Blu-Ray players with Roku built in.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Many, if not all, Blu-Ray players have internet apps, but I don't think any are expandable beyond what they include.

TCL and others make smart TV's that use Roku as their internet Apps interface

Since Roku allows access to a wide selection of different apps, I'd really like to find a Blu-ray player (not 4k) that uses Roku as their internet apps interface.

Anyone ever heard of one of these?

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Never seen one, and I couldn't find one via search. Honestly the added cost to any BR player would most likely exceed the expense of a Roku Stick.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I hear ya but for the convenience, it just might be worth it. IMNSHO. But, by that token, how much would it cost to replace the handful of apps they do offer with one that can do pretty much anything?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Most of the established manufacturers of Blue Ray players are also manufacturers of SmartTVs, and unfortunately, when they got into the SmartTV business, they decided they could design their own streaming interface.
Although it is kind of crappy compared to Roku, they all have a mature streaming interface, and companies like Sony, Vizio, LG, etc have too much corporate ego to throw out their own system and start paying licensing fees to Roku.
The amazing rise of TCL out of nowhere has taken advantage of the popularity of the Roku system (along with competent TV design) to become one of the leading manufacturers!
Sharp has also adopted Roku for their TV's but IME they have glitches - the one I am familiar with takes from 15 to 45 minutes to connect to the internet when you turn it on. The TCL models don't have this problem!
But I think you are not too likely to see a Roku BluRay player until TCL (or Sharp) decides to make a BD player (which may never happen).
I think it is an idea that would be successful if someone does it! IME, replacing my Roku player roughly every three years has been a nice improvement in how responsive the streamer is. I expect to keep a TV at least twice that long, so I would expect the streaming performance/features in a TV to become outdated before I'm ready to get a new TV. I would be more willing to replace my BD player every 3 years; however, I am still completely happy with the Sony BD player I got 7 years ago (aside from the streaming "smart" aspect)!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I like the Roku but they don’t support Atmos for Netflix yet. Not sure that matters to most people though.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Most of the established manufacturers of Blue Ray players are also manufacturers of SmartTVs, and unfortunately, when they got into the SmartTV business, they decided they could design their own streaming interface.
Although it is kind of crappy compared to Roku, they all have a mature streaming interface, and companies like Sony, Vizio, LG, etc have too much corporate ego to throw out their own system and start paying licensing fees to Roku.
The amazing rise of TCL out of nowhere has taken advantage of the popularity of the Roku system (along with competent TV design) to become one of the leading manufacturer:rolleyes:s!
Sharp has also adopted Roku for their TV's but IME they have glitches - the one I am familiar with takes from 15 to 45 minutes to connect to the internet when you turn it on. The TCL models don't have this problem!
But I think you are not too likely to see a Roku BluRay player until TCL (or Sharp) decides to make a BD player (which may never happen).
I think it is an idea that would be successful if someone does it! IME, replacing my Roku player roughly every three years has been a nice improvement in how responsive the streamer is. I expect to keep a TV at least twice that long, so I would expect the streaming performance/features in a TV to become outdated before I'm ready to get a new TV. I would be more willing to replace my BD player every 3 years; however, I am still completely happy with the Sony BD player I got 7 years ago (aside from the streaming "smart" aspect)!
Like I said up top, I already have two Roku's and love them. The only reason asked is that my Sony 390 Blu-Ray I've had since 2010 just died and I'm looking for a replacement. Can't blame a guy for trying, can you?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I do wonder if Roku was going to do that they'd have done it already. We're starting to see the demise of discs/players remember....

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I do wonder if Roku was going to do that they'd have done it already. We're starting to see the demise of discs/players remember....
I'll believe it is actually happening when Sony pulls out of the BD/DVD market!
(but in the meantime, I'm not buying stock in RedBox!)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis