of HD players, you need HD Displays. CRT TVs can easily last 5-7 yrs so the Joe SixPack that goes and and buys one today (CRT TV), installs it, and even if it only last 4 years, we're looking at 2009 before his next unit purchase which will obviously be an HD capable unit...
Joe sixpack isn't buying HDTV's, Plasma or LCD TV's, didn't but a DVD player until five years after they were available, and won't buy an HD DVD player for at least five years after they come out. So what? :eek:

With several million HDTV's already in use in the major economic countries there will be an immediate market for HD DVD. Just like DVD, it won't become mainstream for a few years. Bring it on because I'm ready. :D :D :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis